Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 10: Missile Kid

Three hours went by. Then four. Then five. As the Killjoys discuss their plans for saving Missile Kid, I kept thinking to myself: How the heck did we get pulled into this? I honestly want to help them, but I have no idea who they are trying to save. And as the time goes by, I find it getting harder and harder to convince myself this nameless girl is worth saving.

We drive for a bit longer before Party Poison pipes up.

“We’re getting close to Zone 2. Everyone get ready.”

I zipped by bag closed and pull it up into my lap. I look up and eagerly wait for our arrival. We pull up to a small shack on the outskirts of the Zone. Fist parks the car and shoves the keys into her pocket. Poison hops out and starts making his way toward to shack. We all follow.

“Well, well, well… Look what the cat dragged in,” A familiar voice sounded.

“Dr. Death-Defying?” Fist says and looks up at the man in wonder.

“The one and only.” He says and smiles. Dr. D turns to Party Poison. “Who are these motor babies?”

Party looked back and us and said, “Fellow Killjoys.” I glance at Fist, who is beaming.

Poison turned back to Dr. D. “They’re gonna help us get Missile Kid back.” The man’s smile instantly faded.

“Now, you know this is dangerous,” says Dr. D. “Completely insane. And there is no guarantee you’ll live.”

“We know,” says Party Poison. “But it’s worth the risk.”

“This girl really means this much to you?” Dr. D asks.

The Killjoys all nod.

“Well, then. Here’s the plan.”

~#~

After discussing what we were going to do tomorrow evening to save Missile Kid, we all huddled around a small coffee table eating Power Pup for dinner. Not my favorite, but I’m used to it by now. I can tell by the tension still lingering in the air that everyone was nervous for tomorrow’s success. The Killjoys were trying to make up for it by cracking jokes and telling stories, but I could see right through it. They were scared. We all were.

After dinner, we all gathered into the recording room to watch Dr. D do his show. We all laughed and sang along to the songs we knew. This was by far the most fun we’ve had all day. Even Kobra, poker face and all, was enjoying the relief.

By the time he was done, it was around two in the morning. Violence, Fist, and I crashed in the living room floor. We were all exhausted from our long journey, and fall asleep right away.

~#~

We all woke up around noon. Another can of Power Pup for lunch. Soon, we would have to assemble to go fight an army of Draculoids at their own headquarters. No one said a word about it, though. We were all too paranoid.

Fist and I play cards on the floor in the living room while the Killjoys begin teaching Violence how to shoot backwards. An hour goes by. I start on a book I found in the shack, Fist and Vi are playing cards now, and the Killjoys are helping Dr. D broadcast. Another hour goes by. I sit on the floor, humming quietly to myself as Fist and Violence argue about something. The Killjoys and Dr. D are in the other room discussing more plans. The final hour goes by.

Just like that, three hour slip by in a second. We all face the realization that it is time to put our feeble plan into action. We gather around in the living room, ready for what is about to come.

“You all know the plan,” says Party Poison in a despondent tone. I nod slowly, remembering my role in the operation.

“So, I guess this is it, then.” I finally say after a moment of silence. “We may never see you guys again.” I can hear my voice breaking. I clear my throat to hide the emotion. Poison hears it. He looks at me with calculating eyes.

“Thank you, Dagger.” He says. “Thank you for taking us here, for letting us stay, and for saving our lives so we can go out and risk it again. You, Fist, and Violence will always be Killjoys.” He hugs us each and leads the other Killjoys out the door and into their Trans Am.

~#~

We were situated in the van, two blocks away from BLI Headquarters. Right now, the Killjoys are inside. Once we see them coming out of the building, we pull up to the block, get Missile Kid and the Killjoys and drive away. Or, at least, that is the plan. I glance out the passenger window stretching to see if the Killjoys are there or not.

I see two figures racing outside of the building. Jet Star and Missile Kid. Where are the others?

“I see them coming out!” I yell. “We have to go!”

Fist puts the car in gear and speeds towards BLI headquarters. I see Jet collapse onto the pavement. No. It can’t be. Dr. D opens the door and grabs Missile Kid from the curb. Violence slams the door shut, and the van races away, headed to Benvolio’s Goat.

“Kid, what happened?” asked Dr. D in a kind voice.

“They… they’re dead,” she says in a quietly. “Every single one of them.” Everyone is silent.

I turn to face the window. I will keep running. I will keep fighting. I will keep surviving. Although you’re dead and gone, believe me, your memory will carry on. With me, Fist, Violence, and any other Killjoy out there. Your memory will carry on.

THE END
♠ ♠ ♠
And so, there my friends was my first ever fanfiction. I wrote it a while ago last summer, but have only ever uploaded it to Wattpad. So, I decided to put it on here, just as a: "Hi this is what I write like!" Kind of thing. Hope you guys like it. ^_^