Sequel: Flare
Status: Edited version of Human After All for NaNoWriMo.

Human After All (II)

VII

Joshua blinked, tilting his head to the right in confusion. “Music?”

Beau smiled triumphantly. He figured Joshua never knew what music was. He had not been programmed that way. Joshua was still confused, his eyes full of desperation. It was troublesome when Beau told Joshua something new, and then he didn't bother to explain it.

“Would you like to listen to music?” Beau leaned back, pulling himself away from his bot. Joshua nodded quickly, and as strange as it seemed, he only then realized how tall his master really was. Joshua was short compared to him, very short. Beau must have been intimidating to many because of his height.

“Yes!” Joshua jumped up eagerly, nearly headbutting Beau. “Oh, please!”

“Calm down.” Beau laughed, then led Joshua into his room, sitting him down on the bed while he turned to his personal music player. Robots doubled as a music player as well, but Beau never enjoyed it as much, and he was sure Joshua wouldn't enjoy it. He wouldn't experience the music as Beau would, but as a duty he must fulfill.

Beau had stacks of old compact discs that held lists of music he learned of as a child. Many people hated it now, since only bubblegum pop played on the airwaves. His music was from the 2000 through 2020 era, and even though it was old, his music had more meaning in one note than any of the new music had.

Beau slipped the first album into the stereo. There came the faintest sound of an acoustic guitar, and Beau turned the music up rather hastily. While Harmony wasn't his favorite album from the group he chose, he didn't have the resources the buy the older extended plays, and nobody had any torrents regarding them. He skipped the first six songs, landing on the seventh track titled, “First Dance.” Not the best song, he thought, but it was a start.

Joshua marveled at the sound of the beat bouncing around his head. The drum was light, and the strumming of a small guitar filled his ears. The harmonizing was enchanting. Joshua felt the sudden need to move his hands, so he tapped them against his knees. Beau smiled, and pulled Joshua off of the bed, intertwining their fingers.

“You can dance to music you're listening to.” Beau said, but that didn't help as Joshua looked completely lost after that statement. “Dancing is like... moving your body to the beat. You just move to the music, like this.” Beau spun Joshua in his arms, holding him to make sure he didn't fall. Joshua squeaked when Beau stopped him from spinning. He noted what Beau was doing with his feet, and he tried his best to mimic Beau. His master laughed easily.

“Now you got it!” Beau said. A rush of happiness shot through Joshua as he received approval from Beau. “Don't look at your feet. Your partner wants to see your eyes when you're together.”

“You're my partner, right?” Joshua said. Beau nodded quickly, then Joshua giggled while Beau spun him in his arms again. Joshua felt light as air, barely on the floor, but always in Beau's arms. When his master stopped him from nearly falling on his back, Beau was panting, searching for a bit of breath.

“I haven't danced in such a long time.” Beau chuckled weakly, his voice becoming louder through wheezes of breath.

“Are you tired, master? Do you want to stop?” Joshua's voice was delicate. He loved dancing, but he wouldn't see his master exhausted if it was hurting him. Dancing could wait.

“No, it's all right.” Beau said. “I can't get better if I don't try, right? Here, we'll switch to a slower song.” He reached to the stereo, skipping the song to a song that definitely had a different feel to it. Beau caught his breath, and then held Joshua in his arms. “Ready?”

“I think I like music, master.” said Joshua. Beau leaned forward, and laced his fingers with Joshua's again. “Is all music like this?”

“No.” Beau answered sullenly. To be reminded of the fact that most music wasn't like this almost put him in a bad mood. This music was great, why shouldn't they make more like that? Beau guessed that even the most treasured things were brushed off as nothing at the sight of something, “better.” “This is old music. Almost as old as my parents.” Beau said. Joshua thought for a minute. He had only met Beau's mother for a few minutes in the shop when they were testing out his feature and such. Beau's father was not in sight.

Then Joshua pondered. He didn't have parents. He had a creator, and a master, but parents were different than both of those. A parent loved their child, just as Beau's parents did. Joshua's creator was not the same. But Beau.... Did Beau love him?

“Ready?” Beau asked. Joshua hadn't realized that Beau paused the music, because Joshua was too enveloped in thought to even move. Joshua nodded, and Beau pressed the play button as the heavenly music filled the air again. Beau's footwork changed from the last song, only taking small steps together. Beau placed Joshua's hands on his shoulders, and Joshua practically had to stand on the tips of his toes to reach. Beau then trailed his hands down Joshua's sides of his stomach.

