Status: In progress, im slow at updating, sorry

Dead But Breathing

Chapter Nineteen

They walked in awkward silence down to the park. Alex knew Matt didn’t want to be there, he knew Matt would probably much rather be sat at home watching Alex go insane from lack of fresh air and human interaction. Matt probably found joy in watching Alex suffer; it sure felt like it. They reached the park after about 10 minutes of walking through winding alley ways that Matt had deliberately led them through to avoid coming into contact with anyone, because Matt still didn’t trust Alex and that just made him even angrier. Alex spotted Jack almost instantly, recognising his long skinny legs and skunk hair. He was sat at the top of one of the kids climbing frames, lent against the side with his headphones in and his eyes closed, moving his head slightly to the music. Alex glanced over at Matt before rushing over to the rope ladder that led to the top of the climbing frame to join Jack. Matt just sighed and made his way over to one of the benches to watch, pulling his headphones into his ears as he walked.

“Hey” Alex greeted Jack when he reached the top, tapping him on the shoulder slightly to get his attention. Jack snapped his head round to look at Alex and let out a sigh.

“Fuck, you scared the shit out of me” Jack laughed, and Alex laughed too, before sliding down to sit next to Jack.

“Sorry” Alex shrugged and smiled slightly, looking over at Jack’s iPod, “What’re you listening to?”

“Green day” Jack grinned, offering a headphone to Alex who gladly took it and placed it in his ear, shuffling closer to Jack so the headphone would reach properly. He instantly regretted the move, he could smell jack’s blood through his skin, he could see the veins pumping in his kneck. He gulped and steadied his breathing again, hoping Jack hadn’t noticed. He wasn’t going to let anything ruin his time with Jack, he was his only friend he had here, if he could even call jack his friend yet; they had known each other for just 2 days.

“I um.. haven’t ever listened to Green day” Alex admitted, blushing slightly with embarrassment. Jack just looked at Alex wide eyed.

“What?! How?!” Jack said with disbelief, “They’re fucking amazing, seriously dude you need to listen to them”

“I just never really gave them a chance I guess” Alex shrugged, “Maybe I should reconsider”

“You should definitely reconsider” Jack laughed, nudging Alex slightly, “Come on, we can go on the swings or something, this is boring” Alex nodded in agreement, following Jack to the other end of the park, where he jumped onto one of the swings and demanded that Alex pushed him. Alex was beginning to realise that Jack was a lot like a 5 year old in a 17 year olds body, but that was just why he liked Jack so much, he needed someone like that.

“Higher” Jack demanded, swinging his legs in an attempt to kick Alex, who ducked quickly to avoid being hit.

“Not if you keep trying to kick me” Alex laughed, but pushed jack harder all the same.

“Now, fucking watch this” Jack yelled, grabbing hold of both chains of the swing and launching himself forwards and onto the ground. He almost landed on his feet, but he fell onto his ass at the last minute, causing Alex to break into hysterics, holding onto one of the swing poles to steady his balance.

“Hey, don’t laugh at me” Jack pouted, “I think I’ve broken my bum”

“You haven’t broken your bum, Jack” Alex giggled, walking over to Jack and offering him a hand up. Jack took his hand and Alex pulled him up until they were facing each other, Jack hand still in Alex’s. Alex realised that he was awardly stood there with Jacks hand in his own and quickly tugged it away, shoving it in his pocket. They stood in silence for a few more seconds before Jack broke it.

“I’ve definitely broken my bum” Jack joked, and Alex laughed, all of the awkwardness washing away instantly. They spent the next few hours just messing around, telling each other stupid joked and generally getting to know each other. There were no more awkward silences, and Alex was grateful. He had completely forgotten about the blood lust, and for the first time in a while he felt like a normal 16 year old messing around with their friend. He wasn’t sure what it was about Jack that made him so easy to get along with, but he was just so genuinely nice, and funny, and caring, and Alex couldn’t really ask for anything more.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is short, but theres a little more jalex here, idk, ive got another chapter as well that i'll post soon

sorry for the slow updates, but thanks to everyone who's sticking with this story and commenting, it means a lot c: