Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 3: Fist Kiss

“Don’t. Move. A muscle.” Fist says as she aims her gun at Party Poison.

“Fist-” I start but she pushes me away.

“Who are these guys?” Violence asks me as she begins to follow Fist.

“Oh no. You are not going anywhere.” I tell her. “Put the gun away and follow me.”

I sprint into the den to find Fist Kiss mid-somersault with gun drawn at the Killjoys.

“Fist will you just listen to me?” I yell.

She gets up from her low crouch. “What is there to listen to? I told you to let no one into the house. No one.”

I sigh.

“Killjoys,” I gesture towards the men on the couch, “meet my roommate Fist Kiss.” Fist immediately puts her gun away. She grabs my arm and gives me a frantic look.

“Hi!” Ghoul says as he grins and waves awkwardly in Fist’s direction. The rest of the Killjoys burst out in laughter along with Violence, who is doubled over in the doorway. Fist just stares at me blankly.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” She whispers to me while the Killjoys continue their laugh-fest.

“I tried, but you pushed me out of the way.” I whispered back. I looked back at Atomic Violence who is still laughing along with the group. “At least Violence is enjoying this.”

“Yeah,” Fist muttered. “Freaking awesome.”

As the laughter dies down, Violence makes her way over to living room.

“So, what are you guys even doing here?” She asks.

The Killjoys look sobered by the question. Party Poison glances at the others and then begins.

“About a week ago, we faced Korse with a pack of Dracs. He captured Missile Kid and left us stranded out in Zone 6. We are traveling to Battery City to get her back.” He says and looks up at me. “Dagger here says we can stay here for the night. Well… if that isn’t a problem with you two.”

Fist finally comes to her senses. “Oh, no! It’s fine. Totally fine,” She says eagerly while nodding for emphasis.

“Great, then, it’s settled.” I say to break the awkward pause. “Fist, come with me to unload the van. Violence, go ahead and give them a tour of the place.” I nod towards the Killjoys. Awesome. That’ll buy us some time. We left Violence alone to handle the Killjoys as Fist Kiss and I make our way out to the van.

Once we were safely outside, Fist turns to me and says, “The Killjoys! They are in our house. Dagger, this is insane.”

Fist Kiss has a history with the Killjoys. When she was young, her house in Battery City caught on fire. Her family didn’t make it, but thankfully, the Killjoys happened to stumble upon the scene and save Fist. Ever since, she’s looked up to them as if they were her unsung heroes.

I smile and make my way over to the van.

“Isn’t it?” I reply. I tug open the doors of the trunk and begin piling crates into my arms.

“Oh God,” Fist says as she follows my lead. “They probably think I’m insane.”

“Not at all,” says a voice from behind.

I turn around and nearly drop everything out of surprise. I peek out from the large stack of crates I am carrying. Sure enough, Kobra Kid was standing right in front of us.

“You’re actually pretty cool.” He pauses and laughs. “And those ninja moves… Awesome.” He smiles and makes a thumbs-up sign towards Fist. Kobra looks back and forth between the two of us.

“You need some help with those?” He asks and lifts the boxes from my hands.

“Thanks,” I say and turn back towards the van. I grabbed the remaining few crates and nodded at Fist who is severely blushing. She closes the trunk and begins leading us back to the bungalow.