Happy Dagger and the Fabulous Killjoys

Chapter 9: Never Saw It Coming

I burst through the door and run up to the Killjoys table.

“I spotted a Drac outside behind the bushes,” I say to them. “He wasn’t hiding very well, and I kind of shot him. His buddies are probably going to be here any minute.”

“Dang it, Dagger!” says Poison. “Why do you always have to find trouble?”

“I don’t know, I swear!” I reply. “It just finds me, I guess.”

The Killjoys draw their guns and start racing to the van. Violence and Fist do the same. After a brief negotiation, Fist decided she’d drive while Poison sits in the passenger seat. This time, I am joined in the back by Violence.

“You changed?” She asks as she climbs into the seat.

“Yeah,” I tell her. “I packed some extra clothes before we left.”

Fist starts the car and slowly takes off towards the highway.

“Lucky,” mutters Violence. “I’m stuck in this.” She gestures to her bright orange sweatpants and black V-neck.

“Hey,” I reply. “Better than Fist. She’s in penguin pajamas.” This earns a laugh from Vi.

“I heard that,” says Fist as she gives me a glare from the front seat. We both laugh even harder. Fist just continues driving. Violence turns to look out the window.

“Guys,” she says. “We’ve got company.” There was Drac standing to the side of us, carrying two guns pointed at the van. Fist Kiss just continues driving at the same rate.

“Fist,” I warn.

“What?” She replies. “I can’t go any faster. We need to find gas.”

“There’s a gas station about a mile or two from here,” says Jet Star.

We continue on the highway at this achingly slow pace until we reach the gas station. Fist hops out and starts filling up the tank. Come on, come on.

I have the feeling that the Dracs we saw weren’t giving up without a fight. Sure enough, I spot a small black BLI car heading our way. I pound on the window and frantically point to the car. Fist finally sees it, and quickly finishes filling the tank. She slides in to the front seat, puts the van in gear, and jets off toward the highway. The car follows close behind us.

“Where’s our Trans Am when we need it?” mutters Party Poison as he twists around to get a better view of the Dracs.

“Zone 2,” says Kobra. “Where we left it.”

I look over to Violence who is studying the car through the cracked windshield. I could tell she is formulating a plan.

“Their passenger window is down.” She says and turns to me.

“Okay,” I respond. “And why is that relevant?”

“Because I bet we could hit ‘em.” Violence explains.

I turn to my window and push it open. Here we go. Violence instructs Fist to slow down and get as close as possible to the car. After further debate, Fist complies. Vi and I agree that I should shoot the passenger while she aims for the driver. Hopefully, the car would crash and we could make a clean getaway.

Fist slows the van and lets the car gain on us. She pulls up very close to the side where the window is open. Violence leans over my back and aims. I do the same. BANG. They never saw it coming. As the Draculoid in the passenger seat slumps over, Violence targets the one driving. BANG. He dies just as he was reaching for his gun. Fist speeds away from the car, just before it could crash into us. The car veers off into the side of the highway, never to be seen again.