Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 8: Power Pup

“Okay, wake ‘em up,” says Party Poison. “We’re almost there.” He reaches over and shakes Violence’s arm. She groans and reluctantly gets up.

“Fist,” I say as I reach over the seat to wake up my friend. She bolts up before I can even touch her. That went well. I sink back into my seat and get ready to get out. I sling my bag over my shoulder and place the book inside.

We pull up to an old restaurant soon after. Everybody exits the van and enters the building as Party Poison goes to park the van out back.

The Killjoys slide into a booth while Fist, Violence, and I sit at a table nearby. Poison soon strides in and sits with his friends.

“So,” Violence begins. “What is this place?”

“Only the best restaurant out in the Zones,” replies Ghoul. The Killjoys laugh and get up to go behind the counter. They each come out carrying various BLI brand food cans and spoons. The quad sets the contents down on the table and begins opening the cans.

“Eat up,” says Poison as he grabs one for himself. Fist shrugs and hands a can to each of us. I jerk it open, reach for a spoon, and begin eating what I could only hope is chili. It actually isn’t half bad. Well, that was until Violence said something about it.

“Is this dog food?” she asks while studying the label. I nearly choke on the bite of it that was in my mouth.

“Dog food?” I say and slowly swallow. “We’re eating dog food?”

“Yeah,” says Ghoul as he holds up his can. “Power Pup.”

I set down my half-finished can and push it into the middle of the table.

“Yeah, I’m not so hungry anymore.” I say as I slide my bag across my shoulder and get up out of my seat. “I’ll be right back.” I slip out the back exit and climb into the now abandoned van. Finally, I can get out of these pajamas. I trade my blue striped pajamas for floral denim shorts and a white tank top. Then, I climb up into the front of the van to get a glimpse at my reflection. My hair is now the ruin of what used to be a ponytail, my eyes are bloodshot, and my lips are way beyond chapped.

“Wow,” I sarcastically say to myself after studying my reflection. “I look awesome.” I reach back into my bag, pull out a worn brush, and reassemble my hair into a messy bun. There. Much better. I put my pajamas and brush back into the duffel and zip it up.

As I walk back from the van, I notice something rustling in the bushes nearby. I pull out my gun and begin backing slowly toward the restaurant. The rustling began again. This time, I see a small burst of white coming out from the other side of the plant. Draculoid. I approach the bush slowly and cautiously, making sure that the Drac couldn’t see me. I squat near a tree and aim my gun at its head. BANG. The Draculoid slumps over in the shrubbery. I suddenly remembered some advice Fist had given me when we first met. If there’s one, there’s a ton…I get up and start sprinting to the restaurant.