Status: Active

Guilty

There was the brief sound of static as the audio tape began to play. A boy’s voice began to speak: “I hope this finds someone,” the voice said. “Someone... Willing to listen.” There was a brief pause and the sound of shuffling. “This is tape one. My name is Ashton Benjamin Harper. I’m eighteen years old. I am five foot ten, medium-build, with black hair and dark blue eyes. You have probably heard my name and description a thousand times on the news. I am wanted for theft, arson, rape, manslaughter, assault and murder.”

“And kidnapping, Ace,” a girl’s voice interjected.

The boy laughed. “And kidnapping. Six months ago, I kidnapped Dylan Rose Hart, age seventeen, five foot seven, slender, honey-blonde hair, brown eyes.”

“You forgot cute-as-a-button.”

The boy scoffed. “What police reports have you been listening to, Dylan?”

“The correct ones, obviously.” There was a brief silence. “Sorry. We both know none of them are right, Ash. We know the truth. We’re gonna fix it. Somehow.”

“Right.” All lightness had gone out of the boy’s voice. “My name is Ash Harper, and I’m going to tell you the truth.”
  1. Tape I, Scene I - 0 : 04 : 56 : 77
    In which Ash is accused.
  2. Tape I, Scene II - 0 : 09 : 56 : 82
    In which Ash and Dylan try to get help.
  3. Tape I, Scene III - 0 : 15 : 21 : 75
    In which Dylan and Ash go to Portsmouth.
  4. Tape I, Scene IV - 0 : 20 : 12 : 71
    In which Ash and Dylan listen to the news.
  5. Tape I, Scene V - 0 : 25 : 17 : 57
    In which Ash and Dylan run someone over.
  6. Tape I, Scene VI - 0 : 28 : 36 : 03
    In which Ash dreams.