Promise Me You'll Return

Chapter 1: Alec's Point of VIew

I curl up on a bear skin rug in front of the fire place. Right as I start to fall asleep, I hear a deep mournful howl. The sadness in the howl makes me start to whine. What ever has happened must be causing this wolf great unbearable pain.

I am still just a pup, but I understand the feelings in a howl. Ever since the Great Fangs dug away my homeland, we've had to adapt to the ways of the humans. Wolves began to move to cities, and change their appearance to blend in with humans. Along with that came human years, so instead of aging as wolves, we took to living for many more years. The oldest wolf I've heard of lived to be 108 years old.

In the 15 years I've lived, I've had to watch many wolves die, or not be able to regain life as a wolf. If you live as a human for too long, you forget your pride, and once you lose it you can never get it back. Thats what happened to the lady next door, and none of the humans know. I have learned many great things from the humans though, and all of them have been useful when figuring out why they do what they do. One of the many things is never regret what you do. I sometimes wonder if the humans ever regret their wrong doings?

The howl continues and sends a shiver up my spine, so I sit upright and stare out the window. My master walks into the room and looks down at me with a sorrowful look on his face. "Alec, it's always a sad thing to hear the mournful cries of a wolf. They are a humans ancestor, and we take that for granted everyday. We take what we want, and destroy what we want, without considering how it affects others. I may be a hunter, but never would I dare kill a wolf." My master believes wolves to be the beginning and end of man kind.

Who is to say any of the myths are true or false. A wolf may very well be the beginning of all life on the earth, and a single wolf may be the end to all life. No one can say for sure though. I have played stupid all my life, acting like a simple house dog. I have hunted for human kind and watched the hunting decrease. The world is dying there is no doubt about that, but who's to tell man kind when to stop killing it. In a way human kind is simply doing as wolves do...They are surviving.

The wolf quits howling, and all I can think about is the night I lost my pack. All of them were slaughtered in a night of darkness and confusion. The only source of light to be seen that night was the shallow gloom of the blood moon. Only sounds to be heard that night were the deep mournful howls of wolves in pain. The cries of a wolf who has lost a dear one, is something never to be forgotten. I know that howl better than I'd like too...the howl of a wolf who has nothing left but an empty life, and pain. Endless pain.
♠ ♠ ♠
My first attempt at this kinda fictional story. Enjoy and tell me what you think ^_^