Status: Prologue Complete

All the Things You Are

Chapter 10

The following morning, Jelena and Jaromir drove to Southpointe for the first practice of training camp. "Some of the guys are going to have their families with them, maybe you can make friends with some of the women, dceruska", he said.

"Ano, Dad. But if I don't like them, I don't like them", she retorted, an amused look in her blue eyes.

Jaromir chuckled as he drove past security who waved them through when he saw the sticker on the window. "I really admire that in anyone, I like honest people", he said.

He parked the used black BMW in the player's lot and led them inside through a big black and yellow door which read Personnel Only. A long concrete walkway led towards the interior of the facility, opening up to reveal a skating rink surrounded by a Plexiglass wall with a about a thousand seats in the stands. Several players in black practice uniforms were already on the ice doing skating drills as a coach looked on, the PA playing Master of Puppets by Metallica.

Jaromir walked down at flight of stairs to the dressing room while Jelena found a seat near the Plexiglass around the rink. "Bonjour mademoiselle", said a kind female voice.

She looked up and saw a young woman her age nearby, a baby girl in a pink onesie and matching knit hat cradled in her arms. The woman was very petite and quite pretty with curly black hair framing a doll-like face with red Cupid's bow lips and round blue eyes, wearing a simple black dress adorned with white polka dots, black stockings and black suede ankle boots.

Type text or a website address or translate a document.
Cancel
Example usage of "":
automatically translated by Google
"Bonjour madame, mon nom est Jelena Novotna. Qui-etes vous?", she asked in her flawless, accent-less French.

"Mon nom est Marie Gagnon-Letang, et c'est ma fille Samantha", she said.

"She is tres jolie, madame Letang", she said as Samantha looked at her curiously. She had her mothers curly black hair and wide chocolate-brown eyes, sucking on a pacifier as her attention went down to the ice.

"My husband Kris is at practice, he is a defenseman", said Marie, giving her a curious look.

"I'm not dating anyone on the team, I'm with my father", she replied.

"Qui est ton pere?", she asked.

"Mon pere est Jaromir Jagr, c'est une longue histoire", she replied dryly.

"Sorry I'm late, glad to see you here Miss Novotna", said Ellen as she sat next to him, a young blond boy climbing onto her lap.

"Bonjour Ellen. Jelena, this is Geno's wife Ellen and their son Ruslan", said Marie.

"Aye, you know me and this is our son Ruslan Evgenivich Malkin", she said.

"Ruslan the Lion, nice. I was kind of nervous meeting the other women, but you guys are all right", Jelena chuckled.

"That's because you're not one of the girlfriends, at least not a new one. And you have to pass muster with Vero, she's Marc's wife and the head WAG", said Ellen.

"Bonjour, mes amies", said Vero, holding her son Henri on her hip and looking at Jelena curiously.

"Bonjour, Vero et Henri. This is Jelena, she is Jaromir Jagr's daughter", said Marie.

Vero's brown eyes went wide in surprise as she sat down and shook her hand. "Pardon, but I thought you were a new girlfriend. I am Veronique Larose-Fleury this is our son Henri", she said.

"I am Jelena Novotna, it was a shock for me too find out about my dad", she chuckled.

The women turned their attention to the ice as some of the players had a shootout drill, Marc in net as he deflected shots from his teammates and cursed at them good-naturedly in French. "The team had a losing record in shootouts last year, Coach Bylsma wants to make sure it doesn't happen this year", explained Vero.

"This Saturday the team is throwing a party for the season ticket holders, we can invite someone. Do you have anyone in mind?", asked Marie.

A slow smile came to her face as an idea came to mind. "As a matter of fact, I do", she said. Jelena took out her phone and showed them a picture of her and Ausra taken at the Russian Club spring party. Ausra wore tight jeans and a white embroidered off-the-shoulder peasant blouse stitched with tiny purple, red and yellow flowers around the hem and Birkenstocks on her feet. Her gleaming red hair fell to her waist in two long braids and her green eyes danced with mischief as she flashed a peace sign at the camera, her full red mouth open in a smirk.

"That's my friend Ausra, she's a hippie, medieval chick. We're both in the advanced Russian program at Carnegie Mellon", she explained.

"She is very pretty and looks so happy, she has a terrific smile", said Vero.

"Yeah, that's why I call her Dawn Girl. And she has a very sunny personality", said Jelena.

"Mes amies, I have an idea. I want to see if we can hook her up with Sid, he is such a bachelor and so serious, he needs to have some fun", said Marie.

"Ausra knows who he is and she wasn't at all freaked out when I said I met him at Mr. Lemieux's house. It could work, but I do know it's going to be interesting", said Jelena.