Status: complete. click ahead for the final chapters.

I Don't Do Lonely Well

life of the party.

“I got the job,” I tell Alex.
“Babe, that’s awesome!” he congratulates excitedly.
I shrug as if he can see me do it through the phone. “Yeah, I guess I’m happy.”
“You don’t sound like it.”
I sigh. “I just don’t really want to live back here again. I had my heart set on Dulaney, and I guess there were just other plans for me, you know?”
“We’re going to make it work, Virginia,” Alex assures. “I don’t care who or what gets in our way, I don’t care about the distance between us. I love you, and I’ll do anything in my power to make this work.”
I smile to myself as I get back into my mom’s car. “You always know exactly what to say.”
We talk until I arrive back at Mom’s apartment where I tell him I love him and that I’ll see him in a few days.

My jaw basically hits the floor, and I can’t decide what to make of the situation. “What? It’s not that bad, okay?” Alex justifies.
Laughter over takes my body. I’m on my knees, clutching my aching sides in seconds. “I’m dating an asshole! Oh my god!” Alex runs a hand through his highlighter pink hair with a pout. “What the hell happened in the four days I was gone?”
“I lost a bet with your brother and Jack. Loser dyed their hair pink…I lost.” There are tears pouring down my face from laughing so hard now, and Alex just stands there and stares at me. “Are you done?”
“It’s pink!”
He sighs and does just what I do to him when he’s kneeling on the ground for something. Just pushes me over with a laugh and walks away.
“Hey! Rude!” I rush after him, following him into the bathroom and tackling him onto our bed.
In the middle of the fall, he manages to wrap his arm around my waist and pull me in front of him so that he lands on top of me.
“You planned this,” I accuse.
“Forgive me for not seeing my girlfriend in four days.” He pecks my lips.
“Where’s Cody?”
“At band practice.”

I tug Alex’s beanie over my head and exit the bus. The morning chill sends goose bumps down my arms as I head to breakfast. Cody is sitting with his band, Jack with some people I don’t know, and Alex with a band I was introduced to last night as We the Kings. I fill my plate with two pancakes, a few pieces of bacon, and a small pile of eggs before taking a seat next to Alex.
“Morning,” he greets.
“Morning, babe.”
“Feeling alright?” I nod and scoop a mouthful of eggs up.
“Hey, you were a champ last night,” Travis chimes in.
Alex lets out a laugh. “Fucking tequila,” I mutter.
“And there she is. Still drunk,” Alex laughs. He presses his lips to the side of my head. “Is that my beanie?”
“You bet your ass it is.” My lips pull into a smile as I scoot closer to him, plucking up his last piece of bacon and eating.
He playfully glares. “That was necessary?”
“Absolutely.” I turn back to the fiery-headed man across the table. “So, you guys are from Florida, right?”
He nods. “Bradenton. And Alex said you’re from LA?”
“Yeah. So glad I left.”
“But you’re moving back?” I nod and shrug at the same time.
“I took a job there, but I’m still applying for more in the Baltimore area. I’d kind of like to stay as close as possible.”
“Aw, look at that,” he teases, reaching across the table to push Alex’s shoulder.
“I’m going to get some more food,” Alex interrupts. “Considering someone ate all my bacon.” I smile sheepishly.
“Can you pretty please bring me back some coffee?”
“Yeah, 2 creams, 3 sugars?”
“You’re the best.” He smiles at I watch him walk over to the table before turning my attention back to Travis.
“You know, I’ve known him for a good number of years, and I’m not sure that I’ve seen him this happy before,” Travis speculates. “I mean, I knew Danielle—mainly because she hung around the first Warped we played with All Time Low, but he’s, like, genuinely happy with you.”
I feel my lips tug into another smile. “Thanks! I’m definitely head over heels for that boy.” I glance behind me again as Alex greets another one of his friends.
“I can tell.” Travis’s voice rings with laughter. “You only told me a few times last night.” I feel my eyebrows rise. “I am so in love with this man,” Travis mimics, causing laughter from the rest of his band mates. “Someday I’m going to marry this man.”
“We’re making fun of Virginia? Can we talk about when she fell off of the table?” Alex chimes in.
“I fell off of a table?” I marvel. “What?” The table erupts in laughter. “Oh my god.” I bury my face in my hands. “This is actually embarrassing.”
Alex’s arm wraps around my waist and pulls me against his side. “Embarrassing? Babe, you were the life of the party.”
♠ ♠ ♠
they're on you
like a tattoo.
they're watching
every move that you're making.