The Island At The South

Jocund Journey

The adamant air sways as the pebbles of ashen hues lie of hunger, hunger of companions; the companions who can once again restore the lost laughter of this island. The palace stood still in the midst of silence and gloom of the hills. Dilapidated daffodils danced so humble to the quiet discord of the Island of the South, Goremo. The ashen soil of the area reflects the eloquent skies up above who seems overcast and mad. It began its wrath by showering Goremo with lachrymal precipitations that soon dries and ignorantly winds up to the sea.

As this rain pours to the depths of sorrow, pools full of emerald moss lies of longing and comparison. Its abandoned fun compliments the once beautiful shores of Goremo, the shores once filled with people enjoying a summer swimming by the beach as the most elegant palace of history stood at the nearby hills of the island. The palace once crimson and filled with shining chandeliers and luminous lights and golden pillars designed with Corinthian patterns. The palace experienced this dilapidated history of threads constructed by joy and gloom; a gloom that erupted by the inner cores of the Volcano, a volcano who boiled smiles with no relaxations nor serenity, hence, blood and flesh.

“Really?! We are having the field trip overseas?” Takane exclaimed.

“Yes. It came from Fuka-sensei’s words, It’s Goremo, the island.” Yukari stated as cold as winter’s blizzard.

The Chroniclers stormed their opinions as Yukari announced news to the group. It was a trip, to the Island at The South, Goremo. This exhilarating topic never made it to give everyone the same feeling as it is. A trip of academics and adventure feels vague itself, in addition to this bland and bored atmosphere, think of what lies beyond this mysterious island who once portrayed luxury and elegance.

“Goremo? It’s an island at the south west of Silvermyster City.” Sayuri followed as she held an atlas by her hand.

“But it wasn’t a resort in present days since the 1993 volcanic eruption.” Netsuro added in conclusion as he chomps on his chocolate fudge brownies glazed with caramel and oozing with glucose icings.

“But since it’s destroyed, why would Fuka-sensei still wants us to travel there?” Unagi asked as he dribbled a ball, up and down, up and down.

“You have a good point Unagi.” Ryuka added.

“It’s an investigatory project to inspect about the pools which are abnormally concentrated with chlorine.” Yukari answered.

“Obscure it is.” Netsuro thought.

“It really is but when will be this trip and how long will it be?” Sayuri followed with pessimissism.

“Two days from now and unfortunately, we’re going to stay for two nights because the chlorine concentration is observed by nightfall. It emits neon like tone in pools.” Yukari stated in pure details.

“But why two nights? Isn’t a single evening enough?”

“It isn’t by the day we leave, it is predicted to have a full moon but it is forty percent presumption leaving us no choice to wait for two nights; the first day for rest and tour then second day for the investigation. ” Yukari said with no excitement on her face as if truancy sympathizes her emotions that are recently bland and evacuated.

As these redolent rubies of peril shine of convenience to the scarlet sun, clouds clump together as if in great fear. Cacophony it was when it started to rain again; Thunders roared and lightning flashes, it was an exhilarating sight full of scare and curses. As these hands of the clock lazily flicked over tiny lines and numbers, Netsuro Ichini, Sayuri Minakaze, Takane Hyushima, Unagi Mashima, Yomi Yunamori, Yukari Tashigawa, Kazami Kamara and Ryuka Ahikaga pack their items of science, practicality, logic and habits along with the others in Class 3-1 who’ll soon be having their trip for the next 6 hours.

Netsuro brought his undying dictionary, his notebook of poems, vocabulary words and facts about science. Of course he never fails to bring his favorite; brownies. 12 pack to make him full for the journey.

Sayuri packed her atlas, history books and translation notes from Ancient Phoenician to English. She may bring all of this yet she never forgot her Encyclopedia made by her father which she never dared to open.

Takane put her DSLR camera at her tiny knapsack, a pair of notebooks, and ribbons of course to tie her hair in a ponytail while Unagi did the same thing; packed very little items such as a pair of clothes. Yomi also brought the same things yet he added eyedrops to prevent his eyes from getting sore.

Ryuka brought her tablet, lop top and her topaz watch.

