Promise Me You'll Return

Chapter 2: Mya's Point of View-The Truth Is A Lie

I sat up and hit my alarm so it would shut off. I didn't get much sleep last night, all that howling kept me from getting peace and quiet. I couldn't help but wanna go out and find the wolf though. Something deep inside me has always had a fascination with wolves, they are so interesting. I've spent my whole life studying the way they came to be, the way they were, and the way they are. Wolves are everywhere in history, but it really surprises me how people make such far-fetched tales about them. They're quite interesting to read in my spare time.

I step out of the shower and grab my towel, I start drying my hair and think about what homework I have to today. I have my personal interest essay due tomorrow, and I only have part of it written. Damn, I need to get my head in the game this year I've been slacking off and that needs changed. I mean my essay topic is on my families history and exactly how I came to live in this small town. I have plenty to talk about, just not enough drive to write it.

"Hey Mya, ready for school already?" My sister Aliya says to me.

I can't help but yawn before answering. "Yeah, I am gonna go stand at the bus stop and wait. I have nothing better to do this morning."

Aliya gives me a strange look, "Unable to sleep again?" She pauses and smiles, "You know the ground is covered in snow, why would you wanna go stand in that icky stuff?"

I shrug and walk to the living room and grab my bag. Truth is I never know how to answer her questions. I've always liked the snow, I never get cold, it never phases me. The doctors said its some strange genetic thing, but my body temperature is high. I put on a light hoodie and step outside, and I glance around and notice the elderly man from up the street is walking his dog. "Hey, good morning Mr. Anderson!"

He looks at me and smiles, "Good morning Mya. How'd ya sleep last night?"

I giggle, "Same as I usually do. I could hardly sleep because of all the howling though." I knew that Mr. Anderson would have something to say about the howling. He is another one like me, he has this strange love for wolves.

"I know. It was such a mournful howl it even had Alec, my pup, here whimpering. That wolf sounded really close too, and the saddest part is I figure it was caused by The Society." He looks down at the ground thoughtfully.

I feel something inside me heat up, and I can't help but clench my fist. The Society is a select group of people, more like an appointed club, but they get together and kill wolves that they find. They're on the superstitious side, in some myths it claims wolves as our creators and our killers, The Society thinks they can stop this from happening.

"Well, I better get going young miss. I have to finish walking Alec, but could you possibly come help shovel my driveway and sidewalk later. I'll pay you what I can."

I smile and feel wanted, "Sure! I will see you then." I look down at Alec and smile. I've always been fond of dogs, and memorized the breeds. He claims Alec to be a brown husky, but almost everyone knows it's a cover up. There is no doubt in my mind that dog has some wolf in him.

As they walk away I begin to walk down the road a little towards my bus stop, and that's when I look over and in a large field I see two wolves. One is a misty gray colour, and the other a deep black. They stop and stare at me, and something in me drives me to run towards them, but I refuse to move. The black wolf stands out like a sore thumb against the snow, but then again he is the most gorgeous wolf I've ever seen.

The wolf starts walking towards me, I should probably run away being as wolves are described as very dangerous, but I can't move. The gray wolf hangs back and doesn't move, it just stares. I close my eyes and count to ten hoping that will help my anxiety. When I open my eyes and look down I am staring down at the face of the black wolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this on the spot so sorry for any errors.