Say You'll Always Keep Me

So Close, Yet So Far

Rhythmic synchronized footsteps echoed through the abandoned Modest! Management entrance hall, each member of One Direction immersed in deep thought. Muffled shouts caught the group’s attention almost immediately, Liam’s warm cappuccino irises hardening, a disheartened scowl creeping across his face at the sight of hundreds of paparazzi hovering around the entrance doors, the crystalline wall keeping the heartless cameramen at bay. Liam exchanged a taciturn gaze with each of his band members, a speechless tactical plan forming within each of their minds. It was as if a telepathic plan of action had been formed. Each boy nodding at the other, Zayn and Niall took initiative standing at the head of the group. Harry and Louis falling behind them as Katherine sent the group inquisitive glances unaware of what was happening. Zayn’s dark chocolate eyes fell to the iPhone within his palm, finger dancing across the screen as he dialed an unknown number. “Paul, we-” Zayn’s deep voice trailed off as he turned his back to the group, right hand waving wildly in the air as if he were flagging down a plane.

Liam’s calloused fingertips brushed against the palm of Katherine’s dainty hand, the singer’s heart viciously collided against his enduring ribcage in rhythmic throbs, suppressing the feather-light butterflies tickling the extremity of his stomach. An electric current pulsed through the young woman’s fingers, warm pink blush heating up her flawless cheekbones at the unexpected contact. Liam pulled Katherine as close as physically possible, watching Zayn closely for the signal. Katherine’s left hand instinctively landed on Liam’s athletic chest, fingertips brushing against the royal blue cotton sweater adorning his torso. The muscles within Liam’s stomach clenched on contact, the young man visibly gulped as he involuntarily closed his eyes briefly. Zayn send Liam a brusque nod, shoving the cellular devise in his jean pocket. A stunned squeak escaped Katherine’s adequate beige lips as Liam lifted the young woman off of her feet with ease; one arm strategically placed beneath her knees as the other offered support to her mid-back. Katherine wrapped her lean arms around Liam’s neck, lacing her fingers around the nape of his neck.

“Showtime, boys.” Niall’s thick Irish accent called, spontaneously setting the plan into action. Zayn and Niall were the first out the door, pushing through the crowd of howling paparazzi. Harry and Louis followed suit, keeping the pathway open as Liam carried his wife through the madness. The overwhelming sound of camera shutters accompanied by curiously demanding voices filled the air. Question after question, the paparazzi prodded for even a sliver of information to suit their needs for a headlining story. Katherine buried her face in Liam’s neck, completely unaware of how to digest the chaotic frenzy. Inhaling deeply, the scent of fresh leather, and cedar overpowered her nostrils. Liam’s thumb drew soothing circles on the back of her delicate cotton floral print sleeveless blouse, goosebumps spreading through her bare arms at the affectionate gesture. Zayn’s deep voice shouted over the crowd, calling for Liam to walk faster as he opened the band’s limo door. Zayn, Niall, Harry and Louis stepped aside creating a barrier between the paparazzi and Liam.

“In we go, love.” Liam murmured against her silken spiraled chestnut tendrils, carefully helping the young woman to her feet, strong hand instantly lacing their fingers together as the couple climbed to safety. The rest of the boys piled into the vehicle comically, shoving each other without a second thought. The second Harry tucked his long legs to his chest, laying on Niall’s back in the process; the limo door was slammed closed.

“Success!” Louis cheered happily from the bottom of the dog pile, sending Niall into a fit of giggles as each boy struggled to sit up correctly. A string of profanities emitted from the pile of limbs making it nearly impossible to decipher the origin. After several attempts the boys managed to be seated normally, the chorus of “We Found Love” by Rihanna pierced through the silent cab, an embarrassed blush spreading across Katherine’s flawless cheekbones. The impending conversation would be awkward, she knew that, but she couldn’t put off answering. That ring tone was specifically assigned to one person. Finn.

“’ello.” Katherine answered, trying desperately to ignore the five pair of eyes scrutinizing her.

Eliza, what’s going on?” Finn’s deep voice questioned consumed with concern. “Amber said she lost you. Where’ve you gone? Are you alright? Do you need me to come and get you?

“Eliza?” Louis mimicked, scrunching his nose in a disgusted fashion. Liam suppressed the smirk threatening to tug at his lips as he waved a hand in his friend’s direction, attempting to quiet him down.

“I am alright, Finny.” Katherine whispered, turning her back to the boys in a desperate attempt at even a sliver of privacy.

Why’re you whispering? Are you in trouble?” Finn questioned, growing increasingly distressed by his girlfriend’s odd behavior. It wasn’t like her to wonder off on her own, to abandon her best friend in the heart of London. If only Finn Harries knew that Katherine had made it all the way back to Wolverhampton without Amber, only to return to London first thing in the morning.

“No, no.” Katherine replied, tucking a few curls behind her ear. “I am okay, I promise.” A disgruntled sigh sounded from Finn’s end, almost as if he didn’t know whether to believe her or not.

Alright, if you say so, love.” Finn whispered affectionately. “I just miss you and when Amber called, I went mental.

