Status: I'm still in the process of writing this as I am doing snippets here and there whenever I write it. I might update daily or weekly depending on the time I have to write.

Descendants of Heroes

Nyssa Pierre

Don't trust him. He knows what you are. If he knows what you are, that means he is probably in companionship with someone who knows that descendants exist.

I didn't really want to believe Achilles. Even though the evidence was right in front of me. I looked up at Cory, pushing all my emotions away. I had to worry about one thing at a time. Right now, I had to worry about his wound that he had been hiding from me.

“How long have you known?” I sat him on the couch and started to roll up his jean pant leg to get a better look at his wounds.

They looked like claw marks, or nails ripping against skin. He took a deep breath and sighed softly.

“I don't know how long it was...” he admitted. “Probably since you knew...” He shrugged and closed his eyes. “I had had to hide my eyes. They scare people away from me...” He mumbled, his shoulders shaking.

I looked over his wounds and took a deep breath.

“Don't move.” I put my hands over his wounds and bit my lip as I concentrated on healing, using the reserves from Achilles' own power. His wounds started to heal, turning white and then disappearing. I unrolled his jean pant leg to put it down. “There...”

I felt a bit weak from drawing power from Achilles. I knew it was because calling on the power was taxing on a mortal body. Achilles had said so himself when I first tried it. That time didn't go according to plan. I looked up at Corra, a bead of sweat pouring down the side of my face.

“Cory, you didn't need to hide them from me. You know me already. And who cares what other people think? Look at what I am. That would creep anyone out. I'd get thrown in the insanity house if I wasn't careful.” I brought my gaze back to his face, taking a deep breath. “You can't tell anyone about me.” I looked down at my hands. “I've got enough monsters hunting me. Something is happening where no one around me is safe and I'm definitely not safe to be around.”

I clenched my hands slightly, thinking about how much of a danger I was to people anymore. I brought these monsters to people's lives without meaning to. Nothing was normal about me anymore. Curse it all, I thought.

“Nyssa...” I looked back at him, biting my lip. “Thank you. And I won't tell anyone, believe me.... You're not the only one with a big secret...” He hinted, biting his lip. I sighed softly.

“You're welcome. And I know you won't. And everyone has a big secret. Though, some people know what it is.”

There had to be others like me. There couldn't be just me. I listened to him murmur that his name was Corra. I started to rub my weak spot slightly, shivering at the touch of it, trying to think about how to respond. Rubbing that spot was like when a person loses feeling of a certain limb. Though, it was also that feeling of someone walking on my grave. Most of the time, I rubbed that spot to make sure I was real. I looked up at him finally and whispered, “You told me to call you Cory. The first time we met. That's probably the only way that I'll be able to call you by name.”

My gaze lingered on his face for a brief second, feeling something darker looming over him.

“Oh yeah...” I heard him say. “I remember now....” I noticed a movement in my peripheral vision, his hand trying to reach up and clean up the unruly, messy look he was sporting. I looked up, just in time to see the worry and fear in his eyes. I reached forward and gently grabbed his shoulder.

“Cory, what's wrong? You seem more fearful of me.” I knew my face would betray me, showing how worried I was.

He was still reeking of something that he was holding onto. Before, he had seemed more to earth than I was. Now, he seemed more distance. Like the world he was in didn't even exist. Or me for that matter. I watched him curiously as he gulped and hung his head.

“Nyssa... I'm a dangerous person... I have nothing against you. But I...I really think you should avoid me,” He mumbled as he slid down from the couch, burying his face in his hands. I don't know what to actually worry about more. What he was talking about, or how he was acting.

“Then why not tell me why you have become so....” I wasn't sure how to describe it. “Why you have become so distant from everyone else? Especially me?” I stood up, looking at the ground when he didn't answer. “I see then...”

I reached over for my jacket. I hadn't even gotten the chance to change before I was leaving again. I started to head out, only to have my voice of reason, Achilles, to stop me.

"Nyssa, think about what you are doing."

“I know what I am doing. He wants to be left alone. I'm just a stupid girl who doesn't understand the words, but I'm not going to stay. I put him in danger.” I knew by Corra's weird look that I had spoken to Achilles aloud. Though, the look was gone as he sprung to his feet.

“This is your house...” He pushed past me. “Stay. I'm leaving.” I watched him, kind of blinking in surprise.

At that point, I wasn't really sure what to do anymore. Achilles was right. I really didn't know who to trust. As I saw the trek that Corra was making, something snapped inside me. I dropped my jacket and bag. Call me empathetic, but I had tears in my eyes as I ran toward him. Maybe it was the fact that he was hurting and I felt it. Despite Achilles' protest, I rant straight at Corra.

“Cory!” When he turned around, I crashed into him, hugging him tightly and closing my eyes to hide my tears. I had heard him gulp, but that didn't stop him from wrapping his arms around me in a hug. He rested his chin on my head, a weird feeling after not really having human contact.

“I'm so sorry Nyssa... I'm-I'm just... So scared.” I felt his grip tighten around me and little droplets hit my hair. I felt my own tears start to fall again as I gripped his shirt.

“Don't apologize to me. Please...” I looked up at him. “You best get home. We have school tomorrow, right?” I was still trying to wrap my mind around why he was apologizing and why he was so scared. I reached up and brushed his tears away. He seemed to look into my eyes, kind of like the way you look into a pit.

“You have a point there. I really should be going. I'll see you tomorrow... At school.” He wiped the tears from my cheeks. My voice seemed to grow a bit smaller.

“Thank you for driving me home and staying here when the monster appeared.” I leaned up and kissed his cheek. “Thank you very much.” I gave a weak smile and headed back inside, seeing him nod.

“No need to thank me, Nyssa. It was my pleasure...” I came to the door and watched him head of his car and wave. “Have a good evening!”

His smile was small, but still very noticeable in the gloom.

“I'll see you tomorrow!” I waved until he slipped into the driver's seat and started the car.

I hoped that he would have a good night. But something was nagging at me that wasn't Achilles. That dark veil over him, it had grown stronger. But I wasn't sure of why it seemed to be growing stronger.