Yukari packed the least. She just brought a sketch pad, a dress and a pair of socks as for Kazami who brought the most; his kendo sword, trines of shirts and his teddy bear pair, the one with a white fine fur and the other one with a brown course fur. Both of them were gifts by his parents who died back in 2003 because of a car accident. Their heads were cracked open revealing their rough skulls who soon burnt into flames as their van exploded in pure fury leaving lachrymal scenarios in the visions of Kazami.

The class, one by one, got into the boat with their polychrome bags on their hands, shoulders and bodies.
Netsuro with his friends sat at the end of the boat. They can see the serene sorrow of the suppressed seas of the island at the south. The air blows the humidity to their excited faces that restricts awareness and wisdom. Lachrymal landscapes hides from fear of this velvet vim that waits in a disoriented safety of this unfamiliar island.

“Fuka-sensei! Look!” Tori, the second female student of Class 3-1, exclaimed.

“It’s the island. As I said, ‘We are going to stay at Goremo for two days at the palace of the Mystiques’ No scandalous behavior nor rules-defying acts. Anyone that is seen doing these will be sanctioned back at the school. Do I make myself clear?”

All of them answered in affirmed unison.

The white boat slashed its way through waves and fishes. It was white with black borders, a classical design it would be but as the waves revealed it’s half bottoms, it can be observed that it’s full of stains, so black like a rotten blood cried through decades. It neared the island and reached the pier in a pair of hours as Netsuro’s brownies got sliced half in number. The chroniclers’ faces were bland and as if they’re not interested in the adventure except for Yukari whose busy checking the attendance of all the Class 3-1 since the president, Misaki, did not attended. The roll call finished its task and all of them proceeded to the palace.

Along the way was a juvenile ignorance; dilapidated pools, straws of vines and withered trees. Oaks of this forest were enormous and gigantic as it embraces the sunlight, prohibiting it to shine its glory to the soil. The jocund students continued walking to the furthest of their miserable journey.

As they neared a structure of great antiquity, Sayuri notices a structure as well yet in different measures, a knee-high opalescent rock under the wide shades of the old oak standing on the abandoned mosses of Goremo. It never shined its luminous activities as darkness embraces her true beauty. On the rock it’s engraved:

Of safety measures and invisible guild,
I henceforth warn when velvet’s frilled.
Luminescence’s dark, secret of death,
Hold on to last songs of your breath.

“How dark I would say.” Netsuro compliments as he chomps on his last brownie with dark chocolate toppings as dark as the poem.

As he finishes his brownie of everlasting sweetness, they walk towards a palace of sturdy elegance. Emerald mosses embrace that certain white flesh of the structure as the glass was intact in its rusted bronze frames.

“Knock! Knock! Knock!”

All of them held their breath as the door engraved with elegant swirls and vines creaked to its lung’s peak. Behind the 20 feet door, awaits a breath-taking sight of literal meanings inside.

To the peak of Fuka’s toes, she set foot inside the house; a step to oppression. They continued walking towards the grand lobby of the palace. It was gigantic. One can hear echoes of unwanted noises clearly without ado. It’s unambiguous in science; an atmosphere no one ever wanted to feel.

The radiance seems to flourish the day of pure coldness and blandness over the three building palace of the Mystiques; one of the people whom labeled as Hall of the Mystiques where enormous portraits of them hang in silence as Mystique Crystals lie their graves over human-high obelisks. The quiet air never fails to let out a hair tingling aura; an aura, of absolute horror.
In sarcastic measures they set their dull shoes inside the palace, one… by one.

“Good Morning Madam!” A cheerful voice from behind uttered before the door closes in grateful pleasure. The voice was old and undistorted. In some ways, Class 3-1 felt a bit of convenience as Nisan, the palace’s caretaker had his welcoming greeting that appeared forced in thoughts of Netsuro as he looked around the ceiling full of beams so sturdy yet dull.

“Ohayo Nisan-sama.” Fuka-sensei bowed with Class 3-1 in great pleasure which was returned by Nisan with a painted smile.

“Ichini-kun and Kamara-kun, this is your room…” Nisan introduced as he opened a door named “Room 152”.

“Arigaton-Gozaimasu.” They both replied.

