A Champagne Supernova in the Sky

001.

"Excited for classes to start yet?"

Alice glared at Harry as he sat at the counter of her family's diner, taking apart sugar packets and making piles in the form of a smiley face across the counter top. "Yeah, except I'm not gonna make it that far if I have to keep cleaning up after your messes!"

"Then quit trying to ruin my masterpiece while I'm trying to create it!" He protested, pushing away her hands as she tried to clean up the mess he was making. "Don't you have customers to tend to?"

"I'm going to stab you in the eye with a fork, curly." She narrowed her eyes at him but moved on to the older couple in the corner, re-filling their cups of coffee.

"Thank you, dear. The man gave her a kind smile, which she easily returned.

"Can I get you anything else?"

"Oh, no thank you, were quite alright. It's very sweet that that boy waits for you every afternoon, you know." The woman answered, looking back at Harry.

Alice tried to restrain herself from laughing. "He's pretty wonderful." She agreed, giving the couple another smile before heading back to the counter.

"You guys still have peppermint tea, right?" Harry asked as Alice came back around the counter.

"Only for you, babe." She teased, setting a cup down to start making his tea. "Two sugars?"

"You're the greatest." Pulling some coins out of his pocket, he let them clatter onto the counter. "Couple in the corner thinks we're together, don't they?"

"As always." While his tea was steeping, she scooped up the coins and put them in the register, then set the cup before him. "I don't get it. You're a dumb, curly-headed fuck, why would I date you?" She joked, sticking her tongue out at him.

"Right, because you could be dating some dumb, rich blonde instead." He retorted, knowing it was something she hated to have brought up. Sure enough, her eyes narrowed as she leaned against the counter.

"You're a despicable human being. I'm not interested and you know that!"

"Tell him that, then." Harry gave her a cheeky smile, knowing he had her. "I'm sure he'll be here at any moment, anyway."

"Please don't say that." She begged, even though she knew he was right. The blonde boy with the adorable smile came by just about every day she worked to flirt with her and occasionally give her gifts far more expensive than she desired to accept. She enjoyed his company and he was a nice person, but she just wasn't interested in him in that way and had no idea how to say it. It was clear he was from the north side, where everyone was rich and life was easy, and Harry made sure to tease her about it constantly.

"Just tell him you're not interested! Use your big girl words, you moron."

"He's just so nice!" Alice groaned, putting her face in her hands. "It's so hard, he always looks genuinely happy to see me! I can't just, I don't know."

Harry stared at her in disbelief. "You are such a girl."

She turned back to him, eyes narrowed and about to reply something mean back when the bell rang above the door. Glancing over, they saw the boy in question strolling over, slacks neat and shirt sleeves rolled up. Alice ignored Harry's laughter and offered the boy a smile. "Hello, Niall."

"Hiya, Alice!" He greeted, eyes bright and grin wide. He took a seat at the counter beside Harry, nodding at him. "Harry."

"Niall." Harry nodded back. Despite how much he joked about the boy, he generally refused to speak to him much. "Good day?"

"Better now." Niall turned back to Alice, giving her a wink. "Looking absolutely beautiful today, love."

"Oh, stop that." She answered, shaking her head and trying to hold back the smile threatening to hurt her cheeks. Even though she wasn't romantically interested, it was hard for a girl to not enjoy kind praise. It was clear she wasn't hiding it well when she glanced at Harry, who had taken to continuing his sugar smiley face. Shaking her head, she turned back to Niall. "Your normal tea?"

"No, I'm actually very busy this afternoon. Wanted to be sure to see your lovely face, though. You ready for the start of sixth form?"

"Most assuredly. I've been ready forever, what about yourself?"

"Maybe. It could be fun." He glanced down at his watch, then sighed. "I unfortunately have to get going. Hopefully I'll see your gorgeous face tomorrow." He gave her another wink before taking off, the bell going off once again as he left the shop. Her hands found their way to her cheeks, her skin feeling hot due to the sheer amount of compliments given to her in such a small amount of time, and she almost forgot Harry was there until he coughed and gave her a pointed look.

