The City

CHAPTER THREE

As I enter the studio a man shoos me over to a beauty chair.
“Sit.” He commands in a French accent. I obey and then a crowd of others gather around me. One is brushing my hair and the other is looking at my face while one is filing my nails.
“We can work with this. Marcia! Get the ‘book’.” I look up at Phillip and his blue eyes sparkle. He has clear tannish skin and a light mustache. He has black hair and a stern look to his face.
“Thank you!” He says as a woman hands him a book. He flips open the book and takes out different color, First a bleach blonde then a dark brown. I gulp thinking of this man dying my hair. He throws then behind him and then hands the book over to another girl.
“Get her nails done. “ He orders to a woman with red hair. He smiles sweetly at me and then grabs a chair and sits down opposite of me.
“Hello. My name is Phillip Bloch. I am going to be your stylist for now on. This is my crew and today we will be improving your… look.” I nod.
“Question, are you dying my hair?” He laughs and shakes his head.
“I would be crazy to do that. Your color is perfect, only thing I am worried about is your eyebrows... Someone take care of this mess. I’m looking for a ‘Esther Canadas’ look.” A brown haired girl with a bob nods and begins plucking. I close my eyes in pain as Phillip continues.
“I hope Tim told you. You will be promoting ASAP. A couple photo-shoots, you will be playing for people in London. Tomorrow we will start talking about the new single, if people like you then we can start writing.” I winch in pain and then agree.
“When will the photo-shoot be?” Phillip laughs and then calls a girl over named Jill.
“Make up now Jill. Thank you darling.” He turns his attention back to me, “Once you are done with you bushy brows and get make up I’d say… then.” I sit there shocked.
“Well that was fast...” I say rubbing my eyebrows. Phillip laughs and the takes his makeup bag and begins his work. After a long hour my makeup and hair is finally finished and in getting shooed off to wardrobe. When I get there a woman with long legs and big fake breasts with a small frame.
“Hello, I am Savanna Arvin. Get naked.” I look at her in shock. She turns and goes into another room. I stand there awkwardly. ‘Did she just ask to take my clothes off?’ The girl comes back with arms full of clothes. She sees me and then sighs.
“You still have clothes on, why?” I shrug and unbutton my pants.
“Faster, Timothy will be coming soon. You need to be ready.” I finish getting undressed and Savanna throws clothes at me. “Here” I take the clothes and then put them on.
“How does it look?” I ask looking down. I am in a navy blue dress.
Savanna snorts and then looks at me with ‘really’ eyes. “Darling. I dressed you, you look fabulous.” I nod uneasily. She sees my uneasiness and then pulls me over to a mirror. I look at my refection and it’s like it’s not even me. My hair is curled when it’s usually straight and my makeup is natural. The dress brings out my eyes and curves. All in all I look phenomenal. A smile forms on my face and I look at Savanna. She smiles back and then Timothy walks in.
“Wow, Eva you look…” He says looking me up and down, “Legit.” I smile and blush looking down. “Okay. Well Brandon is almost ready for you. You can just slip in there. Room 187. Have fun!” I nod and begin walking down the hall. “And be yourself!” He says last minute.
When I get to the studio someone is taking photos of someone else. They both look over at me and I wave. I see that the person that is getting photos taken is Ed.
“You must be Eva. Hello, in Brandon. Please, this will only take a minute. You can just sit there.” I nod and sit on the chair next to the door. Ed is wearing a cute little black and white suit. I watch as Ed looks at the ground then up and smiles. The photo snaps. Ed grabs a guitar and poses with it. Another snap. I smile and laugh. Brandon turns and looks at me. I stop and stare at him.
“Uhm, sorry.” Brandon turns back and then looks at me again. “Stand up for a moment.” I do as told and then he points over to Ed. “Stand by him please.” I follow orders again and stand next to him. He smiles at me and makes me blush. I look at the ground and smile. The camera snaps. I look up and Brandon’s smiling. “It’s PERFECT! Keep going!” Ed wraps him arm around my waist and pulls me close. I giggle and smile at the camera. “Good, now. Ed, pick her up.” Ed does as told and holds me bridal style. “Perfect! Alright, Eva love, kiss his cheek.” I look at him and he nods so I turn back to Ed and plant a kiss. I feel Ed’s cheeks heat up at my touch and I blush also. “Good! Alright Ed, put Eva down.” He gently puts me on the floor and I laugh, “Good. Now Eva, get on Ed’s back” I look at Ed and he agrees so I jump on his back. Ed holds me without any struggle. I smile for the camera and Ed does the same. “Perfect! Last one, Ed.” I jump off Ed’s back and straighten my dress out. “Ed, darling, get behind Eva and take her waist.” Ed awkwardly grabs my waist and wraps his arms around it. I feel his large hands getting sweaty. Ed leans down and whispers in my ear, “You look beautiful.” His hot breath tickles my ear lobe. I turn my head and look up at him. He has a serious face on and he is looking into my eyes. We stare at each other for a moment and we breathe the same air. Another photo is snapped. I turn back and his hot breath is on my neck. He pushes my hair back and down at me. Another snap.
