Status: It's coming along really great! Tell me what you think!

The Little Common Word

Ariel

As soon as I got the call from my sister, I rushed to my car. I drove without stopping for three hours straight. My mind was filled with too much sadness to even think about food or restroom breaks. My mind was set on my mother.
I arrived at Genesis Hospital and ask the front desk where my mother is in a frantic.
“Where is my mother?!” I said frantically.
“Ma’am, who is your mother?” The nurse said calmly.
“Her name is April Davis. Please hurry! It’s urgent!” I said annoyed.
“Ma’am, she can’t have visitors yet, she’s in the ICU in a medical emergency, and no one can see her! Go to the ICU waiting room and they will take care of you.” She says as I walk away. I race to the ICU waiting room. I see my sister sitting calmly in a seat.
“How can you be so calm?” I said.
“Being calm is the only thing I can do right now. Inside I want to burst out into tears.” She says calmly still.
“I’d rather cry and get it over with. What happened?” I said.
“I walked in her house to get her mail in and she was unconscious in the bathtub. Thank god she wasn’t under the water. I’m really scared Ariel. She’s the only mom I’ve ever had and if I lose her-“She says.
“I know June, she’s the only mom I’ve ever had to and she’s a dang good one. If she does leave us, we have to live for her. We have to be as strong as possible. Can you do that?” I tell her.
“I can try.” She started weeping. A nurse comes out and calls us to her room.
We see her, she’s cold, and she’s still unconscious.
“She doesn’t have long. We tried everything in our will power but nothings working. We called you back to say goodbye.” The nurse sadly says.
Oh god, here it comes. I’m losing my mother. The only person I’ve ever trusted, the only person to ever love me no matter what phase I’m in. I leave the room and let my sister let her say what she wants to say. She starts to cry, I can hear her. She walks out and says it’s my turn. I walk in; her breathing is becoming slower, she becoming paler. The life was slowly coming out of her. I never thought this day would come so soon. I grab her hand. I begin to talk.
“I just wish I could’ve been here earlier. It’s just, it’s hard to say goodbye. June really loves you mama. I really love you too. I just wish, this day could’ve been later. I know how much pain you’ve been in, and I wouldn’t wish it on Harry. Well, actually, I’d rather have him in this pain than you. It’s good to keep some humor in this situation. I just hope you’re not in pain right now. God, I just wish this was so much easier. I’ll live for you mama. I love you. Say hello to daddy for me.” I begin crying recklessly. As soon as I wipe away my tears, she’s gone. She went easily, no loud noises, just silence. Silence. Silence. Silence was all I heard. Peace and silence.
I walk out of the room and tell one of the staff members that she as gone. June heard and ran straight towards mama’s room but the nurse stopped her. She begins crying and screaming. I grab her; we fall to the floor in agony. The nurses wheeled off mama to another part of the hospital where visitors or patients weren’t allowed to go, but obviously dead patients are allowed to go.
Me and sister sit in the hallway outside her old room for hours until we decide to go out to eat and treat ourselves. We cried all we cry,
I drive to the nearest restaurant. It just so happens to be the restaurant mama, daddy, June and me went as little girls. I froze in place. June noticed it as well, we tried to not pay attention to where we always sat. Marky, the restaurant owner who’s worked there for nearly 30 years greeted us.
“June and Ariel! My two favorite girls!” Marky said cheerfully.
“Hey Marky, how’re you doing?” I say quietly.
“I’m good, I’m good. Ya’ll don’t seem so good. Is everything okay?” He said so concerned.
“Not exactly Marky. Something terrible has happened.” I say sadly.
“What happened? Please tell me!” He asked frantically.
“Mama… She’s… She died.” I say. His face went from happy to sad within a second. I wanted to fall to the ground, and die.