"There are hearts in your eyes." He pointed out, picking up a pinch of sugar and flicking it at her. She glared and threw her tea towel at him, ignoring his peals of laughter.

~~~~

"Turn to the right just a bit, good!" Medli turned her body a bit, then tipped her chin up as she stared down the camera. The photographer was beside himself with how brilliant her attitude was, but in reality, the attitude was real. She was bored of everything the world had to offer, and each job she took changed nothing in the dreary monotony of her life.

"Alright, perfect!" The photographer exclaimed suddenly, making her jump. "Just slip into that last dress over there and let us get one last round, then you're done!" Medli nodded and walked off the set, slipping out of her heels and carrying them over to the cart with all the dresses. Picking up the purple one on the end, she took the silver shoes pressed into her arms and made her way into the small tent-like structure they'd set up for her to change in. She'd just managed to tug the dress up and was reaching back to zip it when a pair of hands clutched onto her hips, making her jump.

"My, doesn't someone look beautiful?" A soft voice whispered into the curve of her neck.

"Jesus, Lou." Medli groaned, leaning back into his chest. "You scared me. Do me up?"

"I'll do you any day." He teased. She rolled her eyes but stayed quiet as he tugged up the zipper for her. "Almost done here? The Paynes are throwing a party and I'd like to head over soon."

"Another party? Can't we have a quiet night in instead?" She put a slight whine into her voice as she turned around and clutched the lapels of his jacket. "We haven't had a good moment to ourselves in a while." Twisting the fingers of her right hand into his jacket, she let her left hand curve over the back of his neck and tug his down, sealing her mouth over his in a hard kiss. He let her go on for a moment, hands gripping her waist tighter, but he was shaking his head as he ended the kiss, ready to deliver bad news to her.

"Sorry, my dad wants me to be there for support -- if this goes well, then he can start a new deal as their company lawyer. I think I'm supposed to help get an in by being better friends with Liam? Like that's possible." Louis rolled his eyes at his father's ignorance, considering his father never remembered a thing about the people in his life; he could rarely even remember Louis was dating Medli most of the time.

"If you were any closer to Liam, you'd be in his pants." She agreed. "Oh alright, I'l go. You owe me though, love." Turning away from him in false anger, she pulled her shoes on and re-adjusted her dress as she ignored his fingers scrambling for her waist. "I'll be finished in just a moment." She brushed her fingertips over his chest gently to assure him she wasn't genuinely mad, then headed back up to finish up her photoshoot. Throughout the last few shots the photographer continued to shower her in compliments, as though that was the way to get her to do what he wanted. However, her real inspiration was Louis standing in the back mocking him, much to the disapproval of the assistant glaring beside him.

"Excellent! You've done a lovely job today darling, you looked absolutely radiant." She restrained herself from rolling her eyes, despite Louis' obvious laughter in the back and put on a fake smile instead.

"Thank you so much! I really appreciate that you considered me for your magazine."

"How could I not? You're the face of true beauty in London right now. I'll let you go though, I'm sure you're terribly busy." She exchanged a couple more pleasantries with him before going back to change into her own clothes, and being once again interrupted by Louis.

"I took it upon myself to pick you up a dress for the evening; a gift for being such a lovely and gorgeous girlfriend." He held up a dark blue gown made of a silky smooth material, clearly designed to cling to her curves while still being comfortable. "I know, I'm great. You can thank me later."

"You are insane." She took the dress from him, holding it up to her front and spinning around. "Let me change real quick and we can leave."

"Wha- wait. I have to leave? It's nothing that I haven't seen!"

"I'm having a day." Making a shoo-ing motion with her hands, Medli backed him out of the makeshift dressing room. "Your ass is nicer than mine and I'm not willing to accept that today. I'll be out in a moment." Louis continued to grumble loud enough for her to hear as he walked off, and she made sure to take as much time as she could putting her shoes o. Once she decided her appearance was passable, she met back up with Louis out front of the studio, and he only had to take one look at her before smirking.

"I knew you would look lovely in that. We might have to end up leaving early so I can appreciate it fully." He muttered as he let his hands rest upon her waist.

"By all means," Medli answered, resting a hand on his shoulder as she pressed her lips against the skin below his ear. "Let's get this show on the road, then." She let him lead her around the corner to where his limo was waiting to take them to the party, allowing her legs to drape over his once they were comfortably in the back of the vehicle. He managed to keep his hands to himself for most of the ride, aside from the hand running over her thigh, making her shiver as she watched the city lights pass by quickly. It wasn't long before they arrived, taking the elevator up to the large main room where everyone was mingling.

"Well, my love," Louis began, letting his hand rest at the small of her back, "I guess it's time we get social."

~~~~

On the other side of the party, taking a long drink from her champagne flute, Jess sighed and tightened her fingers around Liam's upper arm. "Can we escape? Have we suffered enough yet?"

