Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 5: They're Behind Us

I flicked on the flashlight and sprinted back to the room.

“Get up! Get up right now!” I yell. I frantically rip the covers off of Violence and Fist.

“Hmmm… Whaaaat?” Violence asked in a tired voice.

“Violence, this is not the time. There’s a BLI car headed towards the Goat. We have to go, now.” I snap. We have no time to waste.

I grab the emergency duffel bag I keep under the bed, and stuff a tank top and jean shorts into the mix. I pull on my brown leather jacket over my pajamas and strap on my ray gun holster. I turn to Fist and Violence. They are frantically doing the same.

I dash out of the room and run across the hallway to warn the Killjoys. I burst into the first room and shine the flashlight around. Thank goodness. Party Poison.

I walk over to his bed and shake his arm. His eyes flutter open.

“Party, there’s an emergency. A BLI car is heading this way. It can’t belong until they arrive here. We have to leave now.” I say frantically. He takes a minute to process what I just told him. He jumps out of bed and shakes Kobra Kid awake. As Kobra rubs his eyes and sluggishly gets up, Poison runs over to the other room to get the other Killjoys.

“Grab your gun and follow me. We have to go.” I say and take Kobra by the wrist as I lead him down to the van. I am filled with relief to see that Fist had already started the van. I jerked open the door and climb inside the back. I gesture for Kobra to do the same. He slides in next to me without saying a word. I glide the duffel off my shoulder and turned off the flashlight.

“Now, how far away were they?” Fist asks.

“About two or three miles. I could see them from the balcony.” I replied.

“Crap.” Fist says. “We don’t have long.”

I look up to see Party Poison dragging Jet Star and Fun Ghoul along to the van. They squish into the middle row as Party walks around to the front seat.

“Can I drive?” He asks Fist. She nods avidly and crawls into the middle. Once there, she slams the door shut and Party Poison takes off. No one says a word.

“Where are we going?” I ask Poison.

“Zone 2. Then Battery City.” He replies. “We have to rescue Missile Kid, there is no other way.”

“God, right now Party? Can’t we just-” Ghoul starts, but Party Poison cuts him off.

“We’ve lost so many already.” He turns to Fun Ghoul. “We can’t lose her too.” Ghoul gets quiet.

“There they are!” I shout and point at the car through the trees. It is blazing through the desert, getting closer and closer to the Goat. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. It’s gone now. I turn to Kobra Kid. My eyes widen as I do.

“What’s wrong?” He asks.

“It’s behind us.”

And with that, Party Poison swears and slams on the gas.