Status: co-write!

In the Company

Screwed Up Hearts & Flying Phones

“What?!” I gasped at my best friend. “He just… left?”

Ryleigh nodded slowly, obviously upset. She was in yet another nest of blankets, this time on her bed. I sat at the foot of it, now in comfortable shorts and a t-shirt. When the boys and I had returned with dinner (sans Taylor, whose parents had gotten in early), I found the living room to be empty and Ry’s door shut. Max had made a comment about Brayden finally getting some, but Pat put a stop to that with a punch to the shoulder.

I played off the awkwardness as best I could, turning the tv up a bit and keeping the conversation going. Once they had finally left at nearly midnight, I knew that if I didn’t go in to stop the sniffles now, they would go on all night.

“He didn’t let me explain,” her voice was little and sad, hurt even. “He just said that if I didn’t feel the same way, then there was nothing he could do about it.”

“But you do feel the same way?” it shouldn’t have even been a question. It was obvious that she was hung up on him, but too scared to do anything about it.

“I just don’t want to end up getting my heartbroken again at the end of the summer. We have less than two months left with them,” she sighed. “I’m trying to make the smart decision.”

“What about what you told me the other night?” I asked, patting her leg. “Something about this being summer and to let things play out?”

“I can’t really do that now can I?” Ryleigh griped before smacking her forehead. “Why didn’t I think of that before?”

“You were scared and in the moment,” I offered. “And that’s okay. Brayden just needs some time to sort out his thoughts and so do you. Once you’re better and back at the office, I’ll lock you two in a room so you hash things out.”

Ryleigh choked out a laugh, only to have it marred by a cough. “What about you and Pat? Anything happen this morning?”

I shifted in my seat, sipping my beer. “I don’t know. I mean, we went for a run, obviously,” Ry rolled her eyes. “And that was fun. I mean that. And then we went for coffee…”

“At the same place he ran you over?” she guessed and smiled. “Wow, nice.”

I started blushing, remembering my time spent with Pat that morning. “And then he went to open the door for me and was just like, ‘I want to get this right.’”

Ryleigh gaped at me. “Holy shit.”

I laughed. “I know, right? It’s just too cheesy to be true.”

“Naw,” she shook her head. “That’s cute. Are you guys gonna make plans again? Just the two of you?”

I shrugged. “Maybe. I just… I guess I have my own thinking to do.”

“About what?” she asked, sitting up.

“I just want to make sure that I’m ready for this,” I elaborated. “A relationship, I mean. And to tell you the truth, Ry, I don’t think I am.”

All of a sudden, it was my sick friend comforting me.

“We’re pretty screwed up in the hearts, aren’t we?” Ry asked, pulling me into a hug, despite her illness.

I laughed, rubbing her back. “Yeah, I’ll say so.” I glanced at the clock, groaning at the time. “I should go to bed.”

Ryleigh stifled her own yawn and nodded. “See you in the morning. Or not. If I’m awake.”

“Feel better, chica,” I squeezed her knee and pushed myself off the bed and shut her door behind me. Maybe a good night’s rest would help me sort my thoughts out a little bit.

*~*~*~*~*~*

The next morning, still terribly confused, I laced up my sneakers and went for a run alone. I had opted to leave my ringing phone at home, not wanting to deal with David.

It was like he really thought he had a chance at a relationship with me again. He was insistent and I was just getting fed up. Being with Pat showed me I wanted to move on, but my brain was telling me I wasn’t ready. What was a girl to do?

With an hour’s run through Central Park, I trooped back to the apartment and my sick friend. Sure enough, Ryleigh was camped out on the couch, having made the excursion to the bathroom and wanting the television.

“Have fun?” she asked and I could hear her stuffy nose.

I puffed some air out. “As much as I can. How are you feeling?”

“Should be back to work tomorrow, I think,” Ryleigh said as I put the back of my palm to her head.

“No fever,” I nodded. “Take your meds and nap it out. Try to eat something.” Once in the bathroom, I added, “And no junk food!”

“How can I eat chips when you don’t keep any in the house?” she yelled back, a little hoarse. “All we’ve got is… ice cream!”

