Sequel: Streak of Black

Alpha

Epilogue

Cannan:
I stand outside the house, a little bit away through the trees, staring at the place where I buried Susanne. A rock serves as a headstone. I feel like she deserves better. No one understands, not even Louve as much as she seems to try.

Louve.

The thought of her and what she’s done fills my entire being with fire and fury. She is the biggest ass-kisser I’ve ever met! She betrayed us all, and yet it’s my Susanne that they all cast aside. I practically scream with the rage and agitation that fills me. She knew what would happen—I know that she was well-aware of all of the details, no matter what she says! And now, she wants for us to all get killed, once and for all. She’s the worst of them all—she deserves to burn in the fiercest pits of hell for what she’s done.

They just don't get it, none of them. They play with love, but my feelings for Susanne were real, whether they were mutual or not. This isn't what was meant to happen. I should have been there for her, even back when Damien first approached her.

Damien.

That self-centered, sadistic, blood-thirsty dick. Angry tears fill my eyes at the thought of him, something that enrages me. I snarl, unable to contain my fury any longer, and I decide take my anger out on the closest tree, my fist leaving a decent dent and the tree, in turn giving myself several splinters.

I sink to the ground with my back against the tree I just punched as I pull the shards of wood left in my knuckles. I sigh and glance at Susanne's grave again. She didn't even change back into a human—she stayed a wolf. The universe is a cruel thing, taking one of the sweetest girls I knew and twisting her fate so that she was forced to become something she hated, manipulated by a man corrupted by his father's cruel games, and killed to remain forever in the form of the very body she despised. It's just not fair, and it hurts me to think of my love like that.

I'm done with this shit. This Pack is so screwed up. No one knows what to do with themselves anymore. They're all whiney and indecisive and flat out mad, especially Louve. I grit my teeth at the thought of the Pack I was once honored to be a part of. They're all so fake. They can all go to Hell and tell me how bloody hot it is. First chance I get, I'm out of here.

I can't even look at Susanne's grave anymore. I prepare to depart, glancing down at my fist which has already begun to heal. I sigh and shove myself up off the ground. As I turn to walk back to the house, the wind is knocked out of me as I'm knocked back to the forest floor.

I blink, surprised and scared. What the hell was that?

'Hello, Cannan.'

"Louve?" I'm confused. That's her voice, but it's twisted and sinister.

'No, I am not that little whore. I am Monique, and you'd better listen to me. We don’t have much time here.'

"What the hell? Is this that voice thing? I thought it was only in Louve."

'I used to be until she started to become stronger. Now I have to leave her every now and then. I usually fry the minds of those I visit, but I'm afraid she may weaken me past being able to continue controlling her if I stick with her for too long. She get's stronger by the second and doesn't even realize it.'

"Well what do you want from me?"

'I want you to listen. You're tired of all of this crap, of all that goes on around here. I can help you get back at the ones who allowed your Susanne to be taken from you, to be killed. But you have to stick with them for a little longer in order to have your revenge.'

"Why should I trust you? You're the one who got her killed in the first place."

'You wolves confuse me with Fate. I can simply see things that are already set in stone to happen. That is what Louve sees in the dreams that I bring her. I do not change fate. Except this once. There are two paths that you can go down now, Cannan. One is where you stay in this Pack for life and never achieve the revenge that will help you eventually move past Susanne. You will stay with these people for the rest of your life, miserable and alone.'

"No! I don't want that!" I trail off and consider a moment. Sighing, I stare ahead at the house full of people I despise. "What's my other choice?"

'You avenge Susanne, and the Pack falls.'

I don't even give it any thought. "You have a deal. What do I have to do?"

'Just keep me in mind. We'll be in touch'

I smile sinisterly as Monique leaves my head, and I walk back to the house.

Monique:
Cannan’s fury is delicious as I drink it in and allow it to fill me.

I watch from Cannan's head as he begins to walk back to the house, thinking that these are the only two options, that I was completely honest with him. Grief has corrupted his mind and sense of judgment.

Stupid dog.

I lied to him. Nothing is ever set in stone. There are always many outcomes. I just prefer to have things play out the way that I want them to. And now I have a puppet in the Pack to carry out my will, the stupid soulless bastard.

I sigh and shake my head, pacing the space that I've carved in Cannan's head for myself. He has no clue what's going to happen. Quite honestly, I don't know either. I haven't decided what I want to happen.

What the boy doesn't know is that in the final outcome, he dies. There's only one case where he won't, and I want to see if all of the pieces fall on the table in his favor.

I decide that he doesn't have to know that little bit of information yet. I want him to keep believing that I'm on his side. In reality, all outcomes have the same causes up until France. In France, all hell will break lose and everything will be decided. For now, I leave the boy's mind, not wanting to harm my vessel just yet. He needs to stay alive and well.

For now.