Killjoys, Make Some Noise!

The Fight

The Impala was the last vehicle to pull up outside the BL/ind. headquarters. Vampire Tabloid was rooting around in the trunk of her car. Graffiti Dream was cleaning his gun, and Motivation Ghost was leaning up against his bike (one he had stolen from the very first Drac he had taken out. He subsequently covered the BL/ind. factory paint with graffiti and stickers. It was kinda like a cast; every new Killjoy he met spray-painted a greeting on his bike) looking more bored than anything. But he was scared, Static Memory could tell. Vampire Tabloid pulled a pair of jeans out of the trunk, pulling them on under her skirt.

"This is it. You okay?" Energy Emerald asked his twin.

She smiled at him. "As long as you don't leave my side."

They hugged each other, squeezing hard, before climbing out of the car. The five Killjoys gathered around Vampire Tabloid. She spoke immediately.

"I just got word from Party Poison and Fun Ghoul. They're safe."

There were relieved sighs all around. Vampire Tabloid turned her head to stare up at the thirteen-story tall building. "Missile Kid's in there." She looked at her Killjoys, each one with unwavering loyalty shining in their eyes. "We gotta get her." They each nodded. "Let's go."

They walked in V formation to the doors, everyone's hands on their guns. They crossed paths with only a few Draculoids, but they were nothing Motivation Ghost and Energy Emerald couldn't handle. Finding the room Missile Kid was kept in wasn't hard, and the room wasn't guarded very heavily. Something unsettling formed in Static Memory's stomach. This was almost too easy.

Vampire Tabloid kicked the door in, and Missile Kid ran to her. She scooped the small girl up in her arms.

"You ok, Kid?" Missile Kid nodded, and buried her face in Vampire Tabloid's neck. Everyone jumped when red lights flashed and an alarm sounded.

"They know we're here," Vampire Tabloid gulped. "We gotta go."

They all ran from the room.

They shot their way back to the main lobby before they were overrun. The Dracs outnumbered them three to one. Vampire Tabloid set Missile Kid on her feet. "Stay behind me." The Kid nodded.

Vampire Tabloid drew her gun. There were laser blasts coming from every direction. It was an all-out firefight. Motivation Ghost took out five Dracs himself before he was caught in the back.

"No!" Graffiti Dream screamed, launching himself at the Drac that had killed his friend. He took him to the ground, shooting him in the heart with his own gun. He was so caught up with revenge that he didn't feel the gun against his own head until it was too late. The Dracs were falling, but not as quickly as the Killjoys.

Vampire Tabloid grabbed Missile Kid's hand and led her to the door. Static Memory ran after them, followed my Energy Emerald. However, he turned and closed the door after his sister, locking himself inside. Static Memory screamed, kicked the door, and yelled for her brother to get out. She watched in horror as he was shot twice in the shoulder, and fell. She shot at the glass door, shattering it. She fell to her knees, hugging her brother's slowly breathing body, still shooting at the Dracs, buying time for Vampire Tabloid and Missile Kid time to escape. Vampire Tabloid screamed for Static Memory to get in the car, but she just kept shooting until her gun ran out. She laid her head on Energy Emerald's now still chest, holding him in her arms as she was shot from every angle.

Vampire Tabloid sobbed, tears running uncontrollably down hers and Missile Kid's cheeks. She sped away from BL/ind., leaving Dracs shooting after her car. She watched as Static Memory's and Energy Emerald's bodies fade in her rearview mirror.

It wasn't long before Missile Kid fell asleep. Vampire Tabloid just drove, and thought. She has watched her friends die. BL/ind. had taken everything from her. No, not everything. Not her hope. Her fellow Killjoys didn't die in vain. She would see to that. She would make sure that they never stopped fighting. She wasn't alone. There were hundreds, maybe thousands of hidden Killjoys backing her. One day, the world would see them. And it would thank them. She'd see it through that everyone would know who had died, and that they had died fighting. They had died heroes.

She ran her fingers through Missile Kid's hair, and watched the sun rise. Eventually, she flipped on the radio.

"Alright, children. The lights are out, and the party's over. It's time for me, Dr. D to start running and say good-bye, for a little while. And I know you're gonna miss me, so I'll leave you with this. You know that big ball of radiations we call the sun? Well, it'll burst you into flames if you stay in one place too long. That is, if the static don't get you first. So remember, even if you're dusted, you may be gone, but out here in the desert, your shadow lives on without you. This is Dr. Death Defying, signing off."