I groaned but didn’t put a stop to it. With us, ice cream never hurt anything. My stomach grumbled at the thought of it and I knew that if I didn’t hurry and get something semi healthy in it soon, I’d be the one hunting for potato chips.

In record time, I was showered, dressed, and even had my hair looking nice with some makeup. With an arm’s length shoulder pat, I said goodbye to Ryleigh and was out the door sipping my coffee and eating a granola bar.

I made it to the office before the boys and just as I was sitting down at my desk, Deena came strolling through.

“Hi,” I started, standing up. “What can I do for you?”

“I wanted to have a little status update,” my petite boss said. “Step into my office?”

I nodded and followed her out of the room, leaving my things on my desk. My phone and it’s million and one messages could wait for later.

Or never.

“How’s Ryleigh feeling?” Deena asked as I sat down across from her.

“Good,” I said. “She thinks she’ll be back tomorrow.”

Deena smiles. “Good to hear she’ll be back. Now, about your clients.”

I leaned in, ready to listen. Was something wrong?

“I’d first like to commend you and Ryleigh for all the hard work you’ve put in with them,” Deena began. “I’d have liked to do this with Ryleigh here as well, but I’m leaving tomorrow for a meeting in L.A.” I nodded, unaware of that fact. “Furthermore, I know that this can’t be easy on either of you, with all the time it requires. But I want you to know that I and the board have recognized that and you’ll both be compensated accordingly with some sort of bonus.”

“Thank you,” I sat back, a little surprised. Deena had never given either of us that much praise all at once. “Just… thank you. For this opportunity as well.”

“Don’t thank me,” she shook her head. “Now, I believe they’re here and I’m sure you’d like to get to work. Expect an email from me in a few days.”

I took that as my cue to leave and I hustled out of the room, trying to keep the grin from my face. As confused as I still was, my workday was pretty decent.

“What are you all up to?” I asked as I entered the office.

The guys were swarmed around my desk, totally engrossed in something. They glanced up when I approached and they all jumped away, except for Pat.

He was seated in my chair, something in his hand. He was playing with a phone.

My phone.

“What the hell?” I swiped it out of his hand and shooed him away. “What is it with you guys and personal belongings?”

“It was ringing like crazy,” Claude pointed out.

I sighed, wishing I hadn’t turned it up when I left the room, just in case Ryleigh called me.

“That doesn’t mean you have to go through all my messages.”

“It does if it’s your asshole ex-boyfriend,” Tyler crossed his arms.

Taylor matched his stance. “What’s he doing still trying to talk to you?”

“You’re the ones that read the messages and listened to the voicemails,” I sighed and changed my passcode yet again.

“Cheer up, mon cher,” Max patted my back. “He’s not worth the frustration.”

I smiled up gratefully at him before noticing the quietest of the bunch, who was seated on the couch, staring at his own phone.

Brayden usually wasn’t one to take part in the everyday banter pointlessly, only chiming in when he had something legitimate to add. And right now, he was looking rather uncomfortable and conflicted. More so than usual, I should say.

But before I could talk to him, my phone began going off again, David’s face coming up on the caller i.d.

I groaned and dropped my face and arms to the desk. Would it ever stop?

“Okay, that’s it,” Pat grabbed my phone and pulled out the memory card. “You don’t have to deal with this.”

He walked over to the open window and I knew exactly what he was going to do.

“Pat!” I shrieked. “Don’t you dare!”

But it was too late. Because the next thing I knew, my BlackBerry was freefalling into a coy pond, ten stories below.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello there! How are you all doing? Here's another update for you lovely people and I hope that you enjoy it. I really liked writing the ending. What are some of your predictions for the story? Do you see Ry and Bray and Pat and Rose getting together? Is David gone for good?

I have some other questions for you all as well. I was searching through some hockey fic here on Mibba the other day and I realized that certain teams and players are seriously lacking. That being said, who are some players you wish had more written about them here on Mibba? Leave a comment letting me know and I'll be using this information for something to come later on.

Let us know what's on your minds, lovelies!