Status: Prologue Complete

All the Things You Are

Chapter 5

"Uvolnit se, vole. Believe me, the media is going to be a lot more tolerant than Deda. He still thinks he's an aristocrat, titles were abolished years ago", said Milan reassuringly.

"I know we're good friends and all, cousin, but don't call me Ox. I'm not that Czech", she teased.

"That's the spirit, Jelena. And of course Vera is going to be wearing her best dress, she will never pass up the opportunity to look good in the press", said Milan dryly.

Jelena nodded in agreement as she peered into the mirror and applied her makeup. Her and Milan were inside her dressing room at the arena while the television crews from various TV stations got ready, Jaromir having announced a press conference earlier.

"All you got to do is speak Czech and act like a lady, since there are so few of us Czech speakers outside the country they'll be impressed. And there's no doubting you are Uncle Jaromir's daughter, you have the Jagr looks", said Milan.

Jelena finished with her makeup and placed the little compact and tubes back into her clarinet case. "I know, reckon I was the only person in Sewickly who could speak Czech. Between that and my clarinet playing, I wasn't very popular in school", she deadpanned.

"What sort of school did you go to?", asked Milan curiously.

"St. Eulalie, the finest Catholic girls' school money can buy. Just a lot of rich girls with daddies and useless mothers, at least I got a good education out of it", she replied.

"Lucky my parents sent me to a regular school, I don't like fancy private schools. Anyways, it is almost time", said Milan.

There was a knock on the door as Jaromir came in. He was dressed in a sharp gray tailored suit that made him look very dignified, his graying dark hair neatly combed and his face clean-shaven.

"Zlomet voka, dceruska", he said.

"Ja vedet, but I'm still nervous. It's not everyday you're on TV", she retorted, an amused look in her blue eyes.

Jaromir chuckled at her words and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. "Ja mit rad jak ty myslet, dceruska", he teased.

"It's a coping mechanism, I have a strong asshole streak", she joked.

Jaromir just laughed as he escorted Jelena to the temporary green room near the podium set up at center ice. "No matter what, you are my daughter, Jelena. I've had bad things said about me in the press and I've gotten used to it, if you work in the limelight it is something you have get used to", he said.

The producer entered the room and smiled at them. "Excuse me, but you are going to be on in a few minutes", he said.

"All right, we'll be there", said Jaromir.

Jelena took a deep breath and crossed herself as she followed them out of the room. Her heart pounded furiously when she saw the podium set up on the floor of the arena with many reporters sitting in front of it on metal chairs, their tape recorders at the ready. Jaromir gave her hand a reassuring squeeze as he led her onto the podium, sitting in the center flanked by Milan and his agent.

"So Jaromir, why did you call for a press conference?", asked the first reporter.

Jaromir smiled at the man and squeezed Jelena's hand. "I want to introduce my daughter, Jelena Novotna. I made a big mistake when I was younger and I am trying to make up for it", he replied.

There was a loud murmur coming from the crowd at his words as the reporters tried to ask questions all at once. "Jaromir, are you sure about that?", asked another reporter dubiously.

"Of course, Jelena is a Jagr. I have always known that, she was living with my uncle in the states and I know how she was raised', he said, an edge in his voice.

"Miss Novotna, how did you feel after finding out Jaromir was your father?", asked a reporter.

"I always knew Miroslav was not my biological father, but when I got a call from his lawyer I was still shocked. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my Dad and I are still working on our relationship, we got a lot of catching up to do", she replied in flawless Czech, much to their surprise.

"Miss Novotna, did you have any idea who your father was?", asked another reporter.

"No idea, and I grew up in Pittsburgh. I mean, I'd obviously heard of him and all but I had not idea he was my father. Miroslav never told me anything, and it didn't help either that my last name is Novotna, and his is Novotny", she explained.

"Miss Novotna, you speak excellent Czech. Did you learn it as a child?", asked a reporter.

"Dekuji mnohokrat. Miroslav insisted I speak Czech at home. I also learned Russian at school and took French and Spanish in high school, I am fluent in Russian, Spanish, French and Czech. I don't know how popular that is going to make me here, though", she said dryly as everyone had a laugh.

Jaromir looked on with pride as Jelena deftly fielded questions from the reporters, acting as though she had done this her whole life. He glanced over at Vera and frowned when she saw the scowl on her face, making a note to talk with her later. Vera looked icily beautiful in her short tight white dress that clung to her body, her blond hair perfectly done and a costly diamond and emerald necklace around her throat that shimmered in the lights of the arena. Vera looked so out of place here, like a queen deigning to visit the peasants, her cool green eyes glaring daggers at the younger woman.

The press conference ended as the reporters gradually dispersed. "You did great, Jelena. My cousin is going to be on TV", teased Milan.

Jaromir was about to say something to Vera but she gave him a flirtatious smile, eyelashes fluttering over her large green eyes. "Jaromir, don't you think we ought to celebrate? I think your daughter deserves it", she purred.

Jaromir smiled indulgently at his girlfriend and gave her a quick kiss. "Of course, Vera. This does call for a celebration", he said.

Milan and Jelena didn't miss the triumphant smile on the other woman's face as Jaromir led them outside to his car. "We really ought to go shopping, Jelena. You are going to have to look like a lady, in spite of everything", said the other woman, arching a perfect blond eyebrow at her plain dark blue dress with white stockings and black pumps.

Jelena fought the urge to slap the smug look on the blond's face. "That sounds like a good idea, Vera", she agreed.

Vera appeared momentarily startled at her acquiescence but quickly put a smile back on her face, something that neither Milan or Jelena let go unnoticed. "Ladies, you go shopping and we'll pick you up later", said Jaromir.

"Now Jelena, you are going to have to start looking as though you really are Jaromir's daughter. You can't be looking like an American", said Vera, accenting the last word.

"What's wrong with being an American?", she asked with a frown.

"Americans are a really vulgar people, many of them have only been in the country for less than a hundred years and they were peasants anyways. Myself, before the Communists were nobles just like your father's family. In fact, our family had the title from the old Hapsburgs like the Jagr's. Anyways, you ought to act it, not be so common", said Vera haughtily.

Jelena mentally counted to ten and fought the urge to slap the other woman. Vera led them inside a Versace boutique as one of the immaculately dressed saleswomen came over to them, a fawning smile on her face. "May I help you, Miss Vera?", she asked obsequiously.

"Please find her appropriate clothes, I will call you if I need anything", said Vera.

"Follow me", said the saleswoman.

Jelena tried not to look out of place in the exclusive boutique, many of the brightly-designed clothes absolutely gorgeous and quite expensive. "With your coloring, you would look very good in bold colors like red, purple, darker shades of blue. And this is from the latest line", she said.

Jelena was in awe of the dress the saleswoman showed her. It was made of rich mulberry purple satin that was embroidered with tiny glass beads no bigger than pinpricks which shimmered in the light of the store, sleeveless with a halter neckline and a brief skirt that came in her size. "It's beautiful", she murmured.

"She'll take it, wrap it up and deliver it to the house", said Vera imperiously as the saleswoman rushed to do her bidding.

"This is a Versace dress from the new line, be very careful", she warned.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry about the long delay, but I had a virus on my laptop and I finally got rid of it. Hope you guys like :D