Sequel: Lesser Gods

Of Greater Sires

Átta

Although Raeyn remembered most of her and Loki's rather intimate encounter, she did not see him very often. Though, the times that she did he would give her a small smile, unlike before when his gaze would dart away. Every so often he politely joined her for dinner, but in her mind they still weren't quite friends, only companions or even acquaintances. There was still a wall of polite awkwardness that strangers held that divided the two gods.

Raeyn didn’t mind too much. After her embarrassing encounter with him before, she didn’t much want to see him. So instead she took to the streets, buying whatever she wished and just wandering around from dawn until dusk. This lasted several weeks until she was finally approached by a lone mortal. She was sitting in a dark café, but the food was delicious and reminded her of home. Home, in this case, meaning Norway.

The woman slid into the booth opposite Raeyn while she waited for her food. She glanced up, and through her cropped brown bangs, she saw a woman in her mid-thirties staring at her expectantly.

“May I help you?” Raeyn finally asked.

“Nowhere else to sit,” she woman replied shortly. Even through the sunglasses, her gaze was heavy. Raeyn pointedly looked around her. It was not completely empty, but there were certainly more empty tables than full ones. She leant forward slightly.

“Why have you come here?” she asked suspiciously. The unnaturally red lips of the woman curled into a humorless smile.

“Don’t get your panties in a twist,” the woman said dryly. “I just haven’t gotten out in a while. All my friends are gone. You know?”

Raeyn nodded noncommittally.

The woman laughed dryly and leaned back in the chair, looking up at the ceiling. “Every thing’s gone to hell ever since this character took over the place.”

Raeyn lifted a brow at the woman, beginning to wonder if she was mad. “You shouldn’t speak so loud. You never know who may be listening.” Raeyn nodded to a man sitting a few rows away that she had seen many times while at the cafe. “You see him? He’s an informer. So it would do you best if you not say such things here.”

Raeyn had figured that her tone was quite cold, but the woman looked up at her with interest.

“Cayenne,” she said, sticking her hand out.

Raeyn swallowed and reached across the tables to shake. “Ramona,” she replied, taking the name she used in university.

“I like you, Ramona. I think you’d like some of my friends, too. You’re like us.”

Raeyn narrowed her eyes. “I thought you said…?”

Cheyenne waved her petite hand to silence Raeyn. “Never mind what I said. I was looking for recruits, you know?”

At this, Raeyn was completely lost. “Recruits?”

“Shh!” Cheyenne hushed, glaring at Raeyn. “Not so loud! Like you said we’ve got an informer behind us.”

Raeyn was shocked. “Look, I’m really not interested…”

“Oh, nonsense! You’ll be perfect. Completely overlooked… female, young… Quite like Lew. You’ll get along well with her. But come, I have to introduce you to them first. Then you can make your decision.”