Sequel: Flare
Status: Edited version of Human After All for NaNoWriMo.

Human After All (II)

XXVIII

Beau never though he could ever feel so numb to everything around him. In a matter of seconds, his beloved bot had been shot, and Beau had allowed it to happen. He antagonized Mr. Rager. Beau brought on the shooting of Joshua, for no reason other than he didn't want to look weak.

"Joshua." Beau whispered, holding his hand in his own. Joshua looked down to his chest where the silver bullet entered his porcelain-like skin. Joshua traced his fingers over his clothing, barely grazing his fingers over the broken area. The bullet broke through the spot where his heart should have been, if only he were human. If Joshua was human, everything would be different.

Beau jumped at the sound of a weak laugh passing through his bot's dry lips.

"Look, master." Joshua pointed to his chest. Beau glanced at it, but a burning feeling filled his veins whenever he looked at it. Perhaps it was guilt, but it filled his veins like a burning venom. "I told you I don't have a heart."

"That's not funny." Beau scolded him. Joshua rolled his eyes.

"Not the best time for a joke?" He asked.

"Lejend, no!" Ethylon shouted suddenly. Beau turned his body slightly to find Lejend taking a shot at Mr. Rager. Beau grinned weakly. Within himself, Beau knew that Lejend could never have turned around her master so easily. He just wanted to know how long it would take for Lejend to reveal that she really was faking, so Ethylon would stop looking like a lost puppy.

Joshua, as strange as it seemed, didn't feel any pain. If he was supposed to be as human as a bot could get, shouldn't he feel the same pain as any other human? Then again, Joshua thought, his creator probably didn't put the idea of being shot into consideration. It's not everyday that a robot gets shot by a maniacal officer. Though there was this strange, sleepy haze falling over Joshua's mood. He didn't seem to be as energetic as he was before. Instead, a droop fell upon Joshua's eyes, and he was jolting to keep himself awake.

Just as Mr. Rager shot Joshua, Lejend shot him as well, landing a few, scattered bullets among his chest. Rager coughed out thick, crimson colored spit that forced its way up his throat and out of his mouth. He fell to his knees, coughing into a pool of blood before managing to fall on his side and gasp for one last breath. It looked so painful, Joshua thought. He was relieved he didn't have to feel that kind of pain.

Lejend spat on the ground near him before running next to Ethylon again. Ethylon smiled at his bot, pushing her hair out of her face.

"Still my girl." He smiled. She pushed his hand away impatiently, turning to where Joshua sat on the ground. She whimpered, almost like a dog, and then bolted towards both Beau and Joshua. Lejend fell on the ground next to Joshua, taking his hand within her own with a pained yelp. Joshua smiled at her, trying to reassure her that he was going to be okay, even though he was losing the reality of surviving in his own mind.

"Don't worry, Lejend." He smiled at her, though he didn't know how to continue that sentence. A freezing sensation flowed through every part of his body, like he was losing control. Joshua couldn't even describe how lost he was inside of his own body. "Don't worry," was all he could really say to Beau, Lejend, and Ethylon.

"What are we gonna do?" Ethylon said. "We can't just take him like this."

Lost within his own thoughts of losing Joshua, Beau simply sat upon the ground. What could he do? Beau knew a lot about bots, but not about bots like Joshua.... Actually, Beau thought, he wouldn't know what to do if any of his bots were shot. Then the thought of his others bots came back to mind as well. He doubted any of them survived.

Beau sighed heavily, grabbing Joshua off of the ground. He took Joshua, and placed him against his back like a piggy-back ride. Ethylon watched in confusion as Beau took a few wobbly steps with his crippled leg. It would take him a while, but he could walk on his leg, and that was all that mattered.

"Hold onto my neck." Beau mumbled. Joshua nodded weakly, wrapping his arms around Beau's neck and tightening his grip. He couldn't seem to control his arms, or how tight he wanted to hold onto Beau. Joshua was losing whatever control he had of his body, slowly but surely.

