Status: Active

Red Horizon

Choices

Phoenix, Arizona is the city of sunshine. I love the way the sun rays warm my skin. The sun is probably the only thing that hasn't let me down, no matter what, it always lights up the sky here in Phoenix. I close my eyes and take in the sun, soak it into my pores since today would be the last day I will every see sunlight again. I definitely will regret not putting any SPF on.

When I hear my mother close the car trunk, I open my eyes. Her curly hair was in a bun at the top of her head, her thick rimmed sunglasses were cock-eyed and her white v-neck was coming apart at the hem. I always wished I had her clear, blue eyes. No, instead I had to receive the albino gene with poop brown eyes and frizzy brown hair. I watch her sigh, the worry lines on her forehead becoming more apparent.

When she notices me looking at her she smiles, "Well Bella, are you sure you want to do this?"
This was only the billionth time so far and the thousandth time today she's asked me this question. I decided to move in with my father after my mother's boyfriend, Ryan, proposed to her. Even though Ryan insisted on my staying and my mother tried to talk me into staying, I came to the conclusion that my mom didn't need me anymore. She would have the support from Ryan. Bills would be paid, food was be on the table, and she would have someone talk to. And besides, my father was a mystery to me. My mother left with me when I was still a baby, and moved to Phoenix where she met Ryan. She left her job, her husband, her friends, her life in order to start fresh. My mother had always been a quirky woman, but I loved her anyways. My father stayed in the same house in Forks, Washington-a town with consistent rain and no light. Whenever I visited my father in the summer I remembered to bring a flashlight, just in case. I stopped visiting Forks when I turned 16, instead going on vacation with Charlie, my father, in California. I didn't want to waste my summer wearing rain boots and holding an umbrella. My father was known as Chief Charlie Swan, the head police in Forks. Charlie and I were still in the awkward stage, we were never good with words. Other than that there isn't much of Forks that I remember, I tend to block out things that spoil my mood.

"Positive", I nod. I was always bad at lying. But, I've been saying this for so long, I almost believe it now. As i get up off the porch steps, I wipe the back off my shorts off and make my way to the passenger side of my mother's car. It's a blue 1992 Honda civic with rusty rims, bought new by my father as a gift. It never hit me why my mother had always kept it all this time. Maybe because it ran good, had no problems, and was good on gas? Even though it's true I know the real reason why. A part of my mother doesn't want to let go of the past. I guess I got my lying skills from my mother.

I toss my rain coat, boots, mittens, and scarf behind me in the back seat of the car. I will definitely need those later. My mother slips in the driver's side, the radio already turned to the 80's station. I watch my house fade away through the side mirror as we cruise down the road, heading to the airport.

Honestly, I wasn't really missing much in Phoenix, besides my mother. I had a few classmates at school I could talk to about homework with, but that was about it. In lunch, I spent my time in the library, always getting ahead on homework. I'm not a nerd, of course, I just liked to be alone. I prefer it that way, just so I don't make a fool of myself. I have the tendency to say or do something stupid. Of course I got asked to hang out once in a while, but I wasn't the type to go shopping at the mall or hang out at the bowling alley for fun. My mother always said I was born 35 and got more middle-aged every year. I couldn't disagree with that fact. I had always been more mature than even my own mom. The only best friend I'd ever had was my mother, though. She brought out the child in me once in a while.

"Well, Annabella", my mother's voice is soft, I couldn't tell if her eyes were wet because of her sunglasses. I hate when people call me by my whole name, but I don't intervene, "You promised to e-mail me every night until you earn enough for a cell phone."

I don't have a problem with e-mailing. It's much faster and easier than mailing a letter, but cell phones erk me. Wherever I go with a cell phone, I can be found. Basically, I will have no alone time. Texts will fill up my afternoon. I shiver at the thought of texting my mother 24/7 and receiving 100 missed calls, all sent to voice mail.

"I will e-mail you every night", I say, leaving out the part about the cell phone. I hope she forgets about it, not likely. My mother has the memory of an elephant.

"Good", my mother sniffs and wipes her nose with a tissue. I also got my sensitivity from my mom, all though I never cry in front of people like she seems to do.

"Mom." My face is hot and my palms are getting clammy. I hold back the tears, I am not crying. I always save it for night time, where I cry myself to sleep.

"It's just, my baby girl is leaving", her sun kissed cheeks are rosy red and glossy with tears. I wait for her to finish wiping her face before I decide to talk. I hate people who cry. It makes me get all emotional, and then I get awkward.

"One day this was bound to happen", I remind her, "College, work force, my own family. I have to separate sometime, it's not healthy for me to be trapped in one place. I want to get out, explore." It was all true. The only thing false is about going to Forks. I hate Forks. I remind myself that my hate towards Forks is what my mother installed in me.

"That's exactly what I told your father before I left", she says faintly.

"I need this more than anything, mom", I lie, "Besides, it gives me somewhere warm to visit." I try to make this all positive for my mother, but I'm her only child. She can't let go of me.

This makes her smile though, "You better be planning lot's of visits Bella! We'll be expecting you."
On this note, I turn up the radio and let my hand wander out the window, loving the warm breeze that hits my whole arm. I will definitely miss these moments with my mother, all the free spirited adventures.

My mind wanders to Forks. I guess my father hooked me up with a job at a diner part-time. Supposedly his one paycheck won't be enough for the both of us. But, I'm not complaining, extra cash will come in handy anyways. It will also give me an excuse to not hang out with my new classmates, not that they probably will want to anyway. This scares me even more. There was over a 800 kids in my class in Phoenix. My father mentioned that there is barely 800 kids in high school at Forks. The students at Forks all know each other, grew up together. Their grandparents probably went to school together. I will be an outcast, or even worst-center of attention. At a small school, I will stick out like a sore thumb. Even better. Four for you Bella! You go Bella! Ugh.

The rest of the ride to the airport is in silence. My mother knows me best. After our goodbyes, I'm put on the plane. My ride is from Phoenix to Seattle, where my father will pick me up in his cruiser and drive me the rest of the way to Forks-about an hour or so away. I listen to my iPod the whole time, trying not to think that I'm thousands of feet in the air. My luck the plane will hit Heaven and I'll go crashing down to Hell. Just wonderful.

I wake up to the sound of the pilot coming over the intercom. His voice is deep and raspy, "Welcome to Seattle, I hope you had a great ride. Please grab you luggage over your seat and be caref..." Yadda, yadda, yadda. I slowly drown him out. I look outside my window seat and to the sky. No more sun, but there's lot's of clouds to the north, that must be Forks.
♠ ♠ ♠
I will only post if there's feedback. Thanks for reading.