Heartbeat

Better Than Me

There was something wrong with Niall.

It started just over two months ago, the first time he turned down going out with us. The lads and I were all going out for a drink, and we called him. When he said he couldn't come, he stumbled over excuses, and finally just hung up. Every time we invited him out since then, he'd done the same.

And Niall isn't one to turn down a pint for no reason.

We all noticed it, but no one knew why. Over the short period of time when he started acting strange, he'd slowly retracted himself from us. The only person who saw him on a regular basis was his girlfriend, Nevaeh.

We met Nev on the X-Factor, where she was a sound intern. The two of them got on instantly, always talking and flirting before our performances. It wasn't until a few months after X-Factor that they started dating, and then she was around all the time. Out of all the boys (besides Niall, of course), her and I got along the best. We talked a lot, almost daily, so I asked her if she noticed anything strange about him, and the only thing she was said was he was spending more time with her than usual. That was it.

I'd asked her that just over a week previous, and hadn't seen or heard from Niall since then. I was worried, we all were. No one had even the slightest idea what might be upsetting him, and when we asked, he changed the subject.

I was about to send him a text, when my phone lit up with a new message, instead. It immediately opened it when I saw who it was.


1 New Message from Nevaeh:
Niall left me.

Anyone who knew Niall and Nevaeh knew they were a forever thing. Nevaeh thought Niall could do no wrong, and supported him no matter what. Every time he needed her, or even wanted to see her, she'd show up as quickly as possible. The two were inseparable, basically. They practically lived together, they went out together, they were virtually joined at the hip. When Niall looked at her, everyone saw it. He looked at her like she'd painted each star in the sky individually for him, and we all knew she would if she could.

On more than one occasion I recalled Niall having a little too much to drink and gushing about how he was going to marry her someday for hours. He told us she was the one, and he'd never leave her... Not one of his friends or family didn't believe him.

Niall would never leave Nevaeh. He'd sooner die.

There was definitely something wrong.

---

"Hey, it's Niall. I can't get to the phone right now, but leave a message and I promise I'll get back to you soon."

Beep

I'd called five times. Each time, it went straight to voice mail. I'd left him messages, asking him to get back to me, but I had doubts he would. He had been slowly shutting himself out for weeks... maybe, this was it for a while. Something had to be going on if he didn't want us involved.

Nevaeh had called me shortly after the first text in hysterics. She told me how he'd abruptly said he was leaving her and he wouldn't explain why. She cried to me, and I couldn't even imagine how Niall could have done that to her. She was so fragile, so sweet and loving... I would never hurt her in any way if I could help it. He loved her more than I did, so I didn't understand how he could.

I called him one more time, and once again it went straight to voice mail. I sighed, putting my phone down, and plopping down on the couch. I had a relentless, uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop. I cared about Nev... more than I should have. She was absolutely perfect in my eyes, from her blonde hair, blue eyes and bubble gum lips to her knobby knees, the freckles on her collar bone, and the long scar running up her left forearm. I noticed these things, but it was worse that I adored them. That was Niall's girl, he was the one that was supposed to adore her flaws and everything else. But then again... she wasn't Niall's girl anymore.

I wouldn't admit to anyone that the thought of her finally single made me slightly happy. I had every intention of taking that little bit of information with me to my grave. I couldn't feel the things I felt for her. Niall was one of my best mates.

A knock on my door shook me from my thoughts, and I got up to open it. I didn't even think of who it might be, but I guessed it could have been Nev. She had a tendency to show up unannounced. I opened the door, and a familiar blonde boy barged in without saying a word.

"Niall? What the fuck?"

As soon as I saw him, all the fears that something was wrong were confirmed. He was thin, his shirt hanging far too loosely off his chest, his cheeks were hollow, and pale, and his eyes were dead. He looked down at the floor, almost like he could tell the more I looked at him, the more I worried.

"I need you to do something for me."

"Niall, what are you doing here?" I asked, but he still wouldn't meet my eyes. "Nev is devastated, mate."

Suddenly, his head jerked up, and his eyes were locked on mine. "You talked to her?"

"I wouldn't call it talking. All she did was cry..."

Niall didn't say a word. He let out a low, strangled groan as he slid down the wall, his head in his hands. If I didn't know better, it was almost like he'd just gotten to news of her death. He looked sick to his stomach, like he was about to completely fall apart.

I was confused. After all, he was the one who broke up with her. He had a choice in that matter, he chose this pain for himself, for her... Why was he so upset? Nev would take him back if he regretted it... no matter what he did.

"Harry, please can you just do something for me? No questions asked?"

Part of me really wanted to say no. He looked like a complete stranger, not the Niall I knew and it didn't sit well with me. Part of me desperately just wanted him gone, away from me. I was shell-shocked, everything was wrong about this whole situation... But, despite that, Niall was one of my best friends. I didn't even think I could say no if I tried.

"Fine," I sighed out, seeing Niall's dull eyes light up slightly. "What is it?"

He dug down into his pockets, and pulled out a neatly folded piece of notebook paper, then thrusted it into my hand. "This, give it to Nev. Not now, give it to her... later."

"What in the hell do you mean by later, Niall?" I groaned, looking over the note in my hands.

"You'll know when."

I highly doubted I'd know when. Niall was expecting a lot from me here, and I didn't exactly know why he chose me. Out of all our friends, why me? They could all easily give Nevaeh a note, just as well as I could. They probably wouldn't snoop either, like I intended to... "Okay, whatever you say..."

Finally, he picked himself up off the floor and stood before me, before promptly heading back to my front door.

"Niall!"

He didn't even look back at me before leaving. He simply opened the door, and disappeared through it. I stood for a moment, just staring at the door, thinking maybe he'd come back and explain this madness. However, he didn't, and the note was weighing heavy in my hands.

I knew I shouldn't look at it. This was between Niall, and Nev, and it was definitely not my business at all. It was obviously personal, if Niall couldn't even face giving it to her himself... He was a ridiculously care-free guy, so if this note frightened him, it had to be something bad. Regardless, I slowly opened the folded paper, and started reading.

Dear Nevaeh,

I know this is silly, in fact, you're probably really mad. I know you hate stupid notes and letters, but I just couldn't stand seeing you upset. How was I supposed to tell you this? I wouldn't be able to deal if I saw your reaction. So, you're gonna have to suck it up and read this note.

First, you need to know I love you. I love you more than I have ever loved another human being in this world. When I look at you... I see everything I could ever have wanted. A best friend, a lover, my biggest fan... Nev, you're everything to me. Through thick and thin, we always loved each other. I was a real dick to you sometimes, I know I was... and you forgave me. I have no idea why you did, I didn't deserve it... but I'm glad that I've been with you thus far.

Every date we went on, the nights we spent awake, every single moment was amazing. You have this thing about you, Nev, you could always make me smile. Forgive me for being cheesy, but you were my sunlight. I never told you a lot of things, and I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt you, and now, I have no other choice.

Please, be happy for me. Find someone who loves you just as much as I did, but will be able to care for you in ways I couldn't. Treat him just the way you treated me... make him happy.

One more thing for this note... and I know it sounds selfish, but please don't forget about me, Nev. And don't forget I love you, and I always will.

-Niall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, the POV switches every chapter from Nevaeh to Harry. Just so you knooow
Tell me what you think.
Image