Status: It's coming along really great! Tell me what you think!

The Little Common Word

Colton

It’s been two weeks. Two weeks since I found Lily’s sister. If she was still alive, she’d be thanking me. but since she’s not here, I feel like I’m cheating on her with her sister. I don’t like her sister now, but who says I won’t? you never know what might happen in the future. Her sister is just like the long lost relative but knows everything about everyone. Every time I try to tell her a story that Lily told me, she would interrupt it and say either “Yeah, I know that story.” Or “Yeah, yeah.” I sometimes get mad at Anna. I’ll sometimes think to myself, she should’ve never left Lily alone with her mom, or maybe it was best for her to leave.
The story of Lily and Anna’s mom goes way back. Her mom became an alcoholic when Anna was still small, before Lily was born. Her mom lost her job and she went into a deep depression and started drinking. Their father asked her numerous times to stop but she refused. She began getting these mood swings. Bad mood swings. She began physically hurting Anna. And soon after Lily was born, started hurting her as well. Anna was lucky she had a couple years before this all happened. All Lily knew, was that her mommy, liked to hurt them.
Their father was the only person these girls knew as a safe haven. They would always stay around him, only him. And that would drive their mother mad. She would say things like “Why do you girls always go to him? Why won’t you ever spend time with me?” who would? Anna wanted to desperately to yell out “It’s you! You’re beating us that’s why!” but she wanted to not have her nightly whips. Lily was speechless when her mom would try to act all sweet. Lily wouldn’t fall for it.
When her parents decided to get a divorce, Lily actually wanted to be with her dad but Anna got stingy and said “its best you stay here, I’ve been going through this way too long.” When really, Lily has been going through this since birth. Whenever Lily would talk about her sister like this, it would make me get mad at Anna. Did she ever think about her sister while she lived with her dad? Even once? I hope she felt really bad knowing she left her sister behind and is probably dying at that moment. She probably didn’t eat for days, she probably hasn’t taken a shower in weeks. It disgusts me to think about.
I don’t like Anna. Probably never will. We sit down and talk, it gets very interesting.
I say frustratingly “Anna, did the thought of your sister ever cross your mind when you lived with your father? Did you ever think, maybe she should’ve gone, because all she ever knew was that her mommy abused her. She’s been going through this since birth, she can never catch a break! I mean look, she’s dead! Do you ever think about anyone else but yourself? At all?”
“Wow, that’s the first time anyone has ever said anything like that to me. I can’t believe you Colton. I would expect sympathy.” She says. The way she said it made me even angrier.
“You’re not getting it from me! I loved your sister, she was such an amazing girl! She could never forgive you for that. Never. Even if she said she did on the phone to you, she never did. You abandoned your little sister at an evil place, if it was me and my little brother or sister, I’d let my little sibling go somewhere safe and I would stay behind and take the pain. She was nine Anna! Nine! You were fourteen! You only had to live there a few more years and then you graduate, Lily had several years! And yet, you’re so selfish you couldn’t recognize that you killed your sister. She’s been dead ever since she was nine. She may be dead for real now, but she died a long time ago.” I say angrily. I loved Lily and I will defend her even if it means hurting someone else’s feelings.
“Fine, whatever, don’t get my side of this. I loved my sister, I left because I wasn’t strong enough to take the blows and words. My sister, was the only person who was strong enough to look passed the hurt and still see a wonderful day! She was always so optimistic even after the morning punches! I left because if I stayed, I would die. I knew that if she stayed, she would overcome it. And she did! She came out an even stronger person than me! she became the girl you fell in love with! and yes, you have every right to be mad at me and so does she. I just wanted you to get my side of the story before you bash me with all this mess.” She says angrily but then gets quiet.
“I’m not bashing, it’s the truth. You were never for her! She wasn’t the first girl she told when had her first kiss, or gossiped about the girls at school! She got beaten every day after that because her mom was even more mad because she got left by her husband!” I say, Anna doesn’t say anything after that.
We haven’t talk in 3 days, whenever we see each other at work, we walk past each other awkwardly. But in reality, I don’t want to be mad at her. I wanted her, I wanted her like I wanted Lily. Was I falling for Anna? She reminded me so much like Lily that I wanted her, I needed her. I’m scared, I’m nervous… I’m in love again.