‹ Prequel: Sunday in New York
Sequel: Mirrors

Here With Me

twenty-six.

Image

April 7th, Sunday

The sounds of laughter were all around and the distant delighted screams and the roar of a roller coaster made me smile. Today was a good day. Hudson was helping me put on a sweater from the gift shop that he had just bought for me, and a similar one for himself.

"Does this one fit?" He asked as I zipped it up, I looked up at him feeling pretty tired from the day and smiled. "Perfectly."

"Great. Now c'mon, time to go back to the hotel, we can order room service." He smiled placing the mouse ears on my head. He took my hand and led me along as we walked through the crowds.

Back at the hotel I was wearing sweatpants and one of his shirts, stretched out on the bed and going through the final notes and looking at the photos I took of Billie Joe this weekend. Hudson sat on the other bed playing with an iPad mini, a gift his dad sent him for his birthday, while also taking international phone calls regarding the restaurant. I had also just gotten off the phone with my doctor's nurse, just confirming my appointment for Tuesday; it was time for my yearly screening for kidney problems. So far nothing's been wrong, so I'm hoping that this year will be the same.

"We came to California for a vacation and here we are still focussing on work." I chuckled, organizing my papers that were strewn out on the bed. He laughed and looked up at me, "Sorry."

I just smiled, then there was a knock at the door and a low murmur stating that they were room service. He grinned, "Saved by the...bell boy? No...room service guy? I don't know where I was going with that." He chuckled getting up to go answer the door.

He was just finishing up paying for the food when he came back pushing the cart past me toward the table by the window.

"Dinner is served." He chuckled, waving his hand over the food like he was one of the ladies from The Price is Right. I smiled and laughed, turning off the t.v and going to take a seat at the table. For a moment I gazed out at the gorgeous view as the sun set over Malibu beach.

"I love it here." I gave a soft sigh. It's quite the opposite of New York; in the city there's constant traffic and skyscrapers preventing you from seeing the sunset; here, you could go for a walk in shorts and a t-shirt and not have to worry about the cold, or longboard around and not have to worry about traffic on the sidewalks.

"It is lovely, it's been awhile since I've been here. It's nice to be back." He smiled, starting to eat his fries.

"When was the last time you were here?" I asked.

He thought for a moment as he chewed, when he swallowed he still looked as if he was thinking, so I began eating too. "About...three years ago I believe. I came here with some friends for the weekend." I just nodded and continued eating, then a thought came to mind.

Again I looked up at him and had a small smile, "Can I ask you something? Like, about your past?"

He looked uneasy but flashed a quick smile and nodded.

"How many women have you dated before me?" I grinned, eager to know the answer. His expression became an amused one and he lightly laughed, "You want to know how many women I've dated?"

I nodded.

"Uh...well, let's see..." Again he thought for a moment, looking as if he was counting in his mind. "Um, give or take, 13-14 girls."

I stopped eating and stared at him. I then started to giggle, "Are you serious?" He looked nervous as he nodded, "Yeah..."

"So you were a ladies' man. Hm." I chuckled. "So I guess I was the lucky one."

"The lucky one?"

"You know, the one you decided to settle down with." I smirked. He looked up at me and sighed, "Now don't go saying I settled for you. I wanted you and I still do."

"I know." I smiled, taking a bite of my burger. After a while of eating in silence and gazing out the window, I turned back to him after taking a sip of my Sprite. "So, being with 13-14 other girls, were there any serious relationships or was it more like a Barney Stinson thing?"

"Uh, it was mostly casual dating. Maybe about two-three girls a year, sometimes four. The longest I dated a girl was for three years." He continued looking out the window. I watched him, feeling like I crossed the line. "Is this uncomfortable for you to talk about?"

He looked at me. "Sort of."

"Why?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I mean, I knew sooner or later you'd ask about my dating history, I just...I don't know, I feel bad about it, you know?"

I gave a small laugh, "Bad? Why? I know plenty of people who have dated way more than 13 or 14."

"I don't know, I guess I just like the idea of you being the one. Like, the only one." He half-smiled. I gazed across the table at him and flashed my comforting smile, "I like that idea too. But it's okay that you dated about 7 times more people than I have. Don't worry about it." I made him laugh. "I'll stop asking about it."

He gave a sigh of relief and smiled. "We'll just save it for another time, alright?"

I nodded and continued eating, "So, who was this girl of three years?"

"Avery." He rolled his eyes and I started to laugh. "Just kidding!"

"But let's go for a walk later, along the beach." I smiled.

* * *

I loved the feel of sand between my toes as we walked along the beach. I stopped and hugged him, kissing his chin. "Whenever I listen to the old No Doubt songs, they remind me of you. I've been listening to No Doubt nonstop since we arrived here."

He smiled that perfect smile of his and kissed me, running his fingers through my hair. "I'm glad." He wrapped his arms around me and sat us down in the sand. "You're just really cool, you know that?"

I rolled my eyes and held up my hands, "I know, I know." I laughed.

"But no, like really. I'm glad I ended up with a girl like you. You're this chill, cultured, laid-back hippie chick without the nasty dreads and lack of hygiene. You're just this super cool American girl."

"With this super hot British guy. And thank you for the hippie chick reference." I giggled, lying in the sand and once again burying my feet. "Sometimes I forget you're British."

He started to laugh, "How?"

I grinned, "I don't know, I guess I've just grown used to your accent. But reality hits me when you call fries 'chips' and chips 'crisps.' That's when I remember you're from London."

He laid down next to me, using his elbow to prop himself up to look down at me. "I'll try to get the fries and chips things right."

I smiled and stroked his face. "Don't. I like when you have different names for things. It's cute."

"Well I think when we move to London you'll just get laughed at for calling chips 'fries.' Then you'll be the alien." He grinned.

"So when are we going to London?"

"Like, to move there?"

I nodded.

"Well...the restaurant is still in the process of renovations, but the contractor said things are going quicker than expected, so...whenever I guess. Whenever you're ready."

I watched him and smiled, leaning in to give him a quick kiss. "I'm actually kind of excited to go. I think we should go soon. I kinda need a break from...New York. A change of scenery would be nice, and I've yet to see the restaurant!"

He eagerly smiled, looking relieved. "Really? I'm glad you feel that way. I can't wait for us to go." I smiled and nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
one. more. chapter.