Dizzy Hurricane

Sick of Sleeping Alone

Zack had just left for a few moments, going back to his house to grab some more comfortable clothes for the night he would be spending with Rae. When he got there, one of his best friends, Jack, was waiting in the living room, anxiously pacing across the room.

"Hey, Jack," Zack called, hurrying up the stairs to change into a pair of sweat pants and a more comfortable t-shirt. He also wanted to grab a hoodie. Jack immediately followed Zack to his room, and started talking almost immediately as Zack started to change clothes.

Jack inhaled before he started talking, and then his mouth opened, letting out a flood of words and questions. "What happened? What are you back so early? Where's Rae? Why aren't you drunk? How's Rae doing? Is she okay? Is she dating anybody? Are you going to see her again?" Jack asked, the questions in rapid succession, then paused, taking a deep breath before opening his mouth to start again, but Zack held his hand up, stopping the younger man from continuing.

"Not much, I'm going back, at her house, we didn't go to the bar. Rae's fine, no, she's not dating anybody. I'm going back to her house as soon as I get changed and grab something to wear tomorrow," Zack answered all of Jack's question, and then Jack nodded.

Jack let out a soft sigh. "Alright, well, have fun tonight. Tell Rae-Rae I said hi, I miss her, and that we need to kick it before I kick her," stated Jack, and Zack laughed at his best friend.

"Alright, I will," Zack told his friend, pulling a gray shirt over his head and grabbing a pair of jeans out of the closet. "See you tomorrow, Jack." And with that, Zack was off, heading back to Rae's house.

Image


Meanwhile, Rae was rushing around her bedroom, trying to find the promise ring Zack had given her several years ago; back when Rae's life had been perfect. Then, Zack had started touring with the band, and their relationship had gone to shit. Rae left him, but he'd always held a place in her heart; she'd never been able to truly get over him.

Now, seeing Zack again, the way he'd kissed her when he first came in her door, had brought back all of her old emotions for him; everything Rae had forced to the back of her conscience was coming back. Rae couldn't deny that the attraction she felt towards Zack was more than just physical. Everything she'd ever felt for Zack had come rushing back at the exact moment his lips had touched hers.

Rae almost never took off the necklace that he'd given her for their one year anniversary, despite the fact that she didn't open it very often. It was a heart shaped locket with two angel wings as the door. Inside, was a picture Rae had taken of them on Zack's phone: originally, the picture was just going to be of the two of them with their faces squished together, both smiling widely. But, Zack had changed that at the last second, turning and kissing Rae's cheek softly. Rae smiled at the memory; it had been an altogether good day.

Finally, as Rae emptied out her vanity drawers, she discovered the tiny silver ring. She scooped it up quickly, and let it stay in her hand, for some reason not wanting to put it on. She wanted Zack to be the one to slide the ring back into it's place on her hand.

For some reason, the day she had left him came to mind.

It was cold outside, the wind blowing off the Atlantic making it even more so. Angry clouds were gathered in the sky, and rain pattered against the windows of the tiny house as Rae stuffed her clothes into her bag, everything she'd ever left at Zack's house.

It was then that Zack walked into the room. "Rae?" he whispered her name, surprise coloring his voice. "Why are you packing? You know you don't have to take your stuff when I go on tour."

Rae shook her head. "That's not why I'm taking my shit, and you know it Zachary," she responded, but kept her voice soft.

Zack shook his head, not seeming to understand what she was saying. "Rae, what's going on?" he asked, coming towards her. Zack wrapped his arms around Rae's waist, pulling her to his chest and kissing her cheek sweetly.

Rae pushed Zack away, not wanting to lose her resolve to leave. "No, Zack, don't," she whispered, hands shaking as she raised them and pressed them firmly to his muscular chest, pushing the dark haired man away. "I can't do this anymore."

As soon as those words were out of Rae's mouth, Zack understood. She was leaving him. "Baby, what's wrong? What did I do?" he questioned, looking hurt.

Sighing, Rae shook her head, and pulled Zack into a quick, gentle hug. "You didn't do anything," she whispered, even though it was a lie. It was him constantly touring that was the reason for Rae leaving. She couldn't take it anymore. Rae wasn't the kind of girl that always needed to be attached to her boyfriend, but she needed at least a little bit of time with him, consistently. Rae hated going months without being able to kiss Zack or hug him, even just cuddle up on the couch and watch movies together.

