Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 2: Benvolio's Goat

“The Killjoys?” I blurted out. The Killjoys. Holy crap. I am talking to the Killjoys.

“Yes,” the one in the yellow t-shirt replied. “You’ve heard of us?”

“Uh- yeah,” I say in shock.

“This isn’t good,” the curly haired one told Party Poison. “If she knows, it’s likely others do too.”

“How did you find out?” Party Poison asked me.

“Well… Me and my friends found a stray radio station while looking for shelter. It turned out to be by some rebel called Doctor Death-Defying. That’s where we found out about you guys. We’ve been using the information to find food and stuff.” I replied.

The one in the red jacket drew his gun and aimed at me. “She’s the little weasel that’s been stealing all of our supplies,” He spat.

“Kobra, calm down,” Party Poison says. “She’s hardly a threat.”

Kobra rolled his eyes and reluctantly put the gun away.

“Now, we don’t mean any harm,” says Party Poison as he walks over to me. “We just need a place to stay for the night.”

I looked back and forth between the Killjoys. “I- I don’t know.” I say nervously. Fist is definitely going to kill me. “Uh, I guess you can stay just for one night. But my roommates might not like it.”

“You heard her boys,” Party Poison started, “mind your manners.”

I turn towards the bungalow door and open it. It seemed like there was no choice but let the Killjoys stay here. We were using their supplies after all.

“Great, thank you!” says the one in yellow. He turns to me and shakes my hand. “I’m Fun Ghoul.”

“Jet Star.” Says the curly haired one. “And that’s Kobra Kid.” Jet Star points as Kobra strode into the hideout. He seems nice.

I followed Jet and Ghoul into the Goat and bolted the door.

“Welcome to Benvolio’s Goat.” I say and gesture at the hideout. It used to be a firehouse before BLI took over. Though, Korse hadn’t gotten to this side of the Zone before the acid rain hit. Fist, Violence, and I took this place over and fixed it up. Well, as much as we could with the minimal supplies. The floors were still gutted and concrete, the paint on the outside was still peeling, and the furniture was practically falling apart. But it was our home and we love it as much as any other.

“So… how did you find this place?” Poison asks as he strolls into the den. The others join him.

I follow and reply, “It’s a long story.”

“Good thing we love stories.” Fun Ghoul says as he drops on the couch.

“Yeah, go ahead.” Jet Star replies and sits with him.

Soon, all of the Killjoys were sitting on my couch.

“Well,” I say tentatively. “Like I said, we escaped the city months ago. I hardly remember what happened, though.” I pause and let out a short laugh. “Medication.” The Killjoys nod in acknowledgement. They know the effects of BLI.

“The last thing I remember is my friend Atomic Violence and I wandering outside of the city just to be scooped up and driven off in a van. However, the rebels driving it ended up getting caught… Dusted out on Route Guano. We were out cold in the trunk, so no one found us until later that day. Fist Kiss, who escaped the city by herself a few weeks before, stumbled upon the abandoned van and started driving off with us in it. Needless to say, we weren’t spending the rest of the drive in the trunk.”

Just as I finished the sentence, I heard the soft hum of an engine pulling up toward the Goat. Oh crap. The car doors open and slam shut abruptly.

“What’s wrong?” Party Poison asks me as I get up and race for the door.

Too late. Fist Kiss and Atomic Violence burst open the bungalow door with guns raised.