Status: One-Shot

Christmas Cooking

I/I

Hana knocked at the door and waited, melted snow dripping from her hair and coat. She rubbed her hands together to warm them from the winter chill outside. The door opened a crack and Ryeowook stuck his head out, a wave of relief coming over his face.

“I thought you'd flown home already,” he said, opening the door farther for Hana to step in.

The girl shook her head and removed her coat. “I'm leaving tomorrow. I thought I'd come say goodbye.”

Ryeowook smiled shyly, like he always did when she spoke to him. “Thanks, I—”

A dinging went off inside the apartment and Ryeowook hurried out of sight without explanation. Hana arched an eyebrow and shrugged. Removing her shoes, she walked in after him. Coming around the corner, she found the source of the boy's distraction. The kitchen looked to have exploded in a combustion of dishes and pans. Wook was hurrying about, removing a pan of food from the oven to replace it with another.

“What are you doing?” asked the young girl.

“I'm trying to make Christmas dinner before everyone gets back,” he replied. “I played sick this morning so they'd leave me alone.” There was a hint of exasperation in his voice and Hana could only imagine what it must be like sharing a dorm with twelve other boys. “I'm hoping to get a batch of cookies for each of them done too.”

Hana looked around at the mess and then at Ryeowook hurrying around. “I can help you, you know...”

He finished putting something on the stove and slouched against the counter. “Would you?” he asked, trying to hide the hope threatening to escape from his voice.

Hana beamed. “I'd be more than happy to!”

Ryeowook's face mirrored hers and he handed her ingredients to get started on the cookies, while he finished with the duck.

A routine of sorts started between the two as they began to cook for the twelve boys out running the streets of Seoul. The warm smells of Christmas cooking began to waft through the dorm. Hana was in awe at the amount of work Ryeowook was putting into the dinner. He was chatting happily away, her presence seeming to ease his mind some.

Hana had found him her favorite amongst the thirteen boys for some time. She'd met them through Kibum, her good friend when he'd lived in the United States. Finishing high school in America, Hana decided to return to the home of her family and go to college in Seoul, where she met up with Kibum again. Which resulted in her now hopeless crush on Ryeowook that everyone else seemed to know about, but him.

Hana's dark eyes strayed to the boy standing next to her, studying from under long eyelashes. His sweet personality was at its finest when it came to the other members; he was always ready to make them feel better. The selflessness and care he showed was what Hana loved most about him. Making a Christmas dinner before they took their separate ways for the season was so nerve-wracking, but he was pushing that all aside to do it for his brothers.

“This is really nice was you're doing, Wook,” she said, moving by him to take a batch of cookies from the oven.

“We've had a stressful year,” he explained. “I figured this would ease some of it.”

“Not for you though.”

Ryeowook shrugged, smiling to himself. “I like to cook,” was his explanation.

“Obviously,” Hana laughed, casting her eyes over the mess. Ryeowook smiled at her, which she returned. Grabbing a handful of flour, she tossed it at him and caked his hair in white. Ryeowook dusted at his hair and gave her a playful glare. Then, he snatched his own handful and threw. Soon enough, flour was sprayed across the floor and counter tops, along with the two laughing perpetrators.

Ryeowook shook his hair, sending a cloud of white into the air. Hana giggled, dusting her hands off proudly. “Looks like I win.”

“You should see yourself,” Ryeowook countered. He looked up at the clock and his eyes widened. Hana followed his gaze. “Aish, we've got twenty minutes!”

The two began scrambling around the kitchen again, removing food from the stove and oven, finishing the preparations, and setting the table.

Duck, Kimchi fried rice, fried fish, dak galbi, seasoned rice, and steamed vegetables began to ascend upon the table. Fresh cookies were left in the oven to stay warm. Evidence of the flour fight began to slowly disappear as it was swept from the floor and scrubbed off the counter.

After the last dish was set in the cupboard, the two collapsed in a heap on the couch, the food lay steaming and awaiting to be eaten.

Hana exhaled loudly and very discreetly laid her head on Wook's shoulder. “This was fun.”

Ryeowook chuckled, a twinge of nervousness lay there. “Really? I'm sure you had better stuff to do.”

The girl scrunched up her nose. “Not really. I'm not leaving for the U.S. until tomorrow,” she reminded him.

“Thank you,” he said. “I wouldn't have gotten it done without you.”

Hana turned her head to prop her chin on his shoulder and smiled. “You're welcome,” she replied, pretending not to notice the slight color in Ryeowook's cheeks.

The door opened and an uproar erupted inside the dorm as twelve, rambunctious boys crowded in. Sungmin was the first one in and seeing the set table, his jaw dropped. He looked at the two on the couch, then, at the food before running to his seat at the table. The others let out shouts and quickly took their seats.

The two at the couch got to their feet. “You better eat before they take it all,” said Hana. “I better go.”

As she turned to leave, Ryeowook grabbed her hand. “There's fourteen places to sit,” he pointed out. “You really should eat the food you helped make.”

Hana's lips parted in a grin. “I guess I could stay...”

“Hana! Ryeowook! Quit staring at each other and come eat!” Donghae shouted over the chaos.

Two flushed faces glared at him in answer. Hana realized her hand was still in his and her cheeks turned brighter. Ryeowook led her over to a chair and sat next to her. Hana looked at all the grinning boys stuffing their faces and smiled to herself.

Ryeowook was dishing himself vegetables when she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “Merry Christmas,” she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Because you posted mine already, I decided to give you yours! :)
Merry Christmas!