“I'll only leave my hands on your sides, okay? I don't know how you feel about my hands on your hips and all.” Beau said, nervously licking his bottom lip.

“My hips?”

Beau tapped his fingers against Joshua's hips.

“Why not?” Joshua looked at Beau, furrowing his brows together. “Unless you're uncomfortable....”

“You don't mind then?” Beau said. Joshua shook his head quickly. Beau leaned back and restarted the song. They spent such a long time talking without actually dancing to the beat. The song started again, and Beau gingerly placed his hands on Joshua's hips. His bot didn't look fazed at all. Beau remembered that Joshua didn't understand the concept of personal spots. He didn't react the same way a human would if hands were placed on the hips.

Beau sighed gently while they started to dance again. He had to admit that it was much more comfortable to place his hands on Joshua's hips instead of his side. Without the intention of doing so, they moved closer little by little until they were only a few inches away. Joshua stared at his master, their eyes locked together. Beau couldn't even blink, it seemed.

Then Beau pulled Joshua into a hug. Joshua squeaked while his ear was pressed to Beau's chest. He listened carefully, and through Beau's quiet breaths, he could hear a faint thumb coming from his chest.

“Master.” Joshua whispered, as though he would scare off the sound with his voice, but it still beat steadily like a drum. “What is that sound?”

“What sound?” Beau said. Joshua softly poked Beau's chest to where he thought the sound was coming from. When his finger grazed Beau's chest, the beat skipped. Joshua gasped, pulling his finger away. The beat sped up, but not much faster than it had been before. “That's my heartbeat, Joshua.”

Joshua traced his fingers along Beau's chest. “What's a heartbeat?”

“It's the sound your heart makes when it's pumping blood.” Beau said. “When people are nervous, their heartbeat speeds up. When they're calm, it's slow.”

“So you are nervous.” Beau looked at Joshua and nodded. “Why are you nervous?”

Beau shrugged. “I don't know. Does my heartbeat scare you?”

“No, it's just that....” Joshua said, then sighed. “I do not have a heart.” He mumbled. Beau pulled him away, a look of shock on his face. Joshua didn't understand why he looked surprised. It was true. He didn't have a heart. Robots didn't have a heart.

“Yes, you do.” Beau said stubbornly. Joshua shook his head. “Yes, you do. It's right,” Beau placed his finger on Joshua's chest. He outlined the shape of a heart, creating small creases in Joshua's soft clothes. Joshua felt a slight warmth linger even after. Beau pulled away, “there.” Joshua swallowed quietly as Beau pulled him into the embrace again. They both couldn't comprehend what they were doing. This was supposed to be nothing more than a dance, but it progressed into something more, something far more.

Joshua began to trace the shape he had seen his master do on Beau's chest. Joshua listened carefully to the heartbeat. It was a source of life, a source of love. The only sound in the room was their steady breathing until there came a slight opening at the bedroom door.

“Er, Beau?” Drew's voice broke through the silence. Joshua pulled himself off of his master. Even Joshua was shocked at how long their embrace was, and easily straightened his clothes out before grinning at Drew.

“Drew.” Beau said. “What are you doing here?”

“Sorry to... interrupt.” Drew eyed them suspiciously. “I just got your email.”

“Joshua, can you stay in your room for a while?” Beau asked. Joshua nodded.

“Yes, master.” Then he scampered off in the direction of his bedroom. He made sure to be quiet as Dahlia, Leslie, and Kiyah were already sleeping in the windowsill.

Drew grabbed the bedroom door and slammed it harshly. “Did I just see what I think I saw?” He raised an eyebrow, trying to keep his stance, even though he was ridiculously short. Beau rolled his eyes.

“No, you didn't.”

“What was that, then?” Drew replied. His voice lowered. “You were hugging him.”

Beau huffed. “What if it was just a hug between friends?”

Drew laughed, almost in Beau's face. “Between friends? Your hands were on his hips, and his were on your chest! I've never hugged a friend like that before!”

“Yet we do so much more than hug, but we still only consider each other friends.” Beau spat. Drew stuttered, fumbling with his words until he gave up. Instead, he pointed an accusing finger at Beau.

“It's not the same.”

“Why? Because he's a bot?” Beau snapped.

