The Flavor of Your Lips is Enough to Keep Me Here

I've Yet To Break A Sweat

All I did for the next few days was work. I took as many extra shifts as I could. I didn't want to think about what had happened in the past few days. But mostly I didn't want to think about Jack. The last words he said to me before he'd left haunted me; kept playing over and over in my head. I tried to block out what I didn't want to think: did I really love him too?
It was Friday, and I was just about to close up when I heard the door open and close. I didn't want to look up, because I had a sinking feeling that I was going to see the face I'd been trying so desperately to forget. Reluctantly, I looked up. But it wasn't Jack's face I saw, it was Alex's.
"What are you doing here?" I asked flatly. My heart was pounding out of my chest. It was late and I was alone with the person that had already taken advantage of me once.
"Christa, I-I need to talk to you' Alex said. He stepped closer to the dim lights in the front of the store, and I could see the faded bruises and light pink scars on his face. Holy shit, Jack had really messed him up. Me even thinking his name stung.
"I have nothing to say to you, Alex" I said, hoping he'd catch my icy drift and leave.
"Listen, I know you have every right to be mad at me, bu-"
"You're damn right I do" I said, cutting him off.
He sighed before speaking again. "What I did was wrong. No, not wrong, it was immoral, criminal even. But I'm not here to rub salt in your wounds. Listen Christa, Jack is really messed up. I haven't personally talked to him, but Rian says he won't leave his room. All he's been doing is drinking and sleeping. He says he wants to quit the band. You have to go talk to him Christa, please." Alex said
I stared at him for a really long time. I didn't knowing whether to believe him or call the police.
"Give me Rian's number" I said.
Alex wrote it down on a napkin, and I entered it into my phone.
It only rang twice before Rian picked up.
"Hello?"
"Rian, it's Christa" I said.
I heard a sigh of relief from the other end of the line. "Thank god you called. He's really a mess. I don't know what happened to you two, but he needs you" Rian said.
I felt tears pooling in my eyes. I felt like a horrible person. But how was I supposed to know Jack would react like this?
"I'll be there soon" I said, before hanging up much phone.
I stepped out from behind the counter and made my way towards the doors with Alex behind me.
"Come on, we'll take my car" Alex said.
I hesitated, but eventually got in the passenger seat. I sat as close to the door as possible.
We got there in minutes. I sped to the door, knocking frantically. Rian answered. He didn't say anything, he just pointed me in the direction of Jack's room. I stood at the door, turned the knob and opened it. But I wasn't ready for what I saw.
♠ ♠ ♠
dun dun da daaaa