“Everything’s okay. I miss you too.” The adoration in her tone caused Liam’s chest to tighten painfully. Once upon a time, she used the same tone with him. “I love you, Finny.”

I love you, Eliza.” Finn replied with a smile in his voice, Katherine could imagine that cheeky handsome smile of his, perfect straight pearly whites gleaming as his abysmal olive irises gazed at her lovingly. Shouting in the background on Finn’s end caused the young woman to roll her eyes. “Jack says hello.

“Hello, Jack.” Katherine released an adorable giggle, the muscle within Liam’s chest sputtering at the harmonious sound. “I’ve gotta go, babe.”

Of course.” Finn replied casually. “I’ll leave you to find Amber. You girls have fun, but not too much.” The warning although meant to be lighthearted, earned a seed of guilt. “I love you, sweetheart.

“Right, I love you too.” Katherine whispered feeling increasingly uncomfortable. “Bye.”

Bye, love.

Image

Simon introduced the brilliant idea of traveling to their hometown together, providing the public a glimpse of the newlywed couple. “This is everything, yeah?” Liam’s deep voice questioned politely, strong hand grasping the thick plastic handle of his wife’s meticulously decorated luggage. Katherine nodded wordlessly, manicured fingers clutching the leather strap of her pricey Louis Vuitton Ursula bag in a white knuckled grip. The young woman wanted to break the news to Finn gently, to ease the blow to their relationship that was inevitable; yet, here she was venturing on a two hour long road trip from London to Wolverhampton with her ‘husband’ so the paparazzi can snap a few good photographs of the couple together.

“There are loads of paps downstairs.” A raspy female voice informed eagerly. “You suppose David Beckham is here? We sh-” The cheerful chattering dissipated, a suffocating tension overcoming the group immediately. “What’s he doing here?” The vicious inquiry caught the couple off guard, completely oblivious on how to proceed due to the unexpected entrance. Katherine’s milk chocolate hazel flecked irises crept unsurely between Liam and her best friend, Amber. The young woman glared at the musician with callous cobalt irises; platinum blonde hair tied in an unkept bun, full peach lips contorted in a vicious frown, thin hands placed expectantly on her narrow hips.

“It’s nice to see you, Amber.” Liam greeted politely, strong hands pulling the handle of his wife’s luggage. A piercing squeak sounded as the arm of the suitcase was fully extended.

“Why is he here, Kat?” Amber repeated, completely disregarding Liam’s attempt at formality.

“It’s... complicated.” Katherine whispered casting her attention to the midnight suede rose cut-out high heels.

“Is that where you were last night?” Amber inquired, a gasp escaping her peach lips as she formulated overactive conclusions on the previous night’s events. “He was at the pub!” Katherine refused to make eye contact, completely aware of her best friend’s vicious glare. “You left with him! Katherine, how could you?!”

“Amber, lower your voice.” Liam plead, dark eyebrows furrowed in concern as he caught a glimpse of curious hotel occupants passing by the open door.

“Don’t talk to me, you twat!” Amber shouted angrily. “This is going to destroy Finn. You know, Finn, your bloke?”

“Stop.” Liam commanded sternly, essentially ending her tirade. “Look, be mad at me.” He offered, glaring coldly at the blonde. “But don’t talk to her like that.”

“Don’t act like you care!” Amber hollered, pointing a lavender painted finger in his direction accusingly. “You didn’t care when you left her-”

“I never stopped caring. You have your opinions and I understand that, but I never stopped caring about her or you.” Liam interfered, deep voice consumed with hurt. Liam was sensitive and this subject was a definite sore spot. A modest knock interrupted the argument, the boys of One Direction awkwardly standing in the doorway completely oblivious to the commotion. Katherine instinctively wrapped her arms around herself, feeling incredibly uncomfortable with the entire situation. A startled gasp pierced the silence, a string of inappropriate profanities escaping plush peach lips.

“K-Katherine.” Amber mumbled in disbelief, cautiously approaching her best friend. “You didn’t.” The blonde reached out, gazing at the noticeable diamond ring on the young woman’s left ring finger. “T-Tell me you d-didn’t.” As if by instinct, Amber whipped around catching sight of the simple silver band on Liam’s left ring finger. Warm tears blurred Katherine’s sorrowful milk chocolate hazel flecked eyes, an audible hiccup escaping the young woman’s glossed beige lips as the boys watched helplessly. Amber cursed under her breath, embracing her friend tightly as she nuzzled her spiraled shoulder length chestnut tendrils.

“I d-don’t know w-what h-happened.” Katherine’s muffled voice sobbed. “I don’t r-remember. F-Finn.” She hiccupped, hugging Amber tightly. “H-he’s gonna h-hate me.”

“He won’t hate you, love.” Amber whispered, thin hand rubbing her bare arm soothingly. “He’ll just be hurt.” The phrase left the blonde’s lips with a venomous intentions, staring directly at Liam as she finished. “He’s going to be heartbroken.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Katherine's Outfit/Ring
Comment, Subscribe and Recommend. :)