"What are you doing, Beau?" Ethylon asked.

"Ethylon," Beau said quietly, "we're going to see your brother."

"You're not—"

"I am, and you can't do anything to stop me." Beau replied with venomous haste, limping his way back to where the elevators awaited them. Joshua's breaths were becoming noticeably heavier, and the hold on Beau's neck was loosening with every second that passed.

"Joshua, stay awake." Beau said, almost pleading for his bot's safety. "Please."

"I'm trying, master." Joshua whispered back. Beau's heart nearly fell to the ground as he found out that Joshua was becoming weaker. Something within his precious bot had broken, and now, he was becoming lost.

And Beau, at a loss for what he could do, hopped into the elevator with Joshua on his back and pushed the button to the first floor, where he could begin to walk back to Rowan's lab. The least he could do know was get there. And he honestly didn't care if the officers threatened him in any way, shape or form. He just wanted to make it back to Rowan's lab before it was too late. Time, for once, was of the essence, and Beau needed more of it.

Beau couldn't help but think that everything that happened so far was all his fault. If Beau had never told Mr. Rager to shoot him in the first place; if he hadn't tried to escape; if Beau had just stayed away from Ethylon in the first place, none of this would be going on. Joshua would be safe, and Beau would be with him. Guilt rushed through Beau's body, keeping him from doing much to help his bot anymore than rubbing the back of his leg and giving him a few reassuring whispers, though Beau didn't believe them much himself.

***

When the door opened at the first level, empyreals awaited them. Beau held a weak Joshua on his back, walking off the elevator with a look of anger upon his face. The officer that were attempting to grab him stopped. After a few seconds of hushed whispers, they stepped away and fell upon one knee. Beau furrowed his brows, but didn't say anything else as the chant began.

They all murmured, repeating some unintelligible sentence over and over until it was all Beau could think about. Ethylon stopped as Lejend fell upon one knee, tears free falling on her face. Ethylon fell next to her on one knee, dropping his gaze to the ground while Beau carried Joshua on his back.

"Master?" Joshua asked quietly, his eyes glossed over with a grayish color.

"Hm?" Beau said.

"Where are we?" His voice was soft, like silk, yet seemed weaker than before. He was trying to catch his breaths, but they escaped him every time he moved his chest. "I can't see, master." Joshua spoke in nothing more than a whisper.

Beau's heart broke at the sound of his bot losing whatever function he had left. A tiny bullet had broken something so big, and for what? Beau had 'if only' questions running through his mind the entire time they walked. He seemed numb to everything around him. The chanting didn't matter, Ethylon didn't matter, nobody mattered. It was only Joshua. His own survival meant nothing. It was just Joshua.

Then, as Beau turned the last corner, around to Rowan's lab where the door hung wide open, the chanting subsided into small sobs. He couldn't explain why they were all crying. After all, weren't they running after Joshua to capture him? What changed?

Joshua yawned quietly, pressing his cheek against Beau's back while he took the last few steps into Rowan's lab. Rowan was waiting by his desk, staring sadly at Joshua.

"You almost made it." Rowan said. "You were right there."

"I—" Beau's voice cracked at the single syllable, and he took Joshua, laid him down on a table, and held his bot's hand in his own. "It's all my fault."

"Don't say that." Rowan said, placing his hand upon Beau's shoulder. "You didn't know."

"Can you save him?" Beau asked impatiently. "Please tell me you can help him."

Rowan pushed Joshua's shirt away from his chest, staring at the wound that bore into Joshua's chest. Joshua sighed softly, his chest barely rising and falling in a steady movement. Beau teared up at the sight of his bot, who looked as though he were falling into a deep sleep. Oh, how he wished Joshua was only sleeping.

"I can try and transfer him. But Beau...." Rowan said quietly. "It scuffed his memory core a bit. I can tell just by looking at where the bullet went in."

