Status: Prologue Complete

All the Things You Are

Chapter 11

"I hope this friend of yours knows how to behave", said Vera haughtily as Jaromir drove towards Ausra's building.

"This is just a casual party, not a fancy dress ball", Jelena retorted.

Vera gave her a dirty look and went back to checking her phone. She wore a sheer sky blue silk minidress and matching heels, her blond hair freshly styled and an enormous diamond and sapphire necklace around her neck with matching earrings. In contrast, Jelena wore a simple black dress with a mid-length black skirt and a black and white striped top, her curly dark hair loose around her shoulders and a simple silver and pearl necklace around her slim neck.

Ausra was waiting for them as Jaromir parked the car and opened the door. "Dad, this is my friend Ausra Raudonas. Ausra, this is my dad", said Jelena as they shook hands.

Vera's eyes were narrow green slits as she glared at the younger girl. Ausra wore an unusual green gown shot through with gold and silver threads, its wide sleeves, plunging neckline and floor-length skirt making it look like a medieval gown. Her red hair gleamed like highly polished amber and hung in two thick braids to her waist, a spot of blush on her cheeks and her lips painted cherry red.

"Damn Girl, that is an awesome outfit", exclaimed Jelena.

"Thanks, I made it myself", said Ausra with a little laugh.

"You look like a hippie", said Vera disapprovingly.

"I'm a hippie from a long line of hippies, madam. And is that a Versace, blue really suits you", she said cheerfully.

Vera preened at the compliment, prouder than a peacock. "Dekuji, it's from the latest collection", she replied.

Ausra and Jelena exchanged a look, knowing Vera would shut for now. They arrived at Southpointe soon after as Jaromir gave the keys to the valet, escorting the women inside. "You ladies go and have a good time", he said with a chuckle.

Vero saw them and waved them over to the bar. "Bonjour, mesdames", she said kindly. She wore a simple black evening gown with a hem that nearly swept the floor and matching long black velvet gloves, her dark brown hair swept up with a few loose curls around her face.

"Bonjour, Vero. This is my father's girlfriend Vera and Vera this is Veronique Larose-Fleury, Marc-Andre's wife", said Jelena.

Vera sized up the other woman and gave her a tepid handshake, thinking that her outfit was too plain and that she didn't wear any jewelry other than a wedding ring. "Very glad to meet you, Mrs. Fleury", she said politely.

"Marie, bonjour", said Jelena as the tiny Frenchwoman came over to them.

"Bonjour, mes amies. Je aimer vous robe, madam", she said graciously to Vera.

"Thank you very much, it's a Versace and I got it from the boutique in Prague", she said proudly.

"I will show them around, madam", said Vero as the other women beat a hasty retreat.

"Is that your father's girlfriend?", asked Marie in shock.

"Oui, and she is usually worse than this. Lucky me", said Jelena.

"And I forgot my manners, you are Ausra?", said Vero.

"Oui, madame Fleury. Did Jelena show you the pictures on her phone, that was a great party", said Ausra with a laugh.

"You speak French, Ausra?", asked Marie.

"Oui, je parler Francais, Russe, Espagnol, et Lithuanian. Mon mere est Lithuanian et mon pere est Russe", she replied.

"Tres bien, Ausra. We can speak French and annoy the Duchess", said Jelena as they all laughed.

Meanwhile, Sid was at the bar nursing a drink at the bar and watching everyone else on the dance floor or just standing around and talking. He felt acutely self conscious of being here all by himself, being one of the few bachelors on the team. Sid took a sip of his Scotch and asked the bartender for a refill, glancing around the room.

He scanned the room and noticed Marie, Vero and Jelena in a small circle, drinks in hand along with another woman he didn't recognize. Sid took another sip and peered closer, wondering who she was. The woman was very tall and redhaired, wearing a green flowing gown with a long skirt and flowing sleeves. Maybe she's someone's sister, he mused.

"Bonjour Sid, we are just waiting for Ellen and Geno", said Marie.

