Status: complete. click ahead for the final chapters.

I Don't Do Lonely Well

lean on me.

I find it weird that Alex doesn't answer when I call him while waiting for my morning coffee. He must be really hungover. So, I just brush it off and head to my second day of high school counseling.
It's also weird working with some of the people that taught me as a teenager, and informing them that I'm engaged to a successful musician basically blows their minds. Some of the kids that have come in already ask about the picture of Alex and I over the summer because they recognize him. And they are all shocked to know that I'm the girl he talks about in his interviews, the one that he writes his songs about, the one that, he's told his fans, has saved his life.
I'm in the middle of one of my first period appointments when Alex calls me back. Naturally, I don't answer, but he keeps calling until my student tells me that she'd rather I answer the phone since its probably important.
"Yeah, Alex," I answer, making sure he knows by the tone of my voice that I'm busy. "I'm with a student."
The line stays silent.
"Alex?"
"I got arrested."
My jaw falls through the floor. "I'm going to need to call you back." I hang up and take a deep breath.
"Is everything okay, Ms. Lennox?" she questions.
"Yeah...I'm sorry for that interruption, Stacy. Where were we?"
"My parents divorce..." Her face gets all sad like Alex says mine used to when my parents got divorced.
"Right. Well, I bet you didn't know but my parents got divorced about a year ago. So, I know how hard this is. And I know you're going to want to isolate yourself and try to deal with this alone, but take it from someone who made that mistake. Surround yourself with the ones that care about you." The tone sounds.
"I better get to class. Thank you, Ms. Lennox." She smiles and collects her things.
"Anytime, Stacy. My door is always open." Stacy heads out and I check my schedule to see if I have time to call Alex back. Luckily, I'm free all of this second period. Or maybe not so lucky.
I dial Alex, and it only rings once before he answers. "What do you mean you got arrested, Alex," I demand.
I hear him sigh heavily. "At the bar last night. For public intoxication and attempted assault and battery."
"Assault and battery? Are you fucking serious, Alex? What on this entire fucking planet did you do?"
"Lisa was at the bar last night, and I was already wasted. She was talking shit about you as if it would make me sleep with her or something."
"So you threatened to assault her and then did? I don't care who she is, Alex! She's a girl!"
"Hang on! I didn't hit anyone. Yeah, she came onto me and I pushed her away. But someone had just stood up and got out of their chair behind her, and she fell over it. The bouncer told me I had to leave, I got a little upset, we kept shouting at each other, the bouncer called the cops, she called you a whore, I might have gotten pissed and thrown my drink--"
"You threw your drink at her?!" I cut him off.
"Not at her, but I threw it. Apparently that constitutes as assault. So, she told the cops I threatened her, they threw me in the sober tank for the night, and Jack bailed me out an hour ago."
I sigh heavily when he's done explaining. "What's the damage?"
"I don't want to talk about the bailout cost...I'm going to meet with my lawyer in about two hours, but it looks like a minimum fine of one grand, and I'll be on probation since no one got seriously injured."
"Shit, Alex..." I run my hand through my hair.
"I know, babe. I'm so fucking sorry."
"I mean, I'm not mad per say. I don't want to pull the parent card, but I'm really disappointed in you. We've been apart for three days, and you're already drinking yourself away. Babe, I'm upset, too, but you know I don't want you to deal with it this way."
"That isn't even why I was so drunk. It was just a guy's night, and Jack and I were doing shots. I wasn't drinking because I was upset. I spent the entire day you left in bed crying."
I get quiet for a minute. "You did?"
"Yeah. I just spent three months living with you, sharing the same bed, the same bathroom, the same straightener...I wanted to be strong for you when you left, but it was killing me to see you go."
My eyes are swimming with tears. "Lex, please stop. I don't want to cry at work." I hear him chuckle. "I miss you, you know. This whole falling asleep alone thing isn't working for me."
"Me either. I'm thinking of buying a body pillow." We share a laugh.
"I already did..." He laughs again, and it brings a smile to my lips. "I miss you, Lex."
"I miss you, too, sweetheart."
"Call me after you meet with your lawyer, okay? I'm still upset with you, but I want to know how it goes. We can talk more after I get off work."
"Alright. I love you, babe."
"I love you, too."

"So, he told you?" Grace wonders over the phone during my lunch break.
"Yeah...I'm not quite sure what to think. Like, I want to be mad about it, but he was defending me. So, can I even get mad at him?"
"Absolutely. He got arrested. He threw a glass in a bar. I was there. I watched it all happen. I don't mean to throw him under the bus, but he was kind of an ass. Granted, Lisa probably deserved it..."
"Grace, you're not helping. I mean, he facing potential jail time. I don't want to be a bitch to him and make things worse."
"I'd be pissed at Jack if it were him." I can hear the indifference in her voice.
But nonetheless, I catch her slip. "Jack, eh?"
She gasps. "Fuck, I wasn't supposed to say anything yet. We kind of made it official this morning. Don't tell Alex! I want Jack to do it."
"Alright, alright. So, what happened last night after my fiancé got arrested that lead to this?"
Grace laughs. "A lot of alcohol and Jack offering to buy another girl a drink. I guess I got jealous, took the girl's drink, and proceeded to make out with Jack in front of her." My eyebrows peak with interest. "Then he took me home with him..."
"Oh my God! You slept with him!" I squeal.
"Gin, he was so fucking good. I'm so glad I wasn't blacked out for it."
I laugh. "It must be something about the two best friends because Alex is amazing, too."
Grace lets out a laugh. "Must be. How are you holding up?" I sigh heavily.
"I miss him like crazy, but he said he's going to try and stop by for a weekend in about a month, but he's not sure he can yet. So, I might not see him until Christmas."
"Please, he's so in love with you. He'll get out there to see you."
"I hope so. It's weird not waking up to him."

"So, I told him my side of the story because he had already heard Lisa's through the police report, and he said that he could potentially drop all charges because she's an ex. Regardless, I'm filling a restraining order against her."
I'm not quite sure how to respond other than with a sigh. "None of this is really ideal."
"Dropped charges aren't ideal?" I can hear the irritation in his voice.
"I'm sorry, but I'm trying to sort the situation out in my head. You got arrested last night, Alex. It's not like you just got a fucking drinking ticket."
"Because those are better?" His voice is sarcastic and bitter.
"I have like five of them from my first two years of college. They're not as big as you'd think they are."
He sighs. "Listen, I'm doing all that I can to make this right. I messed up last night--I get that. I'm trying to be mature about this, and you're not helping."
I scoff. "Not helping? What would you like me to do? Tell you that it's okay, everyone messes up, and then get over it. I could careless if you got just a drinking ticket, but you got arrested too. What are your fans going to think? What about your parents and Flyzik and me?"
"Well, you already made it very clear what you think," he retorts. I roll my eyes.
"Heaven forbid I'm worried about you, Alex.” The sarcasm soaks my voice.
"Yeah, I'm worried about me, too. I dig didn't want to become one of those lead singers who fuck their lives up like this. I'm fucking terrified, babe. What is everyone going to think when they hear?"
I bite my lip at how upset he sounds. "I don't know," I reply, my voice a little louder than a whisper.
"Now is one of those time where I need you to support me. I know I fucked up. I'm well aware of that. Just please, Virginia, I need a support system right now, not a second mother because I'm going to call her as soon as I hang up, and she’s going to have a lot to say to me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
if there's a load you have to bear
that you can't carry,
i'm right up the road;
i'll share your load.