Netsuro and Kazami both entered a room full of nothing but plain convenience; a pair of white bed separated by coffee table, a big wardrobe at the bed’s feet and a window with velvet curtains and a mossy balcony outside.

“Why does this palace have numbers on rooms like the hotels in Silvermyster have?” Kazami asked in confusion and irregular feeling towards the atmosphere which seems quite bothering.
Before an unaltered answer, a silent wind blew behind

Netsuro; a wind with cold touch of rain and ignorance. A pain of no one ever experiences behind windows of the past and future, defying every hour for hopes and mercy.

“The idea I have is far more of science can explain. Neither psychology can answer that right away.”
As the two of them arranged their things in uniformity, other Chroniclers were designated in different rooms and hallways which appear blank and clearly truanted; a place with silence but disturbed with ignorant malevolence.

Netsuro and Kazami both placed their solace in the room yet still disturbed with the aura of the window beside Kazami’s bed. The aura envelops from the blurry glass till the mossy velvet sills of it. Something like these moss dips like dried blood all over, like sprinkled with gushed blood along the nearby blocks of each window; such as the chroniclers in rooms 153-155; Ryuka and Takane, Sayuri and Yukari and Unagi and Yomi respectively.

Students linger the corridors of the abandoned dorm, inspecting its glory and vexed antiquity. On its borders of brownish hues, sorrow and dilapidation is obviously noticed. A dorm similar to ancient houses back in renaissance where there are tall human sized windows holed on walls that covers the dorm in conservation. Stairs that lead to school like structures yet mixed with faded trails of cries and pleas, an establishment unintended for neither comfort nor convenience yet for memorial and lachrymose.

In shadows beyond these walls lies knowledge of abnormalities occurring in the island. At some point some of them will wonder; are we here for science, or for something unexplainable? Like of privet’s diminished grains and polyglot’s forgotten languages.

“Class 3-1, gather up!” Fuka-sensei called by the evacuated lobby with no other people than her.

One by one, foot came down step by step towards her as if in uniform marching position yet lastly came the chroniclers, still glancing and in thought of every nook and wall which they saw bland and blank.

“The reef’s chauffeur had a hospital emergency for his family. He cannot go check us nor fetch us for the next 2 days. That will only mean one thing; we will go home when he arrives which is likely to be after a couple of days.”

“But how come you received his message Fuka-sensei? There’s no signal for any device here? My phone’s been off since our arrival.” Rita, her pupil asked.

“The caretaker has a radio transmitter for only one cellphone. He created a connector for provision to have on cellphone appropriate signal.”

“How innovative style I would compliment him. Can I have a look Fuka-sensei?” Netsuro asked in excitement.

“Unfortunately not Ichini-san. The caretaker left the island since he finished distributing you in rooms, he took a boat and went off to the city to buy us dinner.”

“Then that means we are the only people here?” Ayuri hysterically asked.

“No Dehoshi-san. His son is here but he is not feeling well for today so the caretaker asked me to look for his son while he is away. Eitherway around, take your rests and feel free to explore.”

As she finished a statement of ignorance and unawareness, an imaginative drum roll echoed through the void as if in a game between death and life; a game no one ever dares to enter due to its possessed vexed mechanics and unfair prizes that’ll throw out souls into wide windows of peril and punishment.

“These are chlorine?!” Takane exclaimed in shock for what she saw is abnormal enough to occur enough on this biosphere.

The water embraces the hues of the eloquent skies up above. Science never explains such weird phenomenon. Some scientists and spectators often claim to be an honest mistake yet unbelievably, it isn’t. Some speculators said of abandonment and dilapidations, exposed in stillness and not tampered.

“Science never does this. It is pure fictional but it sits right in front of our naked eyes. Ryuka, did you bring your mini microscope?” Netsuro stated in confused amazement.

“Yes I did but I left it back in the dorm. I’m going to get it right away.”

“No need. I’ll just put some inside my tumbler. The need for you to run is none.” Netsuro said as he pours his half filled water tumbler which he used after eating his brownies.

Other chroniclers took their own opportunity to look and do whatever they wanted; Ryuka walked and inspected the trees that appeared dull and out of tone leaves. Yukari sat under the dark shades of an old oak as she drew her OC who have wide wings like angels does that somewhat portrays an indirect feeling about the island at the south.