“Yes, that's exactly why. He's not real, Beau.”

“Yes, he is!” Beau was fuming. As much as Beau tried to respect Drew's opinion, it was difficult at times. They were both very opinionated when it came to issues such as this, and Beau usually let Drew win, but not this time. “Who are you to say he can't feel anything? Who are you to say there's no real love?” Beau shivered. He never used the world love. Maybe he said it to his parents, or the occasional love to his bots, but other than that, love was not used much. “Have you ever really loved somebody?”

“He isn't a somebody!” Drew said. “There's just too many difference between a bot and a human. Too many to describe. You will never feel love with a robot.” Drew paused, taking a long breath. “Love is when you meet somebody who loves your flaws just as much as you love their, and you try to change to meet each others needs, and you constantly feel like you're on cloud nine.”

Beau rolled his eyes. “I'm changing, Drew.” Drew looked shocked. “What if Joshua is changing me, making me a better person?”

“That's ridiculous, and you know it. Superficial.”

“What we have is superficial!” Beau pointed at himself and Drew. “We fuck, we run. That's all we're doing. There's nothing else there. I mean, at least with Joshua I can look in his eyes and think he's beautiful. I can't even look at you without—“

“Oh, shove it.” Drew threw his hands down to his sides. “Fine, you go ahead with your little fantasy love with Joshua. You can go ahead, love him, whatever.” Drew turned his back on Beau, opening the bedroom door, and starting towards the front door. Drew was so angry, he had forgotten what he came over for in the first place. “You're so stupid for thinking you could ever love a thing like that.”

“His name is Joshua.” Beau grabbed Drew's arm, pulling him back into the argument. “And I swear, if you call him a thing again, I'll—“

“You'll what?” Drew challenged him. “You're gonna sic your robots on me?”

The door creaked quietly, and Beau looked behind himself to see Joshua barely peeking past the door. His eyes were full of hurt, probably from the fight Beau was in. And Beau couldn't stand to see Joshua like that. Beau opened the front door.

“Get out, Drew. Just go.” He was trying his hardest not to cuss in front of Joshua.

“But, I'm not done.”

“Go!” Beau shoved Drew out, slamming the door. He bolted it shut behind him. “Why did I ever give him that spare key?” He thought out loud. He could hear the faint speaking of his small bots, mostly Dahlia, from behind Joshua's door. But Beau didn't move to them first. Instead, he gathered his own thoughts and rested his head against the door. How could Drew be so insensitive? He was always rude.

Beau pushed himself up, and walked to Joshua's door, gingerly knocking on it.

“Go away! No masters allowed!” Dahlia giggled.

“Come in.” Joshua called after Dahlia was finished. Beau opened the door, just barely peeking his head in. Joshua was working at something on the bed, but Beau couldn't tell what it was. Only when he opened the door did he see that Joshua was working on Leslie's CPU.

“What are you doing?”

Joshua glanced at Beau. “Fixing Leslie.”

“How? We have doctors come over, and they can't even fix her.” Beau said curiously.

“But this is a very simple fix.” Joshua replied. “I'm almost done, unless you forbid this. I will stop if you—“

“No.” Beau said quickly. “Keep... Keep going.”

Leslie sat on the bed, holding her dress to her chest while Joshua worked diligently. Beau smiled at her, holding her small hand, to which she replied with a small blush. Beau wondered if Joshua could blush. If he could, he hadn't seen it yet.

“You're going to feel a little spark, okay?” Joshua said to Leslie. She nodded. Beau watched while Joshua connected two different colored wires. There was a tiny flash of light. Leslie squeaked while Joshua tied two wires together, and pushed her CPU back into her small body. She gasped quietly, waving her hands in front of her eyes.

“Master!” She shouted. “I can see again! Wow, you're older, master.” Leslie leaned forward, studying Beau's face. “Very handsome.” Beau kissed the top of her head.

“I could fix Kiyah tomorrow, if you wish. I'm sure there's but a small malfunction. She could be speaking in less than a day.”

Beau held Kiyah and Dahlia in his hands. He kissed both of their heads. Then Joshua stood up, although he wasn't looking for anything from his master. He gave Beau a meek laugh, but Beau reached for Joshua’s hand, their fingers lacing together. He planted a soft kiss on Joshua's cheek, while his small bots cooed in the background.

“Thank you.”