Liam chuckled, arm around her waist tightening slightly as his other hand covered hers to bring the glass away from her lips. "Not quite yet, it's barely been an hour. My father hasn't accosted you on your new jewelry yet."

"Oh, what a shame." She rolled her eyes, pulling her hand away from Liam's enough so she could take another sip. "Why must we be punished for your father making another glorious deal?"

"Alright, I see what's happened." Fingers covering hers once again, he took the glass away this time, setting it on the tray of a passing waiter before turning to face her and resting his hands on her cheeks. "I've clearly let you drink too much too fast. That's the only time you're unable to act the part of interested trust fund baby." Liam leaned down to press a soft kiss to her forehead. "Come on, let's go find my father and gloat a bit."

Jess laughed aloud at the weary tone in his voice. "Don't sound so excited, Liam."

Instead of dignifying her with a response, he merely shoved his hand in her face, making her laugh harder while he lead her through the crowd of fitted suits and elegant dresses. Her fingers tightened around his with nerves as they approached his parents, but by the time he laid his eyes on her again her shoulders were back and her face relaxed, trying to look as poised and interested as possible.

"Liam, there you are! And Jessalyn, I'm glad you could make it. Is that a new necklace I see? You look beautiful." His father greeted them, grinning proudly in Liam's direction as he hugged Jess. "Where have you two been hiding tonight?"

"We've been trying to chat a bit, actually." Jess answered immediately, ever the one to know exactly what to say to please their parents. "Sorry we haven't come to speak to you yet."

"That's quite alright, at least I know you're here. Hope you're enjoying yourself."

"Most assuredly. We actually just wanted to come speak with you before you came looking for us; Jess needs to step out for some air for a moment and we didn't want you to think we'd vanished." Liam explained. On cue, Jess slumped her shoulders slightly, clutching Liam's fingers tighter.

Liam's father glanced over her momentarily, but seemed to buy their story. "Oh Jessalyn, you really should watch the champagne. You're such a small girl." He gave Liam a shifty look, then nodded at them. "Take care of her, alright?"

"Of course. We won't be long, honest." Nodding back, Liam rested his hand at the small of Jess' back and led her away, sighing once Liam's father had turned back to his co-workers. "Jesus, he blames me for not keeping you entertained. You are killing me here."

"Well, he now thinks I have an alcohol problem, so I guess we're even. It's not like he's even going to care tomorrow morning. Can we please just go?" Jess clutched onto Liam's arm, hooking her chin over his shoulder. "Pleeeease?"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go, crybaby." As they made it to the door, he glanced around quickly to be sure no one was looking before snatching a champagne bottle and two flutes from a table and hurrying out the door. They rushed down the hall with their goods, making their way to Liam's room and promptly climbing out the window to the fire escape. Liam took off his jacket and loosened his tie, then poured them both a glass of the bubbling drink as Jess pulled off her shoes and let her hair down. They tapped their glasses in a silent toast before downing it all in one go, Liam re-filling them promptly as Jess let out a deep breath.

"Why do we do this? Why do we continue to bend to their every whim?" She asked as she leaned back to look up at the stars. "We're so weak."

"We do it because it's our job. We have to uphold the family appearance, or their lives will fall to shambles. The fate of their future rests in our adolescent hands." Liam answered dramatically, taking another deep drink from his glass. "Although I must admit, if they insist on marriage, I just can't do it."

"Don't even joke, I'm dreading the day it might come to that." She groaned. "Honestly, we have better things to worry about. Like trying to get you to stop volunteering so much."

"But I like it!" Liam protested, giving her a playful glare. "And what about you? Fawning over the weird kid who spends break smoking behind the equipment shed?"

"Don't talk about him like that! He's... misunderstood. He likes literature, he can't be that bad."

"You're making excuses for him." Liam raised an eyebrow at her, making her look away. "He's a bit odd, you have to admit. And that's a terrible habit. I'm not really sure why you're interested at all."

"He's mysterious, an enigma I just really want to unwrap, y'know?"

"You are ridiculous. Please put down the romance novels."

Narrowing her eyes, Jess reached over and punched Liam in the shoulder, not looking the least bit sorry as he winced. "Don't be an idiot, and be nice. You shouldn't judge people."

"Yes, well." Liam shrugged, rubbing his shoulder. "Just... be careful?"

"Of course, mother." They stared at each other for a few moments, then burst into laughter and reached for their champagne once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
obviously not all the characters are here, just a little intro :)

tell me what you think in the comments?