Status: I'm still in the process of writing this as I am doing snippets here and there whenever I write it. I might update daily or weekly depending on the time I have to write.

Descendants of Heroes

Corra Sang

The castle was more of nightmare when we approached the gates. One either side, there was a gargoyle that was shaped kind of like a harpy, a woman's face and bat-like wings. Their hands were talons and they looked exactly alike. The gate that they were both watching over looked like it was infused with human bones, like ribs and femurs and many different kinds of gemstones.

The gates opened by themselves, the skeletons prodding me with their weapons. I steeped forward and headed up the dark, obsidian staircase toward the castle. I peered around, trying to see where I was heading and what was going on.

We came to a set of double doors that seemed to be the main entrance. I looked at the etches that were all covering the door. There were many different scenes, depicting a lot of death and violence.

There were people slaying each other in cold blood, wars that were starting to turn into a blood bath, and plagues that were killing thousands. The skeletons opened the doors and pushed me forward. I landed on my knees in front of a throne, my head forced down as something sharp lifted the hood off my head.

“Look up Mortal.”

“Mortal?” I looked up at the pitchfork that was right at my face, then my focus went to the man on the throne.

His face was ashen and gray, like many of the spirits he seemed to be associated with. He had a pointed black beard and a pencil mustache. His eyes were pits with fire, something that felt more powerful than how a normal person would. A thin-lipped smile spread across his face.

“Hello, Cassandra.” I heard a gasp in the back of my mind.

The pitchfork tip touched my forehead, a scream emanating from the back of my mind. My eyes widened, I didn't even see the guy anymore. When my sight returned, a young girl was kneeled in front of me. She had long, dark hair. Her deep green eyes stared at the ground in front of her. She was gasping, trying to breath. Hades scoffed, getting up.

“You believed that you could hide from me, Cassandra?” I tried to get up and help her, but the skeletons pinned me down.

“Let me go!” I struggled slightly, though I was really weak. Hades reached over, grabbing the girl by the throat. She winced and whimpered. “Let her go! She hasn't done anything to you!”

Hades looked at the girl and whispered, “You are fooled, mortal. She's a hero, your ancestor.” I stopped fighting.

“My ancestor?” The girl looked at me, her eyes pleading.

She whispered, “Find him... And tell him...” I gasped slightly as Hades squeezed her into nothing. I shook.

“NO!” The skeletons had finally let me go.

I didn't really understand who she was or why I felt so strongly connected to her. After all, she was in my mind before Hades dragged her out. I felt that I should have done something to keep her there. Especially look for the guy that she wanted me to tell. I hit my fist against the ground. Tears had formed in my eyes. Hades tilted my head up by the tip of his pitchfork.

“Take him to Lethe, wipe his memory. Then bring him back.” My eyes widened and the skeletons grabbed me by my arms, dragging me from the throne. I started to struggle.

“Let me go! I can't lose my memories!” The skeletons continued to drag me away. And by Hades snide look, he had definite plans for me.