Zack shook his head. "No, I did. I never spend time with you anymore. Rae, I'm so sorry. I did this to us," he whispered, hanging his head as he sat down on the bed.

Rae dropped the bag she held, sitting down beside Zack and putting her hand gently on his cheek, lifting his head until his eyes met hers. "Hey, listen to me, okay?" she said, and Zack nodded, staring at her through tear-clouded eyes.

"You're going to find someone that loves you so much more than I ever could, and she's going to stick by you no matter what. She's going to make you forget all about me. You're going to find someone you love more than you ever loved me, and that's okay," Rae whispered, and kissed Zack's cheek softly.

Zack turned his head quickly, surprising Rae by kissing her fiercely. She started to pull away, but couldn't bring herself to not give him this last kiss. As soon as he removed his lips from hers, Zack brought his hand to Rae's cheek, caressing it gently. "I will never love anyone more than I love you," he whispered, kissing her again softly before standing off the bed and walking out of the room, leaving Rae to finish packing her things.

As Rae started to leave, she reached underneath her hair to unclasp her necklace that Zack had given her, but his voice stopped her. "No. Keep it. Don't forget me, Rae," Zack told her, and she turned to see him standing in the doorway. Rae dropped her hands before picking up her bag and casting Zack a tiny, sad smile.

When Rae made it out the door and to her car, she let the tears begin to fall down her face.


Rae had never wanted to leave Zack. She had wanted to stay with him, but she couldn't take the constant separation. It had killed Rae, especially because Zack hadd never been asked Rae to come on tour with them, even just for a short amount of time. She had been beginning to think he didn't want to be with her anymore, and, if that was the case, Rae didn't want to hold him back.

Just then, Rae heard a soft knock at her door, and hurried to go open it. Zack stood on her porch, and smiled sweetly at her as Rae let him into the house. "Do you want the grand tour, or to go watch a movie?" asked Rae, and Zack laughed, telling her he wanted the grand tour.

Rae quickly showed him around the small house, and then stopped in front of the last door in the hall. "And, my room," she announced, throwing the door open and turning on a switch, revealing a softly lit room in blues and browns. It was quite a simple room, actually, with some plants on either side of the bed and a small tree in the corner.

Zack smiled, and looked around the room. It was so like Rae to have a bedroom like this. Simple, with very little decoration. But, he could see her in the plants and bedding. It was Rae in every way.

Rae walked into the room, and threw herself down on the queen sized bed. "Do you want to watch a movie in here? The bed's more comfy than the couch anyways," she suggested, gesturing to the bureau, where Zack noticed a TV.

"Sure," he agreed, and Rae quickly slid under the covers, before patting the space next to her. Zack followed suite, folding back the covers and settling himself beside Rae, placing one arm cautiously around her waist.

Rae immediately snuggled into Zack's chest, before grabbing the remote off of the nightstand and going to Netflix, picking some random, new horror flick and clicking play.

The movie was actually pretty scary, and before long, Rae had her face buried in Zack's neck and was refusing to watch the movie. Zack was laughing at Rae, and turned to kiss the top of her head before turning the movie off. "Come here," he said, pulling Rae into his lap. It didn't take much, she was already practically there anyways.

Rae turned in Zack's arms so she was straddling him, and Zack wrapped his arms loosely around Rae's waist. She leaned in, kissing him softly. "I'm so sorry, Zack," she whispered, and Zack tensed, knowing what she was apologizing for.

"Baby, you don't need to be sorry," Zack told Rae, moving one of his hands up to brush the hair out of Rae's eyes. "It was my fault. I was never around."

Rae leaned into Zack, kissing him again. Zack tangled his hand into Rae's soft, black hair, deepening the kiss before she broke it, then leaned her forehead against his. She reached over to the nightstand, and picked up something small and silver, then Zack realized what it was. It was the promise ring he had given her.

Zack took the ring out of Rae's hand, and lifted her right hand, slipping the ring on her finger easily, before leaning in to kiss her gently. "I love you, Rae," he whispered, kissing her fiercely, letting every emotion he'd ever felt for her pour into that kiss. "You are the only one I'll ever love."

Rae kissed Zack back, before replying. "I love you, too, Zack," she whispered, kissing him hard, her slim fingers tangling into his hair. "I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Rae
Rae's Bedroom