‹ Prequel: Sunday in New York
Sequel: Mirrors

Here With Me

four.



It was quarter after six when I came back from work, feeling more exhausted than usual, a sign of low blood sugar. As I came into the apartment, I placed my keys onto the table as I called out, "Hudson, I'm home," figuring he was in the bathroom since I heard the shower turn off. I walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge, taking out a bottle of juice and leaning against the counter as I dug through my purse to find my blood glucose monitor, so I could take a test just to make sure.

The bathroom door opened and I looked up, ready to start talking, but instead started to scream.

"Who are you?!" I screamed, stumbling backward as I stared at the man with the towel around his waist. I fumbled as I tried opening the drawer, when I finally did, I accidentally grabbed a ladle. I threw it at him and grabbed a chef's knife from the knife block.

He dodged the ladle and waved his hands, "No, don't freak out, I'm Jack! Hudson's friend!"

"How do I know you're not lying?" I was shaking, holding the knife close.

"If I broke into your place, why would I take a shower?" He furrowed his brow and shook his head, "Hudson let me in, I came in from London a few hours ago."

I bit my lip, he got me. The front door then opened and Hudson walked in carrying a paper bag of groceries. He was shocked when he saw me with the knife and "Jack" in nothing but a towel.

"Hudson, who is this?" I asked.

"Avery, I forgot to tell you, this is my mate Jack. I recruited him from London to come work at the restaurant. Put the knife down, and we can talk about this." Hudson held his hands up and looked at me in bewilderment.

I put down the knife and took in a deep breath.

"I must've forgotten to tell you, but we've been needing help around the restaurant lately, so I called up our friend, Jules and I, from London. We went to school with him. This is Jack Connolly."

"Oh." I cautiously walked toward Jack and held out my hand. He shook my hand and chuckled, "It's lovely to finally meet Holby's wife. Sorry for...scaring you."

I blushed and lightly laughed. "It's alright. I'm sorry for...pulling a knife on you." I turned and walked up to Hudson, kissing his cheek and wrapping my arm around him.

"So, Jack will you be staying with us?" I asked.

"Oh, no. I'm gonna stay with Jules, he was busy earlier so Hudson brought me here from the airport." Jack replied.

"Oh, well then you'll have to join us tonight at McGees." I smiled.

"McGees? A pub I'm guessing?" He chuckled.

I nodded, "Yeah, that's our hangout."

"Cool, I'm up for a drink...or five." He laughed.

"Okay, well we should go soon, I'm just gonna go uh, change." I excused myself and went to the bedroom so I could check my blood sugar. Soon Hudson came in and when he saw what I was doing, quickly shut the door behind him and came to my side with a look of concern over his face.

"Is everything alright? Are you feeling okay? Maybe we shouldn't go out tonight if you're feeling bad." He placed a hand on my knee.

I chuckled, "Sweetie, relax. I was feeling a little dizzy earlier. I'm just still tired from the flight and still trying to adjust to New York life again. I'm okay." I reassured him, kissing his cheek.

He hesitated but nodded, "Alright, but if you're not feeling good you need to promise you'll tell me, I'm bringing you straight home."

I watched him for a moment and sighed, nodding, looking down to read the level on the monitor.

"...I just want to take care of you...I panic...I'm sorry if I'm coddling you, I'm just...losing you would be the worst thing I could ever imagine." He looked down.

I lightly smiled and snaked my arms around him, kissing his shoulder and then resting my head on it. "I know. But don't worry, I'm fine. You won't lose me."

He half-smiled at me.

At the bar after about an hour and a half and a few drinks, Hudson and I were dancing to the music playing on the jukebox while Amelia got acquainted with Jack. Hudson twirled me around and then held me close to him as we danced to some old mo-town tunes.

He kissed my neck and then nuzzled in close to my ear, "We danced to this song, after the ceremony. Our first dance."

My eyes were closed and I smiled and nodded, remembering it like it was yesterday. "Yeah, You and Me by Penny and the Quarters."

"You first showed that song to me in your car, when we drove out to Montauk and sat on the hood of your car listening to it along with the sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks. That was a good night." He smiled.

I smiled back and noticed Amelia getting flirty with Jack while Jules rolled his eyes at them. I laughed, "I think Jules is getting annoyed."

Hudson looked over his shoulder and chuckled, "Jack's a playboy, always has been, always will. It looks like Jules is getting jealous."

"You don't think...?" I furrowed my brow and looked at Hudson.

"He's gay?" He asked in his deadpan humour, making me laugh out loud.

"Not that!" I laughed, "No, do you think he likes Amelia?"

"I wouldn't doubt it. They've spent a lot of time together while we were gone." He shrugged his shoulders.

"Hmm." I made a face.

"Are you thinking the same thing as me? It consists of two words?" He asked.

"I think so. Is it, uh oh?" I grinned.

He laughed and nodded. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, I AM SO SORRY I haven't updated in like, forever! I've been so so busy and as a result completely and utterly tired and exhausted. But I've updated, sorry if it's sub-par, but I'm still so tired.

But do Comment and Subscribe...

...i love you...please don't leave me...lol, (I'm so tired)