Not Going Home Alone

The Proposal

Zach’s POV:

This is the night I am going to propose to Brooklyn. That’s one reason that Morgan and Cameron shoved everyone out. I let her in on the plan the other day, as a distraction. No one else knows. Well, Brooklyn might. She figures that stuff out.

“Zach, you just got home. Where in the world are you going?” And now mom knows.

“I am hanging out with Brooklyn.”

“Don’t you think her parents will want to see her? She’s been away a while as it is.”

“Trust me, mom, after tonight they will be flying down here.” She raises one eyebrow.

“Are you saying what I think you are?”

“It depends on what you think I’m saying.” I flash my innocent boy smile. I am going to make her wait this out as long as I can.

“Zachary Porter, are you going to propose to her tonight?” Well, that didn’t take long.

“Yeah, I am. I just hope she says yes.”

“Why the sudden doubts? I know she will say yes.”

“I know she will, but there is still the chance that she’ll say no.” After what we've been though, I don't know much anymore.

“Yes, Zach, and there’s a chance that cows are driving right now.” I look outside and she playfully slaps me. “Cows aren’t driving and Brooklyn will say yes.”

“Thanks, I really needed that.”

“Go get yourself a wife. I can’t wait to do some planning with her. It will be our first mother-in-law, daughter-in-law bonding.” She runs to get a book she’s been saving since she was a teenager. I get to Brooklyn’s and just walk in.

“Zach! Get out!”

“What are you doing?” She’s trying to hide something, but I can’t tell what it is.

“It’s a surprise for next week.” What’s next week? Her birthday’s still months away and the day we started dating isn’t for a while.

“We don’t have an anniversary that I’m forgetting, do we?”

“You mean you forgot? But seriously, no, we don’t. You’ll see when we get home.” She laughs and walks over to me.

“I don’t know if I can wait.” She takes my hand and runs out. She looks amazing, just like she did for our first date. We get there, and just our luck, it starts raining.

“You did say a repeat first date. Just try not to trip and take me with you.” I kiss her and a few people stare. An hour in to the date, my plan takes action. The music starts and No Air starts playing. I take her hands and she smiles, thinking we’re going to dance.

“Follow me.”

“Zach, where are we going?” I lead her to the stage and they hand me the mic. People are staring.

“Alright, I know this doesn’t usually happen at a club, but this girl is really special to me. We had our first date at a club in Washington and have had a great ride to this point. Brooklyn, I love you with all my heart. Will you marry me?” Her hands fly up to her mouth and she nods. I place the ring on her finger and he hugs me.

“Yes, Zach, I’ll marry you.” The music starts again and we go back to the floor, with me tripping.

***************************************************