Status: Hey guys! This is my first story on Mibba. i hope you enjoy it :D i have already posted quite a bit of it wattpad but i was looking to expand my viewership and get more critiques...so please tell me what you guys think of think of it :D Happy Reading! :D

A Bride for the Eternal Bachelor

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Stray cats and dogs were fine. Never in her entire life had Sydney imagined that her philanthropic daughter would get home a human being- a stranger human being at that. Jessica was currently giving Ashton a detailed tour of their modest 2 bedroom flat while Sydney was in the kitchen making coffee for their guest still reeling from the night’s events. Under normal circumstances she would have swooned at the sight of him in her house, as even she had to admit that she had a soft spot for the actor in her heart. But reviewing this night's events she couldn't help but be a little miffed with him.

"Mommy, we can take him to see Patches tomorrow, can't we?" Jess asked entering the kitchen dragging Ashton Kingman behind her. €

"I am sure he has better things to do." Sydney replied stiffly.

"Yeah, your mother's right. I do have a couple of events to go to," Ashton Kingman agreed.

“Well, this is a first,” Sydney thought, sarcastically.

"So can you come for dinner?" Jess persisted.

Ashton didn't know how to say no. He was pretty floored by the adorable Jessica with soft brown hair like a mother and matching eyes. Her room was filled with his posters, and he really wanted to spend some more time with her but he didn't want to antagonize her plump but pretty mother further. He had already taken advantage of her hospitality and breached her home when she clearly didn't want him. But he just wanted an escape from the film industry. He was tired of the everyday controversies and going back to the hotel meant more drama. He wanted an escape and the charming mother-daughter duo provided just that. And plus she had intrigued him when she glared at him, daring him to accept Jessica's offer; and Ashton Kingman loved a challenge.

"Jess, you have school tomorrow. Come on, go to bed now," Sydney said, relieving Ashton from the pressure of saying no Jessica.

Jessica grumbled but didn't oppose her mother, "Goodnight" she said to Ashton and kissed his cheek. Ashton took a step back in surprise and watched Jessica go into her bedroom.

"Look, I really want to apologize to you about tonight," Ashton said. "I know you didn't want me to come here tonight and I pretty much forced my way in. I am really sorry about that.”
Sydney studied the actor with narrow eyes. He sounded sincere enough.
“You know what? Let’s make a deal. You tell me why you did it and my forgiveness is yours,” she said.
“Quite the negotiator, aren’t you?” Ashton said, looking amused.
Sydney looked at him expectantly as he mused over the deal.
"Okay," he agreed finally. "I just wanted a break from Hollywood. Films, drama, controversies can be a bit suffocating at times..." He trailed off staring outside the window thoughtfully. Finally, he shook his head as if getting rid of a bad thought. "Anyway, so you forgive me?"
"Yeah, I forgive you," Sydney said thoughtfully and sipped her own coffee. It wasn't the explanation she was looking for but it was acceptable.
They both finished the beverage in compatible silence and then came the big question- where should the superstar crash in for the night?
"I can totally sleep on the couch," Ashton offered. "Just give me a blanket and pillow; I don't get sleep without them" he said sheepishly.
"Yes, I know you can, but Jess has a bunk bed in her room," Sydney said. "She wanted to sleep on the top bunk that's why we purchased it. Though in the end she backed out and never used it. So if your not scared of heights you can sleep there." She grinned playfully.
"You are talking to the man who has jumped off a hundred and fifty feet tower," Ashton said, raising his eyebrow at her cockiness.
"Oh, are you sure that was not a stunt double?" Sydney lead the way to her bedroom to get pillows and blankets from him
His mouth dropped open as he followed in her wake and she giggled at his dumbfounded expression.
"Mrs. Smith, you are quite a comedian, huh?" He took the pillow she was offering and lightly hit her shoulder in reprimand.
"Did you just hit me? You are so gone now. And by the way its Ms. Smith"
"Bring it on then, Ms. Smith."
He was rewarded with a pillow flying straight at his face. He defended with his own pillow and they continued sparing with their make shift swords.
"You are so dead," Ashton swore after Sydney had delivered a well placed blow to his chest.
Sydney giggle in response and dived behind the bed to dodge the incoming pillow and found herself face first on the floor as the blanket gave way beneath her feet. There was a loud Thump and her face met with the floor.
"Oww,"
"Oh my god, I am so sorry. Are you alright," Ashton immediately bent down and helped her sit up. He pressed his hands on her forehead where a nasty bump was forming.
"Apply pressure here while I go get a ice pack," Ashton instructed.
He was back in five minutes with ice wrapped in a towel. He pressed the bundle to her forehead and she shivered as the cold seeped in.
The situation is so bizarre, Sydney thought. The oh-so macho Ashton Kingman tending to her bruised forehead in her house. Abruptly, a giggle escaped her unsuspecting mouth. She clasped her hands on her mouth trying to contain the next set but it was pretty much useless. A full on laughter attack took control of her,
"Oh my god," she gasped. "My stomach hurts.
Ashton grinned at her prostate form where she desperately trying to control her laughter. His grin transformed into laughter as Sydney once again hit her head- this time on the bed as she flayed about on the floor. Soon even he was clutching his stomach as delighted sounds of their combined laughter filled the room.
"Make it stop!" Sydney pleaded as she erupted into another set of giggles.
"Oh my god, that was fun," Ashton stated, wiping a tear as they both gained control of their glee.
"Yeah," Sydney agreed, a soft smile adorning her face. "I haven't laughed this hard since..." She trailed off and her smile vanished as she thought of Jessica's dad.
Ashton noted her sudden melancholy-filled look and wondered what was bothering her. He also wanted to inquire about Jessica's dad but didn't know how best to breach the subject. After all, he had just met them. He couldn't just start poking and prodding into their personal lives and so far Sydney hadn't been forthcoming about any information.
"I guess we should go to sleep now," Ashton got up from the floor and gathered the pillows and blankets lying on the floor courtesy their pillow fight. And what a fight it was, Ashton thought. He took one pillow and blanket for himself and deposited the rest on the bed. By this time, Sydney had come back from the trip down to memory lane and led him to Jessica's room where her daughter was sleeping soundly.
"She looks so peaceful," Ashton commented with the awe that he was feeling clearly etched on his face. He was sure that he didn't look so serene while asleep.
"Yeah, you can spend the entire night watching her sleep," Sydney's eyes were filled with love in a way that only a mother's eyes could be filled as she stroked her daughter's cheek.
Ashton felt a strange stirring at the pit of his stomach as he stared upon the mother daughter pair. Even he wanted someone to love and cherish. Sure, he was labeled as the eternal bachelor but it wasn't by choice. The only woman he had met were the ones after Ashton Kingman's celebrity status and not the man himself. Well, not all, he thought focusing on the lovely mother in front of him. Startled by his own thoughts, he quickly clambered on to the top bunk
"I hope I don't fall off," he commented and was rewarded with Sydney's grin just as he had hoped.
"Good night," she said softly.
"'Night"
Sydney made her way to her room and got on between the sheets on her side of the bed. Though, no one had ever slept in this bed beside her, she couldn't bear to occupy the entire bed as she felt that someone should be on the other side even if she had given up on the dreams of getting married. So, thinking about that certain someone, she fell into a peaceful sleep that had escaped her for so many years.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys! chapter 2 is here!! thanks for the recommendations and comments!! :D i hope you like this chapter as well...
Happy Reading! :D