Beau furrowed his brows together, working his fingers against Joshua's to keep them warm. For the first time ever, Joshua actually seemed cold, and it was strange. He was usually so warm, so loving, so... glowing.

"I still want you to transfer him."

"I can't guarantee...." Rowan sighed heavily. "Beau, I can't guarantee he'll even remember your name."

Beau shook his head quickly, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. It stung a bit since dirt pooled in the corner of his eyes and sunk into the tender tissue of his eyes. More tears formed, only allowing more dirt to sting his gentle eyes.

"I don't care, Rowan." Beau said. "He doesn't deserve this. Transfer him."

Rowan tried to push him out of the room, but Beau held onto Joshua's hand, pressing a soft kiss to his bot's cheek.

"I'll be right there." Beau traced his finger over Joshua's chest to create a single heart before Rowan shooed him out again, murmuring things to himself that were completely strange for Beau to listen to.

Beau trudged down the hall, that seemed to be never ending. Every step was a mile within itself, another mile away from Joshua, another step further from his mate.

As Beau turned the corner to the lobby where the empyreals awaited him, they all sat upon their knees. Ethylon was the only one standing, and he spoke softly to an older woman in a skirt and white shirt. She made a few gestures with her hands before Ethylon cleared his throat and looked past the woman to Beau. Beau shut his eyes, allowing the darkness to take over his mind and soul. Instead of opening his eyes when the empyreals murmured his name, Beau nearly fell to his knees. He didn't have the strength and the courage to hope Joshua was okay. Joshua was Beau's anchor. Joshua kept him sane through everything.

"Beau." The woman said, touching his shoulder with one hand.

When Beau opened his eyes, he found the face he had only seen in the papers before in front of him. She smiled gently, like a mother looking upon her child. Her grayish-blonde strands of hair fell across her aged face.

"We need to talk." She said. Beau swallowed hard, nodding once.

"Okay, President Gile."

***

“How can you not know about something that was going on right under your nose?” Beau yelled at the woman in front of him. President Gile hushed him, almost losing her temper when she told him to sit down, and shut up. “People died because they were tortured in this building, and you didn't know about it. That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.”

Ethylon tapped his foot against the floor, trying hard not to snap at President Gile either. She claimed she had no knowledge of the destruction of Squadron ST being falsified, or the fact that many others like Beau and Ethylon were being tortured in the Main building. She ruled the towns, and this building, yet she was oblivious to the cruel acts all around her?

“I don't make these choices.” President Gile said calmly. “Contrary to popular belief, I do have many other things to do outside of the Main. The towns were in danger of losing their fuel rations. I could hardly supply one of the towns with water. I left my responsibilities in the hands of people I thought I could trust here.”

“My love was shot because of your ignorance.” Beau snarled.

“My brother lived in fear of being executed.” Ethylon added on. “Nobody should ever feel that way.”

“Had he ever called me, I would have—“

“You would have, what? You know what you would've done? You would come in here, make sure everything seems okay, and then go back to whatever you were treating yourself to.” Beau said.

“Treating myself to? Do you think I went to the spa instead of working?”

“I'm saying you took the money we pay the government and threw a fucking party, miss President. I think you don't care about us. I think you knew about everything that happened here. Bullshit that you didn't!”

President Gile threw down some papers in her hand, stomping her foot as she stood up.

“I will stand for your bullying, but foul language I will not!” She said in a shrill voice.

Ethylon glanced at the papers on the table, his eyes widening at the text.

“You're arresting us?” Ethylon said. He picked up the papers faster than Gile could react, holding them up to his face. “After what happened, you're going to arrest us?!”

Ethylon looked read the paragraphs quickly, more disgusted at every sentence he read.

“Boys, please.” She snatched the papers away from Ethylon. “That is precisely what I'm here to talk to you about.” She paused. “This paper was sent to me by a fellow who worked here. He said that I should have you executed.”

