Status: It's coming along really great! Tell me what you think!

The Little Common Word

Ariel

The news shocked Marky more than anyone else. He sits with us and demands his waiter to make us some food. He decides to pay it with his own money. We talk for nearly two hours about this situation. We tell him we already have funeral arrangements. She’s going to buried in a dress our dad bought for her on their tenth anniversary. We don’t know exactly where the funeral will be held yet. We begin talking about memories and family memories.
“Remember the time mom and dad surprised us with a kitten when we got home from school?” June asked. “And then we named the kitten rainy because it was raining outside and we couldn’t figure out a better name?” She added.
“Yes, I do actually. You were only eleven and I was fifteen. Ironically every time it rained Rainy would get scared and cuddled on one of our laps. Mom and dad always knew how to surprise us. Like that one time when we went to the lake for the fourth of July and expected no fireworks because it rained the same morning, but then mom took us out on the lake pier and we saw dad in his big boat, then he shot off some fireworks for us to watch. Our parents were the best.” I said softly. Marky looked up and saw that I was starting to shed some tears and hugged me. June noticed as well, and started crying right along with me.
“So, does this mean were orphans now?” June asked.
“It feels like it, doesn’t it?” I said choking over my tears.
“You both had excellent parents. Couldn’t ask for better parents. I couldn’t ask for better friends actually. I watched you girls grow up, and right now, what I see, you two girls are the most excellent children they could ever ask for. They talked about you non-stop. They were the only family oriented people I knew. They loved you very much. Even if y’all had bad times, they still loved you.” Marky said as he started crying along with us.
What Marky said made June and I feel ten times better. I slowly begin to realize that I did have a great family and that I should be grateful I ended up with them instead a drunk father and morphine addict mom—like some of my friends parents --.
* * * * *
I see myself now, two weeks after my mother passed away, as a stronger woman. I feel like an orphan, but yet I’m not. I still have my sister, I still have my friends and family. Yet, I still feel alone. I still feel kind of, unwanted. Unloved the most, do I need someone? Do I need someone in my life to make me feel complete again? No, I don’t believe in love. Of course I don’t need someone. The only someone I need is my mommy. I miss my mommy. I’m 24 and I need my mommy. I need help…

I eat at my favorite restaurant. I order the usual. I look outside, and see someone familiar. Very familiar, like someone I use to know familiar. I ignore it because I’m too afraid to admit it. I go to the bathroom, and touch up my makeup. I come back to my table and notice the person I thought looked familiar is seated next to me. We lock eyes for a nanosecond. The expressions on our face were the same. The expression was “I’ve seen you before, awkward…” I sit down, a few minutes later. Something stumbled upon me, a simple paper airplane. A paper airplane that had the words “I’ve missed you.”