“PERCECTO! Bravo, bravo. Ed that will be all. Eva, wait one moment.” Brandon says running out of the room. Ed clears his throat and removes his hands. I turn and look at him.
“Good photo shoot.” I say joking around. He laughs and then rubs the back of his neck. “Uhm, Ev-.” Ed was cut off by Brandon running back into the room. He is holding a large bag and a new background.
“Eva. Hold this.” He hands me the bag and then goes to the background. Ed sighs and waves goodbye. I smile and wave back. Ed walks out of the room slowly. I look back at Brandon and he is done with the background. The background is just plain white. I look back at the bag. It contains feathers. I laugh thinking of what we are about to do. He turns and smiles at me.
“Okay, hand it over.” I give him the bag and he grabs a ladder. “I am going to let these feathers fall and you’re just going to pose, very easy and simple but we must hurry. We spent most of the time with Ed.” He climbs on the ladder and then calls over his assistant. He mutters something in Spanish and then gives me the thumbs up. I mimic and then soon the feathers are flowing. I pose the best I can. At first it is very awkward but soon I get the hang of it. After another half an hour we are finally done. He instructs me to go back to Savanna for my clothes and then to Timothy. I follow instructions and get dressed. After I wave goodbye to Savanna I head over to Timothy’s office. I knock on the door and walk in. He is typing on the computer and when he sees me he smiles.
“How was your first day at Atlantic Records?” He asks sipping his coffee. I smile and sit down.
“Perfect! I couldn’t ask for more!” He smiles and puts his cup down.
“Good, because tomorrow you will be coming the same time, we have to start campaigning your music. We will do a few gigs I have already set up. We will create a Facebook and Twitter and such. Since you know some of Ed’s songs you will be performing them. I asked Ed if he could show you the ropes and he agreed happily so tomorrow will be busy, but your job today is done.” He smiles and stands up and walks over to the door. I follow smiling.
“Thank you SO much! I will be here early!” I say walking out of his office. I wave goodbye to some of the people I met today and head to the elevators. As I get in someone shouts ‘Wait!’ I stick my hand out and hold the elevator for them. The man stops running and gets in. I take my phone out and text Gavin.
‘Change of plans. I will meet you at the café. Running a little late. Xx’
“Thank you so much.” He says pushing lobby. I laugh and turn to him. He looks at me and then smiles.
“So, is this ‘our’ thing? Meeting in elevators?” Ed says laughing. I shrug and then laugh again.
“So, first day Eva, was it worth your while?” Ed asks as I watch the numbers above the doors light up. I snort and then look at him
“It was more. This is like a dream, I am almost positive that I am just dreaming. Like I’m talking to Ed Sheeran in an elevator. That is unreal.” The elevator dings and we step out. My phone vibrates and I look at it. It’s a text from Gavin.
‘Okay, great. I didn’t leave yet. I’ll be waiting, love you.’
“Not really, I’m just a normal guy.” I laugh and wave goodbye to Ruth. She waves back like a Barbie and I make a mental note to not befriend her. We both head for the door and open it.
“So, were you going?” Ed asks stopping outside the doors.
“Little café on Grove Ave, you?” I say talking out my phone.
“We can slit a cab. I’m going by there anyway.” Ed says calling out a cab. I laugh and then agree. He opens the door and lets me in then gets in himself.
“3654 Grove Ave please.” I say looking at my phone. It reads 5:10.
“So, you excited to perform tomorrow?” Ed asks tapping on his knee.
“Who wouldn’t be? I’m happy that you agreed to show me around the office. It’s a huge place.” Ed blushes and then the cab stops. I look out and Gavin is waiting outside for me. Ed looks over at Gavin and then back.
“Well, bye. I had a great time at the shoot.” I say to Ed as I pay and get out. He nods and I shut the door. I go over to Gavin and kiss him on the lips.
“Hi babe.” I say as he wraps his arms around me. We walk into the café so I can tell Mark the news.
*ED’S P.O.V.*
“Well, bye. I had a great time at the shoot.” Eva says as she pays. I nod still thinking out the man that Eva waved at. ‘Her brother? Gay friend? Best friend? I look over and there kissing. My heart falls to my stomach. ‘Boyfriend.’ As the cab drives away I watch as the two walk into the little café holding hands.