Status: I'm still in the process of writing this as I am doing snippets here and there whenever I write it. I might update daily or weekly depending on the time I have to write.

Descendants of Heroes

Corra Sang

After the monster appeared, I didn't think I would be surprised when Nyssa had changed, the spear in her hand. I knew that it was the ancestor, but I couldn't be sure which one it was. But this one seemed to have more control than the others I had seen. I stayed where I was, knowing full well that the lion would only go after Nyssa.

The expression on Nyssa's face was kind of scary. It was a smirk that sent a shiver down my spine.

“Well, monster. I guess Heracles didn't do his job of destroying you.” The voice wasn't Nyssa's voice, something more masculine and filled with power. Nyssa hefted the spear, looking right into the monster's eyes. “Demon of Hades, fall back to your womb.”

The lion roared at Nyssa and started to swiped at her. The lion was a bit slower than the ancestor as the ancestor easily dodged its strikes. I felt useless, unable to really help them. I was already injured form the descendant before. I guess all I was really doing was standing there and growling. I watched as the ancestor controlling Nyssa toyed with the monster. Whenever the ancestor striked the monster with his spear, it bounced off harmlessly.

“Come on, monster. Show me your weak spot.” I watched as the ancestor went to strike at the monster's maw and it immediately shut it's mouth. My mind started to reel.

That was its vulnerable spot. I bit my lip as I forced myself to stay focused. The ancestor was working to get its mouth open, but the monster would not comply. I decided to pull a bold move and half limped, half walked toward the beast. I shouldn't be afraid of death anymore. I was one of them. I grabbed the lion's mane, yanking its head back to keep it's mouth open. I was a lot weaker than I had first thought. I was struggling to keep its mouth open. I cursed under my breath.

“Kill it!” I hissed a bit more as the monster snarled and tried to claw away from me.

My eyes felt like they were burning, the pain in my leg searing to my mind like a bushfire. I saw the confused look crossing over Nyssa's face, but I guess he decided that there was really no time for him to think about it. He shifted the spear in his hand in a more javelin-like manner. He threw it at the lion's maw. I even heard the snap as it hit something inside its maw.

The creature gagged and pushed itself away from me, continuing to gag but unable to hack up the spear lodged in its throat. It finally fell limp, its essence starting to expire from the body, every part of the monster smoking until it was just an ashen mark on the floor. I could hear the ancestor gasping for breath, though, I couldn't tell if it was from the battle with the lion, or if it was because he wasn't use to Nyssa's body. He looked at him, narrowing Nyssa's eyes and furrowing her eyebrows. It was not a natural look on her face.

“You mortal.” I slightly flinched. I wasn't technically “mortal” anymore. “There's something I don't like about you. And if you do anything to hurt Nyssa, I will come out personally and kill you.”

My eyes narrowed when he started to talk down to me, my arms crossing over my chest. I heard him chanting under his breath slightly and watched as Nyssa fell back on her knees, panting a bit.

“Dang...” She was back to normal, her voice a bit more like her. But it sounded kind of panicky to me. She looked at the ashen powder and indentation in her floor, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. “What happened? What did I miss?”

My face, I felt it softening. I held out my hand to help her to her feet. “Nothing really.” I murmured, hoping that she hadn't seen me limping.

She looked at me, gently taking my hand to stand up.

“What's wrong with your eyes? And what did Achilles do?” She looked into my eyes, and I knew I couldn't lie to her. Not after all this. “Cory, what happened? Tell me everything.”

I blinked slightly and sighed as I looked at her.

“Nothing's wrong with them...” I said, shrugging and blinking heavily. I looked back at her, struggling to actually stay on my feet. “He killed the lion... It came to kill you, so he killed it by stabbing it in the mouth with his spear...” I said, leaving out the part about myself managing to yank it's mouth open, even though I was pretty weak when I was doing said action.

I noticed her shaking her head.

“I know something is wrong with them. Before, they were only one solid color. Before I was hospitalized. Now...” She paused slightly and looked around. I had noticed that the room wasn't as damaged as it could have been. Though, I brought my attention back on her, seeing her wide eyes. She backed away from me slightly. “Did he tell you... No... You knew...” She looked away from me, a deeper wound opening in my chest.

“Nyssa... My eyes have always been like this... I've always worn contacts...” I looked down slightly and took a deep breath. She had connected the dots. A thought that never really seemed to becoming real. I looked at her. “And yes. I did know.”

I watched her, blinking more and pressing my hand to the wound on my lef. She finally looked back at me, biting her lip.

“Why hide it?” she looked down where I was holding my leg, seeing the blood. “Let me see your wound. I don't know how she knew exactly, but I wasn't really going to argue with her.