Status: I'm still in the process of writing this as I am doing snippets here and there whenever I write it. I might update daily or weekly depending on the time I have to write.

Descendants of Heroes

Nyssa Pierre

I was still staring out the window and thinking that I really needed to get out of the hospital. I didn't know where I would go, hadn't even planned that far, but I knew that I had to get out of there. My injuries didn't hurt and I was already healing faster than the doctors had expected.

I got up, forcing myself off the confines of the bed and staggering slightly to get my legs to wake up. I wanted to tell someone about what I had been experiencing for years, but I had no clue who to trust with that kind of information.

Don't trust anyone, Nyssa. There's always a reason why you can't trust anyone. If you trust someone, you have to be sure that they won't stab you in the back as soon as you tell them.” I grumbled slightly, reminding myself that he was in my thoughts, and so ergo, could read what I was thinking.

My mind went back to Corra, my only friend, but he still hadn't come to visit me. I assumed he thought that I was dead, Only by the fact that he was the only one that seemed to be there when I needed him most. I remembered the first time that he was there after my parent's accident.

I went over to my personal affects, feeling that numb tingling feeling starting to drain out of my legs and feet. I started to dig in my tattered jeans, surprised they weren't as badly mutilated as my shirt was. I pulled my phone out, surprised that it didn't even look scratched.

I took a deep breath and started to scroll through my contacts, searching for Cory's name. I looked at his name, staring at it for a while. I thought that maybe he wouldn't answer like the other times I tried to call him through the hospital phone. I took an even deeper breath and dialed his number. I waited patiently as the line continued to ring.

As the ringing continued, my mind was kind of reeling to the reasons he wasn't answering. The main reason was that I believed I had done something that made him aggravated to the point where he would avoid me. But, I couldn't think what I did. The only thing I could think of was that Achilles came out and took over my body when something happened (aka monsters).

Be careful Nyssa. Something is wrong with him.” Achilles had told me that after he first came out when Corra was around. I didn't want to believe Achilles, especially when it came to what was wrong. Corra to me was just a lone kid who needed a friend.

I gulped as the phone continued to ring. Finally, Corra answered.

“Nyssa? What's wrong?” I don't know why, but I felt my cheeks start to burn and hoped that he couldn't tell.

“Nothing's wrong, Cory. I guess I was kind of worried that I'd pick up your voice mail again. I was wondering how you were doing. Since you haven't come to visit me or tried to call me back.” I tried to keep how hurt I was out of my voice. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

“I'm going to try and get out of the hospital. I can't really stay cooped up in here.” I grabbed my tattered clothes. “Cory, is something going on at home?”

I heard him sigh over the phone. “i'm sorry Nyssa... I'm doing okay... and I-I'm sorry... I... I've been busy...” I heard him gulp and bit my lip slightly in worry. “are you sure you're well enough to walk home? I could come pick you up.” He had offered, slightly hopeful by the sound of it. But he was also pondering my other questions.

“And no. Nothing's going on at home. Everything's fine...” He mumbled slightly. I listened and chewed on my lip.

“You sound ill, are you sure you are ok? What have you been doing that has made you so busy?”

I knew that I asked a lot of questions, but it helped me with what I really wanted and needed to do. I looked around and found my main target: the bathroom. “I'm sure I'm actually well enough. Just some cuts and bruises. I should be fine. Might not be able to say the same for my clothes though... And you don't have to come pick me up. I know it's a long way to my house. And I don't want to inconvenience you.”

I started to put my street clothes on, switching the phone from each hand as I continued to play twister by missing the tatters. When I heard that nothing was happening, I mutter, “Ok...” Though, I wasn't convinced that there was nothing going on. I heard him sigh again.

“Yes. I'm sure I'm okay... And it's nothing really... visiting friends... and it's not an inconvenience... I'd be happy to....”

“Okay...” I finished with my converse, starting to lace them up while keeping the phone on my shoulder. “I'm pretty sure I'm well enough... still not feeling pain or anything. And are you sure? I can walk if you are still busy.”

I finished lacing up my other shoe and got up, heading out of the room and putting the phone in my hand. I heard the grunt over the phone and chewed on my lip. “Cory, are you sure you are ok? Did something happen over the phone or am I hearing things?”

Don't trust him.” I tried to ignore Achilles' annoying voice.

“Of course I'm fine... I just kicked the bed... and it's not a problem... I'm in the car already... I'll meet you by the hospital entrance so wait outside.” I passed the nurse station when I heard him yawn.

“Ok... I'll wait by the entrance. I'm sorry that you kicked your bed. I'll see you here then.” I hung up, having that nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach that Corra was hiding something from me.

But I couldn't figure out if it was just me or that he was hiding something from me. I didn't enjoy deviling in the thought that I couldn't trust him. I didn't believe I could accept it. I looked down at my hands, thinking about the creature that attacked me.

The more I tried to recall what happened, the further the memory seemed to go....