Status: It's coming along really great! Tell me what you think!

The Little Common Word

Ariel

“I’ve missed you” Sounds like, it’s true! It’s Harry! I knew he looked familiar. He walked towards me, I should reject him, he broke my heart. Say no Ariel, say no!
“Hey Ariel, long time no see.” He says smolderingly.
“Hey Harry, you’re right. So, how’s your girlfriend you left me for in high school?” I say meanly.
“Are you really still on that?” He says.
“Yes I’m really still on that. I have a right you know.” I say aggressively.
“Look, I know what I did was wrong, but to have you know, I’m not with her anymore. She cheated on me.” He says softly as if he was trying to comfort somebody. Why would he sound like this? The way he sounded make me feel disgusted to even talk to him.
“You deserve it. After the way you left me hanging on a north facing tree.” I said angrily still. All I had was anger built up in me. I use to be sad about it, now I’m mad about it.
“I’m sorry Ariel. I never meant for that to happen. I was stupid and naïve. I was just a teenager and so were you. Please, forgive me, this is my chance to make it up to you.” I stop him.
“Make it up to me? What do you mean? Start over?” I ask nervously.
“Yes, I mean start over. I miss you. I miss our crazy two a.m. conversations. I miss how close we were, I miss the way you felt in my arms. Please, let me start over, if I screw up, then you don’t have to ever talk to me again. Just please, consider giving me another chance.” He sounds so… true. My heart is telling me to say yes, but my brain says no. who should I listen to?
“I guess I can.” I guess I’ll listen to my heart. I hope my heart is right about this.
We exchange numbers and begin to catch up. It excites me to know that he’s been looking for me ever since I was a freshman in college. Maybe he’s right. He knows I’ve missed him, god knows I have. I’m afraid that if he damages me again, my heart will shatter even more. The only thing that’s holding together my heart is tape. Maybe Harry can glue it back together. Maybe even super glue it.
He’s been everywhere. He works for an artist and goes all sorts of places to find inspiration for the artist. Weird right? I thought artists had their own inspiration. Harry has been to the Caribbean Islands to take pictures, been to Paris, New York City. But, what made him decide to come to little old Boston I asked. He simply said “You’re the reason I came here.” I melted. I wanted to leap into his arms but I knew that would indecent. After a two hour lunch I finally decide it’s time for me to go. He walks me to my car, we say goodbye, and drive away. When I turned the corner and knew he couldn’t see me, I smiled. I smiled for the first time in a long time. I smiled about a guy for the first time in a long time. Is this really happening?
He texts me to give me his number. I reply with a single thank you and carry on. But I didn’t carry on for long, we texted until midnight. I was lucky I didn’t work the following day. It made me think about how things were with us before. High school was a long time ago, but I never forgot about him. I almost forgot about the good times we had. The good times that are hard to find. He’s the only guy I’ve ever been crazy about.
Maybe he really has changed. It seems like he has. I will give him another chance, even if it means he’ll hurt me again. At least I tried.