Status: Prologue Complete

All the Things You Are

Chapter 6

"Whoever is in charge of these things has a great sense of humor", said Jelena dryly as the plane approached Pittsburgh International Airport.

"Ja, this is where I started my career and had some of best years. It will be a way to make up for how I left", said Jaromir, a shadow crossing his face.

Jelena nodded in understanding, remembering how he had been traded and the team had completely tanked. "That's a good thing, somehow I can't imagine you as a Dallas Star", she teased.

Jaromir chuckled at his daughter and watched as the plane began it's descent. Vera glanced out the window and frowned, not looking forward to living here at all. Why couldn't the team have traded him to someplace like New York or California, this is a nothing place, she thought in distaste.

"Where are we staying, Jaromir?", she asked.

"The team found us a condo, maybe later I'll be able to buy a house in the area", he replied.

Vera gave him a wan smile. It is probably one of those ugly concrete houses Americans like so much. And a condo, that won't be big enough for everyone, she thought in disgust.

The plane touched down and the trio disembarked fifteen minutes later, Jaromir leading them towards a tall handsome middle-aged man in an impeccably tailored suit. "Welcome back to Pittsburgh, Jaromir", said the man as they shook hands.

"Thank you, Mario. This is my girlfriend Vera and my daughter Jelena. Ladies is this is my new boss, old teammate and all-around legend Mario Lemieux", said Jaromir.

Jelena tried not to look awed as she shook his hand, Vera quickly showing a flash of interest that was quickly subdued. "Jaromir, I didn't know you had a daughter", said Mario as the group went to get their bags.

"It's a long story, Mario", he chuckled.

"That is the best sort, mon frere petit. Your condo building is in Sewickley just a few streets away from our house. Speaking of which, I've invited Sid and Evgeni over for dinner, would you like to join us?", asked Mario.

"Okay, but the ladies are going to get ready first", said Jaromir.

"Of course, my driver will take you to your condo and then I will pick you up later", said Mario.

Jelena took the bags from the conveyor belt and placed them on a cart, knowing the rest of their things were at the condo. I hope I got something good to wear, she fretted.

"You have better dress nice, I won't have you embarrassing us", hissed Vera.

Jelena gave the other woman a challenging look, standing up to her full height and a flash of pride in her blue eyes. "And you have better keep you eyes on my dad and not Sid", she replied, her voice dripping with honeyed sarcasm.

Vera flushed pink but composed herself when Jaromir turned to face her, letting him take her hand as they walked outside. A black BMW with tinted windows stood at the curb with a liveried driver holding open the door, nodding slightly when he saw Mario. "Where to, Mr. Lemieux?", he asked.

"The Shady Brook Condos in Sewickley", he told the driver.

Jelena sank back into the leather-covered seat and adjusted her seat belt as the driver pulled away from the curb. The airport was quickly left behind and the city looked ahead in the distance, skyscrapers silhouetted against a brilliant early fall sky and glimpses of the three rivers that encircled the city gradually appearing. I'm going back to Sewickley, but now with Dad. I grew up here and I had no idea my dad was famous, she thought as a chuckle threatened to escape.

The familiar streets of Sewickley appeared outside the windows, Jelena seeing the large red brick house where she had grown up with her guardian and Jaromir's uncle Miroslav. She frowned when she saw the Foreclosed sign on the front lawn and the house looking as though no one had lived there for a while. Miroslav is lucky he sold the house and moved to Florida, I can't imagine anyone else living here, she mused.

"I know, that was Miroslav's house", said Jaromir.

"How did you know?", she asked.

"I looked through his wallet and saw the address on a business card, I used to drive by after games and see if the lights were on", he murmured, a sad look in his blue eyes.

Vera rolled her eyes and frowned at their exchange, something that did not go unnoticed by Mario. The tension in the car was palpable and it was with relief that the BMW stopped in front of an upscale condo development as the driver pressed a code into the gate drive inside. It consisted of three three-story high buildings facing a courtyard which contained a parking lot framed by manicured bushes, a carefully cultivated flower garden with the last of the autumn flowers still in bloom. Inside the main floor of the center building was the manager's office, heated indoor swimming pool and gym, available to all the tenants.

"Here are the keys, you are in #304 in the C building which is the one to the right. See you later, everyone. Au revoir", said Mario.

"Au revoir, monsieur Lemieux", said Jelena politely.

"You ladies rest up, I'll unpack what we need", said Jaromir.

The condo was on the third floor of the building with a balcony that overlooked the shaded woods on the opposite side of the parking lot. It was recently cleaned and done in muted beige for the walls and a gray carpet on the floor, watercolor painting of seascapes hanging on the walls. The parlor contained a black leather sofa and a matching love seat facing a wall-mounted plasma TV with the sound system and DVD player hooked up. Jelena was relieved to see that her room was on the opposite side from her father's, seeing her bags on the floor. At least I won't have to hear them going at it, she thought with a shudder.

She took off her shoes and flopped down on the bed, looking about curiously. The room was the smaller of the two in the condo, the decor in muted shades of pale sky blue and pale peach that complimented each other nicely. The bed was a queen-size with sturdy peach cloth canopy over it, the furniture all made of dark cherry wood that gleamed with reddish highlights from a recent waxing.

This is really nice, I ought to rest up and do some decorating, she thought as she fell asleep.