“It's nothing, master. I serve you.”

“No.” Beau said. You're not just here to serve me.” Beau noticed his fingers were still laced together with Joshua's. “You're much more than just a bot. You're a friend, Joshua. A great one.”

“And you are mine.” Joshua said. Then, as Beau pulled and walked away, Joshua brushed his fingertips against the supple skin Beau had ever-so-tenderly kissed. And for a split second, Joshua thought he felt a speedy heartbeat.

***

Joshua stared at Troia's fingernails. They were chipped, almost like she was biting them. Troia tapped her free hand against the table. Joshua had asked Beau if they could visit her when they had free time. Beau was never one to deny Joshua of much, so he easily said yes, as long as he could accompany him.

“Your master is very kind, Joshua.” Troia said. “Very loving.”

“Yes...” Joshua thought back to only a few nights ago where he had been dancing with Beau. They shared something. They shared a heart. “He is very kind, Troia. But you....”

“You mustn’t worry about my well-being anymore.” Troia took his hands in her own. “I'm a strong bot. It will be years before he ever breaks me down.”

“But, you should not break at all. Masters are not supposed to treat us so terribly!” Joshua tried breaking through her stubborn wall, but it never worked. She was headstrong. She knew what she had to do.

“So how are we supposed to be treated?” Troia said.

“They are to love us. Perhaps not romantic love, but love, as family.” Troia brushed her blonde hair away from her flawless face. Her skin was like porcelain. “As friends, as well. As I feel for you.”

“And your master, Beau.” She addressed him quietly, as she didn't want him to know they were speaking of him. He spoke quietly to the teen behind the counter again. “He loves you?” Joshua peeked at him, looking away when Beau caught him staring. Troia envied him, and how comfortable he was with his master. She longed to feel comfortable.

“I don't know what love is.” Joshua said. “But I do know that my master treats me as an equal, not a slave.” Joshua's cheek tingled at the thought of Beau's tender lips.

“I must be going, Joshua. Until next week, yes?” Troia gave an unconvincing smile.

“Yes, of cour—“

Beau started for Joshua's side, and jerked him out of his seat. Troia gasped audibly, covering her mouth as he did so. Beau, however, held Joshua against the stone wall behind them. The look on his face was serious. Beau faced Joshua, placing one of his hands on the wall beside their bodies. His fingers intertwined with Joshua's.

“Empyreals.” Beau whispered, placing his lips just beside Joshua's ear. He left them their, his warm breaths ticking at Joshua's feathery hair. Many of the other robots were frozen as the officers walked into the shop. Troia sat alone at the table, staring innocently at her chipped nails. She was not a criminal. What should she be afraid of?

An empyreal stood at the door with his arms crossed over his chest. Intimidating, yes, but what was he doing? The silence around them would allow them to hear a pin dropping down the street. It was uncomfortably silent.

“Put your hand on my neck.” Beau mumbled. Joshua didn't ask any question, slowly reaching for his master's neck. A tingle ran through his hands, warmth spread through his slender fingertips. “Don't do anything.”

The tallest officer walked into the coffee shop, carrying a club of sorts at his side. It seemed to to be the longest minutes of his own life, Beau thought, as the officers walked around, murmuring things to each other before one single officer took a long look at Joshua, and then ordered the rest out. He followed soon after. Beau heaved a deep sigh of relief once they were out of the door. Joshua's hand slid off of Beau's neck.

“Are you okay?” Joshua said worriedly. “The officers, they are bothering you, are they not?”

“Just a little.” Beau nodded. “They're not leaving. The rogues are somewhere in town. They're not going to another town until they're absolutely sure that the criminals aren't here.”

“Master?” Joshua squeaked. “What do they do to the criminals?”

Beau shuddered at the thought. He had heard tales of criminals who were force fed their own organs, or had their tongues hacked off for speaking against the government. He even heard one wives tale that claimed each prisoner was to decide who died first, and who died last. Whoever died last received the worst of the treatment. In the process of picking the order to die, they killed each other instead. Insane, Beau thought, but not unlikely. The government was cruel and unusual when it came to discipline. Things were not to be taken lightly.

“Let's not talk about it.” Beau pushed the thoughts away. “C'mon.” He turned to Troia once to say thank you, before he and Joshua set off for home. Joshua thought there there wouldn't be another nice day until the empyreals were out of town, and Beau was happy again.