Status: Prologue Complete

All the Things You Are

Chapter 12

The Penguins were playing a preaseason game against the Rangers at Consol in front of a sold-out crowd. Jelena, Vera and Ausra were sitting the family section along with the other families, Jelena wearing jeans and her father's jersey with the name and number on the back. "Why are you wearing that ugly thing?", sniffed Vera.

"It's Dad's jersey", she retorted, looking at Vera's outfit. She wore a strapless powder blue Dolce and Gabbana evening gown with a knee-length skirt and matching heels, a magnificent diamond and sapphire necklace around her neck and matching earrings as the other women gave her wary looks.

"Excuse me, I have to use the bathroom", said Carol-Lyn Dupuis as she handed her baby daughter Lola to Jelena.

The baby looked up at her with wide amber eyes that resembled her father's, sucking on her pacifier. She was a pretty baby with straight black hair and large amber eyes the color of honey, wearing a Penguins onesie with her father's name and number on the back and a pink bow in her hair. "Bonjour, belle fille", cooed Jelena as the baby giggled.

"Isn't she a little cutie?", said Ausra as Lola giggled.

Vera gave her a wan smile, thinking the baby was gross with her pacifier and her dark coloring reminding her of a Gypsy. "She is a nice baby, but I hope she is clean", she said haughtily.

Marie and Ellen exchanged looks. "Madam Jagr, Lola is a very sweet baby, non?", said Marie, deliberatly making her accent thicker.

Vera preened at being called a madam, proud as a peacock. "Of course, Mrs. Letang", she replied.

"Ella est un putain mal", said Marie as Jelena nodded in agreement.

Carol-Lyn came back and Jelena handed Lola back to her just as the teams prepared to face off, Sid up against Brad Richards. The referee dropped the puck and Sid won the draw as the crowd cheered, passing the puck to Beau Bennett as the winger sped towards the Rangers' goal. The rookie deked Lundqvist out of position and fired a wrist shot that went past the goalie to make it 1-0 Penguins, the crowd roaring in delight.

"So Ausra, what's it like watching the game from here?" asked Jelena.

"Badass, I'm used to watching games from the rafter seats at the Igloo or Verizon, and the family section at the Joe. This is awesome", she said happily.

"Do you really make your own dresses?", asked Vero, smiling as Henri cheered when Marc made a save on Gaborik.

"Oui, I've been sewing dresses since I was about ten. I'm in the SCA and I sew the outfits for the reenactments and such, we have a reenactment of a battle between the Poles and the Tatars next weekend up in Erie", she replied.

"What are you going as?", asked Ellen, watching as Ruslan peered down onto the ice and looked for his father.

"My alter ego is Anastasia Sergeyovna, I'm half-Russian and my dad's family is from near the Polish border. Back in the those days there wasn't a huge different between the Poles and Russians, many of them were still pagans", she explained.

"Ask her anything about the Dark Ages and the Middle Ages, she's a total history geek", said Jelena.

"I'm Scottish, is there anything Scottish there?", asked Ellen.

"Yeah, many chapters do the British medieval thing but the chapter I belong to has a lot of Eastern European stuf, there's a lot of these folks here. I'm a first level Sycamore which is the award for arts and sciences, I have a special sash that I wear for events", she explained.

The Penguins ended up winning the game 2-1 as the fans left happy. "Jags, you dirty god. You are leaving here with three of the hottest girls in the arena", teased Sid.

Jaromir just laughed, stripping out of his uniform and leaving it for the attendant. "Ja, I know. But one of them is my daughter and the other is my girlfriend", he chuckled.

"Oui, mon pere Czech. But I have my own ladies waiting for me", laughed Kris.

An hour later they were at Diesel celebrating the win. The club was hopping on this Saturday night, the dance floor teaming with bodies and the bar wall-to-wall with drinkers as a DJ in a booth spun loud techno music. Jelena peered down at the dance floor from their perch in the VIP area on the second floor, only having been to te club once in college. "I'm not used to this either", said Ausra.

Jelena nodded in agreement as she took a sipof her martini with wild berry Stoli, grimacing in distaste as she watched Vera dancing with Jaromir. "This music sucks, but that's what they have at these places", said Sid, taking a sip from his bottle of Rolling Rock.

"And I got to see them dancing, I hope they're not going to do it later", she said in distaste.

"Mesdames, why don't we go and dance?", asked Simon Despres, a cocky grin on his face.

"Tres bien, monsieur Despres", said Ausra as she extended her hand in invitation. Simon grinned like a Cheshire Cat as he led her onto the dance floor, pleased to see that she was nearly his height of 6'4. Ausra wore a deep forest green gown with a knee-length skirt and cap sleeves that she had designed herself, a green satin sash around her slim waist and matching flats on her feet. Her red hair shone like highly polished copper and fell past her waist in loose waves, her lips painted a vivid cherry-red and her green eyes outlined with smoky black kohl.

"Vous et mas belle, mademoiselle", he said gallantly.

"Merci monsieur, but don't flatter me", she said cheekily. I do have to admit he's sort of hot, she mused. Simon was several inches taller than her, dressed in black slacks and a white shirt with a red tie jauntily askew and his shaggy dark hair just brushing his collar, his light blue eyes so startling agaisnt his olive complexion.

Sid and Jelena had a chuckle as a waitress arrived with more drinks. "Let's go dance", she said.

"I don't dance, I completely suck at it", replied Si, a blush creeping up his neck.

"I suck at dancing too, what's the harm?", she asked.

Sid asked the waitress for something and she returned a bit later with two shots of Crown. He handed one to her and they knocked them back, taking her hand and leading them to the dance floor. Ausra gave her a thumbs up and the DJ spun a very fast song as the dance floor became crowded. "Just follow me", she said. Sid watched as she stood opposite him and started doing a dance which resembled a cross between an Irish hornpipe and a Cossack squat-dance. He felt the alcohol take over and he followed her, seeing everyone stare at them but he just ignored them. Jelena smiled encouringly at him and led him in dancing, Sid's face breaking into a grin.

Jaromir saw them and grinned, clearly glad to see his daughter and his captain dancing, both of them laughing and happy. Vera scowled when she had to stop dancing, seeing them make fools of themselves. "Jaromir, they are being stupid", she muttered.

"They are having fun, Vera. Leave them be", said Jaromir, a stern note in his voice.