Just a Kiss

Episode Two: A Charming Young Man

“I’m home!” Julie announced as she opened the front door of her house. She stripped off her school jacket and hung it before walking into the kitchen. There, she found her dad busy cooking away.

“Oooh, what’s the occasion?” Julie smiled as she leaned on the kitchen counter—her eyes gazing down at the food.

“No eating before dinner,” her dad smiled as Julie reached for a small piece of garnished chicken breast. “Your mom has some friends coming over.” He then glanced up at Julie and said, “Apparently they have a son—”

“Dad!” Julie laughed as she pushed herself off the counter. “Is this another attempt by the two of you to keep me from going to—!”

“Ah! No!” her dad smiled as he raised his hand. “Don’t—don’t say it.”

Julie smiled brightly. “Just because I don’t say it doesn’t mean it won’t happen,” she sang. “Beside wouldn’t you rather enjoy these next few weeks together than stressing about this unspoken ordeal?”

“Your mother and I want to spend more than a week with you, honey,” Dad said while looking sternly at me. “And that is why this boy is coming over.”

“DAD!” I exclaimed.

“Now, go on. Go change,” Dad chuckled as he returned to his work.

“You know,” Julie said as she began walking away, “most fathers don’t want their daughter to have a boyfriend.”

“Most fathers don’t want their daughter going off to—” Dad stopped and glared at Julie. “Almost got me there,” he smiled with narrow eyes.

Julie simply shrugged her shoulders before leaving the kitchen. A smile remained on her face as she reached into her schoolbag for her phone. She had to tell Valarie, Brooke and Adriana about the new scheme her parents her parents had come up with.

“That’s weird,” she whispered while stopping in the middle of the hallway. She felt around the base of her bag for her phone, but it wasn’t there. Julie quickly walked over to her jacket that was hanging up and felt both pockets. Her phone wasn’t there either.

“What are you doing?” her father asked as he passed the kitchen entrance. “Go change.”

“I’m looking for my phone,” Julie replied.

“Just call it,” her dad replied. “But hurry. Your mom’s friends are supposed to be here by 5:30.”

Julie walked into the living room and dialed her mobile number. She then began to walk around the first floor listening for her phone.

“Hello?” a voice suddenly rang in Julie’s ear.

“O—oh! Hello?” Julie replied. “Hi, my name is Julie. I—I think you have my phone,” she explained.

“Julie!” the person on the other line exclaimed. “It’s Blaine,” Blaine reminded while he closed the textbook he was just reading.

“Oh, the guy from the coffee place, right?” Julie recalled with a wide smile.

“Yeah,” Blaine replied as he stood and nervously paced around his room. A smile couldn’t help but form on his face, knowing she remembered him—even if it’s only been a hour or so since they met. “I found your phone right after you left and tried to get it back, but you left in too much of a hurry.”

Julie smiled as she walked into the kitchen and took a seat at the dining table. “Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I was in a bit of a hurry to get home. Didn’t want Tom seeing me,” Julie said as she glanced up and found her dad looking at her. There was a large smile on his face as he mouthed, “Is that a boy?” Julie grinned while rolling her eyes before asking, “So, do you think we could meet somewhere so I can get my phone back?”

“Of course!” Blaine quickly replied—maybe a little too quickly. “Um…I mean, I’m at home right now, but just tell me where you want to meet and I’ll be there.”

“Cool. How about later tonight—”

“Julie,” her dad suddenly interrupted, “you can get your phone tomorrow. You need to go change.”

“Oh, right,” Julie said remembering they were going to have guests. “Um…hey Blaine, do you think you can hold onto my phone until tomorrow? I, unfortunately, won’t be able to pick it up tonight.”

“Oh—oh yeah, of course,” said Blaine. “When are you free tomorrow? Do you want to meet at Lima Bean again?”

“Actually, I was hoping to get it before I went to school. Is it possible for me to grab my phone before then?”

“Well, if you want, you could always grab it on your way to school or something. You go to Melrose Academe, right?” Blaine question—though he knew the answer to that already. He saw it on her jacket.

The smile on Julie’s face widened. “Yeah, I do.”

“Well, I go to McKinley High, which isn’t too far from Melrose. If you want, you could stop by on your way to school. We have a Glee rehearsal tomorrow morning, so I’ll be there early,” Blaine suggested.

“Okay, that sounds great,” Julie replied, making Blaine’s nervous pacing finally come to a stop. “Where will I be able to find you?”

“In the choir room,” Blaine managed to reply.

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“All right. See you tomorrow,” Blaine said before bidding his goodbye. As he hung up the phone, he slowly sank back into the chair he was sitting in earlier. There was a strange sensation overcoming him…and for some reason, he couldn’t stop smiling.

As Julie hung up the phone, a smile remained on her face. As she got up to leave the kitchen, her eyes met her father’s—who had a wide grin printed on his face.

“What?” she asked.

“You like that boy,” her dad said with satisfaction. “So, what’s his name?”

Julie smiled and shook her head. “It’s not like that, Dad. I just met Blaine today.”

“So his name is Blaine,” her dad repeated with nodding approvingly. “Maybe you should call him back and invite him to—”

“DAD!” Julie exclaimed. “I’m going to change now,” she laughed as she turned her heels and left the room. But Julie had to admit, the thought of seeing Blaine tomorrow make her heart beat uncontrollably in her chest.