Takane busied herself by taking different shots of the bountiful nature yet what Netsuro calls, the bounty is none. Sayuri goes back to a usual routine, inspecting and tries to make an amateur map of the place. Unagi studied every leaf nearby. He doubted its abilities for it is reddish in color. He got and put them inside his pocket. Yomi is with Netsuro watching him with safety gloves get water from the pool. Kazami on the other hand strokes his teddy bear gently.

As Kazami pleasures his bear, he noticed a pendant, a bronze one to be exact. It was rusted. Upon opening, he saw a picture, a picture of a woman in her late 30s.

“Guys! Guys look at these.” He shouted.

“It’s a pendant. Judging on characteristics, the design was used back then. I think I saw it once in my encyclopedias. It was used by people in Silvermyster as a sign of love during Valentines Day. It’s a local tradition.” Sayuri stated.

“I saw it right here Sayuri-san. Its necklace peeks out the soil. It wasn't that shiny yet I think it was intended to be
seen.”

“But by whom? Isn't it a bit paranoid if we think that thing peeks out of the soil and bulges out of nowhere? No that please.” Unagi hystericized, a word I use to people who react so paranoid without thinking and using science as a module for nothing.

“Judging on the picture,I would say it was dropped a week ago. Pictures such as that one decomposes on moist soil just in one week.” Yukari suggested in artistic measures.

“I would agree to that Yuka-san” Netsuro said “But the other question is Who dropped it?”

“I only know one person to ask.”

“Konnichiua… Rura…san”

As she greeted Rura, the caretaker's fourteen-year old only son, with inquiry, the clouds suddenly blurted out melancholy to the island at the south, Goremo. Clouds cried for their own safety which they never experienced to be hanging off from a cliff.

“Kon... nichiua... my father's not here... gomen.. nasai...”

“But we are here for you not him. We would just like to ask...” Takane explained yet before she finished a sentence of acquisition, an expected response followed.

“You... shall... not... get things... Without CONSENT!”

After that, Rura fell on his knees. His anger pushed him to the brink of his vitality; a vim no one can ever have…

“Accept our apologies Rura-san. Our intention to neither hurt nor offend you is none. Please. Accept our apologies.” Netsuro said as he bowed his head in pure humility yet embedded with fear. Fear of something he cannot explain nor science will ever will.

“There’s nothing for you to ask forgiveness. It is I who needs to.” The fourteen year old lad utters as he tries to get up on his knees and sit on his chair as Yomi helps him to.

“Forgive me. I was feeling… bad… since this morning. It just triggered… my mood… Sorry.” He apologized as he coughs once in a while.

“Don’t worry Rura. I’ll get some Thyme for your cough.”
Unagi suggested.

“Thank you but my… father already bought some in the city. My father told me you’re from Silvermyster but what brings you all here?”

“We are conducting a research about the abnormalities in the island, especially with the supersaturated chlorine in pools such as this one.” Netsuro explains as he shows his tumbler full of chlorine.

“You remind me of my father. He’s smart, innovative and logical. Not only you, but all of you. Anyway, heed my other warning. It came from your own words that this island is full of abnormalities. You can study anything in here but never get nor move anything here… that… is why….”

“Onegai Rura-san… Stop forcing yourself. Unagi is on his way.” Sayuri advised as Unagi enters the room with a handful of Thyme. He proceeded to the kitchen and boiled the said leaves.

“We’ll just wait for it to boil and it’s ready to go. Anyway, where is Fuka-sensei?”

“I don’t know. She left me five minutes before your arrival. I think she proceeded to the woods and inspected the place for tomorrow’s activity.”

All of them turned uneasy upon hearing his answer. Their worries for Rura shifted to their teacher who is recently trapped in the woods. A situation no one feels pleasure in it. Along with the melancholic skies, dark shady trees and unexplainable atmosphere, Fuka stands and waits in pure fear under either one of many trees inside the woods.

“We need to look for her guys.” Yomi suggested.

“But before that, we need to put this back already inside the dorm.” Netsuro said as he lifts up his tumbler full of chlorine.