"Sid, this is Jelena's friend Ausra Raudonas. Ausra, this is Sidney Crosby", she said as they shook hands.

Sid smiled and shook her hand, realizing that up close Ausra was even more striking. He frowned in dismay when he realized that she was almost three inches taller than him, and while wearing flats.

"Hello, miss. That's an unusual name", he said.

"I know, it's Lithuanian. It means Dawn and my middle name Gintaras means amber, my mom is Lithuanian and my dad is Russian. And of course everyone knows you, Mr. Crosby", he teased.

Sid just chuckled as he took her hand and led her towards the bar. "I'll have a raspberry Stoli", she said.

"Nice", he said approvingly as the bartender got her drink.

Ausra was about to reach into her purse but Sid put his hand on hers, his big paw atop her slim pale one. "I'll pay for it, a gentleman always pays for the drinks", he said gallantly.

"I'm not used to being treated like a lady, but I accept, Mr. Crosby", she teased.

"Are you related to anyone here?", he asked.

"No, but Jelena is my best friend since we were kids, my sister lives in Philly and all three of us are thick as thieves. And I don't charm easily, Mr. Crosby", she teased.

"I like that, it's different. And I've never met a girl taller than me before", he chuckled.

"I'm Lithuanian and Russian, both sides of the family are tall. You ought to visit sometime", she teased.

"Are you single?", he asked.

"Yeah, I only date guys taller than me. I'm being honest, I don't mess around", she said.

"I appreciate the honesty, I don't get that a lot. Maybe this is the start of a beautiful friendship", he teased as they clinked glasses.

"Perhaps, Sidney Crosby", she drawled.

Meanwhile Jelena and Marie were seated at a table and talking. "So you play clarinet, my father is a big Artie Shaw fan", said Marie.

"So am I, his style is more musical than Benny Goodman and he had some great singers", replied Jelena.

She came to attention as a slow smile formed on her face, her blue eyes dancing with mischief. "This band they got sucks, let's try something", she said.

The band took a break and Jelena took out her clarinet case, flicking open the lock and revealing the clarinet. "Is that a granadilla clarinet?", asked Marie in awe.

"Yeah, it's the one professionals use. I started out on a plastic one in school, I was in band", she replied, handing it over to her Marie.

Marie and Jelena exchanged a look and smiled as the tiny Frenchwoman led them onstage while the crowd looked on curiously. Jelena checked the reed and fiddled with the knobs, nodding in approval before playing the opening notes of Deep Purple while Marie began to sing:

When the deep purple falls
Over sleepy garden walls
And the stars begin to flicker in the sky
Through the mist of a memory
You wander back to me
Breathing my name with a sigh

In the still of the night
Once again I'll hold you tight
Though you're gone your love lives on
When moonlight beams
And as long as my heart will beat Lover,
we'll always meet Here in my deep purple dreams

And as long as my heart will beat Lover,
we'll always meet Here in my deep purple dreams

All eyes were on them as Jelena played and Marie sang the 40's jazz standard in her sweet girlish soprano, adding just a bit of huskiness as Kris beamed with pride. Jaromir was at the bar talking with some of the other players when he heard the music, looking up and seeing them onstage. He grinned and felt proud w hen he saw Jelena playing beautifully, her long fingers manipulating the keys and blowing into the mouthpiece as she played Lady Be Good. The fast, frenetic Gershwin tune was quite difficult to play with the various time changes and the higher register, Jelena blowing hard and manipulating the keys as she played the highest notes and made it look easy.

Everyone in the room stood up and clapped when she finished, the women linking arms and taking a bow. Jelena was red-faced from her exertions and with a bit of embarrassment, a slight grin on her face as she followed Marie off-stage.

"You knocked 'em dead, JJ", enthused Ausra, clapping her on the back.

Vera gave her a wan smile. "Don't do that next time", she hissed.

"At least I got some taste in music, I don't listen to crappy techno", she replied as Vera glared.