Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 6: Vroom Vroom

“Hold on,” He says and suddenly jerks the van sharply left.

I completely flail out of my seat and crash into Kobra.

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry.” I say and try to pull myself back to my seat, but Poison jerks left once again. This time, my head slams into the side of the van.

“Owwww!” I subconsciously say, rubbing my aching head.

“God, Dagger!” Party says and straightens his path out.

“I’m sorry!” I say back as I get back in my seat and buckle the seat belt.

Poison makes his series of loops and jerks as we drive through the desert. I look out the window. The car was gaining on us.

“Poison. They’re getting closer,” Kobra says before I can.

Poison swears again and makes another loop. The car is even closer than before. This is it.

“Poison,” Kobra warns again. The van makes another series of jerks and twists through the desert. The car is close enough to-

BANG. A laser comes through the back windshield. They’re shooting. Kobra pushes me down to duck under the back of the seat. The others do the same. BANG.

Another laser flies by, even closer than the time before.

“We’re running out of gas,” Violence frantically admits.

I rack my brain for a solution. I look out my side window as we pass an old highway sign.

“Party Poison!” I yell. BANG. “Turn off the headlights!”

“What, are you crazy?” Poison yells back. BANG. “We’ll crash.”

“Trust me!” I plead. We pass another highway sign. BANG. “Please!”

This time, he listens. Poison turns off the headlights and continues forward.

“Okay! Now, when we hit a large bump, turn left. Hard. We won’t have very long.” I yell once again. The lasers have stopped flying. Thank goodness.

“You are not making any sense!” Poison yells back at me.

“Please, just listen to me!” I reply back.

The car flies over a huge obstacle.

“NOW!” I say, and pray that we make it. The van screeches as it jerks left. I am thrown to the right once again. We finally come to a stop. I lift my head and turn to see if the car is behind us. I look to find that the BLI car is mangled and crashed into the concrete highway median.

“What-” Violence starts, but I interrupt.

“I’ll explain later. Right now, drive.”

Party Poison steps on the gas.