“Unagi, Sayuri stay here with Rura. Netsuro, Ryuka and Kazami, start inspecting about the chlorine. Takane, Yukari and I will look for her. Understood?” Yomi supervised as all of them lifts up all their bags.

“Arigatou Rura-san!” All of them exclaimed.

Netsuro, Ryuka and Kazami walked as the umbrella covers their heads in undefined comfort. They surpassed the winds that try to blow them up to the sky’s abode.

Yukari, Takane and Yomi on the other hand set foot to the forest whom recently shaded with nightfall’s breath. They vigorously stepped to the loamy soil that appears dark skies of a stormy night. They all shouted in parts yet no answers came to place.

“Fuka-sensei?”

“It is she!” Yukari exclaimed

“Fuka-sensei! Wake up!” Takane shakes her away from unconsciousness. She unnervingly shakes her as mud scatters through her arms.

“We need to bring her back but we can’t.” Yukari explained.

“I’ll lift her.” Yomi offered.

“No you won’t! We can’t lift her!” Takane contradicts.

“We must! We don’t have options.”

“What do you have there Sayuri-san?” Rura asked.

“It’s an encyclopedia given by my mom. This encyclopedia gives every facts on island’s geographical instructions. It as well explains first aid measures for injuries and any other minor casualties.”

“There are many things science can never explain. My mother always tells me that. She gave me a pendant to remember it yet I lost it back then when I nearly drowned and now, I even lost the pendant. How unethical of me.”

“We found a pendant earlier by the pool, a bronze one for exact measures. It has picture of a lady in her late 30s.” Unagi stated.

“Can I see it?”

"Of course. Here it is.” Sayuri said as she shows a dirtied pendant they got earlier by the rigged ruffles of the pool, down to its soil underneath.

As he saw the pendant shining behind some tracks of soil left from its abandonment, his eyes bulged out from his sockets. Exaggerated shock enveloped his expression. He cannot believe that through the hours he spent looking for it for the past two weeks, some amateurs had seen it without difficulty. Then later on a passage lingers through his mind; “There are things science can never explain”.

As the clock stroke six, Netsuro, Kazami and Ryuka reached the brink of the hallway outside the doors of a room with number 152. They entered it and as Kazami sets his foot inside, he was welcomed by a gust of wind through the window; a wind so cold so freezing and hair-tingling. All of them, shocked by what embraced their skins, looked at each other in pure confusion. After moments of alteration of emotions, one by one they set up the tools for investigation. Ryuka and Netsuro went and got the mini microscope and set up the specimen glass in an appropriate manner as Kazami stayed all by himself in room 152 and tries to clean up the mess before the experiment. Suddenly, another gust of wind blew inside the room and a thought lingered in his mind, a silent voice so familiar and seemed bidding its restrained messages, a voice that whispered as his bears fell on the floor:

“We love you, Kazami.”
As Netsuro and Ryuka entered the room 152, a sight something that will shock them to the brink of their knowledge, a sight of fear and longing strikes their hearts.
“Kazami!”

“Help! Help! Guys!” Yukari shouts at the top of her lungs calling for class 3-1 to aid them in carrying Fuka-sensei.

Eun along with other males in class 3-1 helped them and as they carried her all the way to the lobby, Takane got some fans and water to relieve Fuka-sensei’s unconsciousness. After such efforts, things fall back in place yet something is yet to prevail. Fuka-sensei yelled in soaking-wet and muddy covered body. The words were:

“It can be… NO!!!”…

...

Dear Reader,
Things exaggerated are nothing but reality. Things we expected are nothing but fiction generated by our playful minds; minds whom hoped for favorable occasions for ourselves. Furthermore, things such as expectations, imaginative coincidences and hopes give faith and overcome ignorance beyond truth and other reality.
In Netsuro’s persona, all things are ambiguous in every way; ambiguous in such paths to be covered with fear, mysteries and secrets. All things abnormal in a different perspective and not all things are logical in a scientific way, which only hearts can only answer. Thoughts to be transferred though embraced messages from voids or fulfillment.
Now, the next chapter shall be answers that’ll linger through your mind throughout their jocund journey that all lachrymal lacewings are death in their paths and sacrifices are grave in every way.
Sincerely yours,
The Black Rose