“Are you—“

“Don't yell again, because I'll lose my train of thought.” Gile said quickly. “Now, I can see why. I see that you two hacked into the Main system, and you sneaked in to steal a bot. You also deactivated an empyreal, and Beau, you hid knowledge of Ethylon's whereabouts from the authorities.” She paused and looked at the papers carefully. “However, I don't believe in execution, and since finding out about the secrets in this building, I'd be willing to shorten your sentences.”

“We don't need your mercy.” Ethylon spat. Beau shushed him. Although he was angry, and full of venom, he couldn't tempt Gile more than they already had. She could have them killed with the flick of her wrist. But there was a part of Beau that didn't care either.

“How much would you shorten them by?” Beau said curiously.

“I could give you imprisonment for... one year.”

“A year of bion!?” Ethylon shouted. “I spent years in there, and you're gonna make me go back?”

“If I let you two off with a lighter sentence, the public will be furious!”

Beau cocked his head. “Does the public know about what goes on behind these walls, Gile? Do they? I'm sure if they knew, they'd be more outraged at our corrupt government more than us.”

“Beau... We're not sure how they would react if we told them about what happened here.”

The room went silent as Beau and Ethylon silently spoke through nods and shakes of the head. How simple the language could be.

“We want eight months.” Ethylon said. “Four months imprisonment, four months house arrest.”

“That's almost half of what I originally said!”

“And a fine. Name your price. But we want all the bots modeled from Squadron ST to be returned to their human bodies.” Beau retorted. Gile sat in thought, biting her fingernails ridiculously low. “I'll pay my fine, and half of Ethylon's. And during the house arrest, Ethylon can stay with me, at my house.”

“Hey bud, I don't need your generosity.” Ethylon turned to Beau. Beau shook his head.

“Can't you accept somebody's nice deed?”

“I don't think kind deeds is what we're looking for!”

The door to the room creaked open as a slim figure appeared from behind it. Ethylon quieted down, and Gile stood up in honor as Rowan entered the room. Beau, however, walked to Rowan, eyes already full of pain and fear.

“Sorry to interrupt,” Rowan said, “but I have some information about Joshua.”

“What is it?” Beau said eagerly. “Is he okay? Is he—“

"Beau, don't smother me, I have it all planned out in my mind." Rowan brought a hand up to shush him. "I understand you're excited, but you need to calm down."

"Okay." Beau immediately sat down on a chair, looking at Rowan as though he were a God-like figure. "Now tell me."

"I managed to save Joshua's memory core. Now, I started transferring everything. He seems to be okay, but I want to be really careful right now. The memory core was almost broken in half when I got it out."

"But is he gonna be okay?" Beau said quickly.

"I don't know. That's the thing, Beau. Even though I recovered his core, I've never worked with a damaged one," Rowan said. "It may take a few months for everything to transfer correctly. And even then, it may take a while for all of the memories to be restored."

"How long?" Beau stood up. "I don't care how long, I just need to know."

"About... five months.”

“Rowan.” President Gile said. “The boys here want you to transfer every bot's memory back to their human bodies. Can you do that?”

“Well, I mean, of course.” Rowan stammered. He looked at Ethylon, then to Beau as though a thought hit him. “But that means it'll take longer to fix Joshua, because I'll be so busy. Almost seven months.”

“That's fine.” Beau said. “Anything for his safety.”

In the back of Beau's mind, he imagined every long month without Joshua. What would he do while he was on house arrest? He couldn't imagine what he would do without Joshua by his side. Perhaps he would go back to school, and move into a bigger house. He could get a job. Beau would do anything to keep himself from losing his sanity without Joshua. Imprisonment would be a breeze for him and Ethylon, yet the house arrest would be the most torturous. He would have to sit at home every day, and listen to an absolutely empty house. But he would manage if it meant getting Joshua back in the end.