The Ship of Dreams

Trapped



Frank sat at the table next to his mother and Bert staring off into space. He sat with his back straight and his hands folded neatly on his black pants. His red tie almost touching his hands. His green eyes sparkled when the chandler hit them, but nobody noticed. He would cough and it seemed like nobody even heard him. He probably could run around screaming and people would just carry on. Because that's how the high class worked. They kept their noses in their own business and only acted like they ruled the world around them. That's why Frank didn't fit in. Yes, he was everything a young man should be, but inside he was screaming for help.

He felt as if nobody cared for him. Bert used him for reasons he didn't like to discuss in front of anyone. His mother was making that possible by forcing him into this marriage. The "friends" he had he wasn't going to see anymore because none are on the ship with him. So, sitting there in that chair at dinner he thought of a way out. The only way he knew out...

"Excuse me." He said silently, getting up.

"Oh hurry back darling, dessert is coming out." Bert winked.

Frank only half smiled before leaving the dinner room. After he was out of the tables sight, he ran. He ran as quick as he could, sudden tears forming his once sparkling eyes. He tried wiping them, but they only came back. He started at the front of the ship and made his way to the back. Where nobody was, and he knew nobody would follow. He bumped into an elderly couple walking along the deck. The only looked at him with concern and kept walking.

On a bench on the lower deck by the back of ship laid Gerard. His eyes scanning the sky as the stars moved along. He thought of how beautiful they were as he took a long drag of his cigarette and laid his head back. As he laid stretched out he heard someone run past him quickly. As he sat up to look he saw a young man run past, and he swore he saw tears on his face.

Frank sighed deeply as his sobs calmed down. He grabbed onto a bench before walking slowly to the rail. His eyes struck with fear as he stared at his shallow grave. He took a deep breath and a gulp before looking back to see nobody there. He looked up and reached for the pole to help lift himself over the rail before he deep dive into the Atlantic. The clock ticked as he stood on the other side of the rail, both hands griping the metal with fear and desire to jump. He sniffed up and closed his eyes when a voice entered his ears.

"Don't do it." It was calm.

He turned his head and saw a taller man then him, with black hair, and jacket that looked like it wasn't doing much against the cold breeze.

"Stay back!" Frank yelled scaring the man.

"...Please I can help you back over." He moved closer to Frank.

"Stay back! I'm warning I'll jump." Frank said shaking from the anticipation.

Gerard took one last drag before throwing it in the ocean.

"You know...If you jump, I'll come in after you." He was serious.

"What? Don't be naive...You'll be killed!" Frank looked at Gerard like he was crazy.

"But, I'm involved now...I have to do it." Gerard took off the useless jacket and Frank looked back at the water.

"You know that water down there...It's pretty cold." He said making Frank took another deep breath.

"How cold?" He looked at Gerard for an answer.

"About freezing, maybe a few degrees over..But, it's like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body." He saw the look on Frank's face and started to get a little hopeful his plan was working.

"Ever been to Minnesota?"

"What?" Frank looked annoyed.

"Yea, well my dad and me went ice fishing there...Ice fishing is when-"

"I know what ice fishing is!" Frank snapped.

"Oh...Sorry, you just look like an in-door boy." He rolled his eyes." Well, anyway I fell through some thin ice and it felt like that water right down there...Freezing." He was done unlacing his shoes and had them removed. "That's why I'm hoping you'll come back over here and let me off the hook."

Frank sighed and looked at Gerard for a minute.

"So? What do you say?" He put his hand out to Frank and Frank looked at it for a second then turned around to grab it. "Gerard." He smiled as Frank was fully turned and almost to safety.

"Frank Iero." Frank smiled as Gerard smiled in response.

"Sweet last name...Okay come on." He almost had Frank over the rail when Franks foot slipped and he started to fall. Dangling from the ship, only being held up by Gerard.

"It's okay! Pull yourself up! Come on!"

"Help me! Oh my god!" Frank started to cry out of fear and held onto Gerard's hand as tight as he could. He attempted to pull himself up but, couldn't do it. He was to focused on the fear rushing through his blood. Gerard had all his strength in trying to pull Frank up, but needed Frank to pull himself up.

"Frank! Listen to me! I need you to pull yourself up! Come on, you can do this! Trust me." He looked deep in Frank's eyes and Frank tried again to pull himself up, and he did. Quickly Gerard lifted him over the rail as he had Frank up. Frank felt relief, but still scared out of his mind as the two tumbled over the rail onto the deck where four people where just coming up the steps to see them. Gerard on top of Frank, who was still teary eyed and shaking.

"Get off him! Move!" One yelled as another helped Frank up and wrapped a blanket around him.

"How dare you touch my fiance!" The guy Gerard learned to be Bert yelled at him.

"Bert." Frank calmly said. "It was an accident!" He yelled over everyone, making them stop.

"An accident?" One man said looking at her.

"Yes, I uh was leaning over the rail to see the uh..the uhh." Frank made a circular movement with his finger thinking of what to say.

"Propellers?" Bert asked.

"Yes! The propellers and I slipped and mister Way here saved me." He smiled.

"Is that the way it happened mister Way?" The officer asked.

Gerard stood looking at Frank for a second then back at the officer.

"Yes." He simply answered leaving everyone else happy.

"Well, then the boys a hero!" A man next to Bert said.

"Yes indeed. Thank you, and uhm goodnight." Bert took Franks shoulders in his hand pushing him in front of him to walk.

"Aren't you going to give something to boy?" An officer asked.

"...Jepha I'm sure a 20 should cover it."

"Is that what saving the love of your life costs?" Frank took Bert back with his outburst.

"Oh, Frank is unhappy...What to do?" Bert looked up for a second then walked over to Gerard.

"Care to join us at diner tomorrow? Tell your story of how you saved young Frank here?" Bert smirked.

"Sure." Gerard shrugged.

"Splendid." Bert walked back to Frank and forced him to move in front of him as Jepha followed, before seeing Gerard.

"You know...If the young man fell so suddenly it's amazing how you still had time to remove your shoes and your jacket Mr.Way." Then he slowly caught up to Bert and Frank as Gerard bit his lip to talk back.

__

"I know you were trying to cover up for him Frankie dear." Bert said sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I wasn't. He did save me from falling over." That wasn't a lie.

"I don't know darling...I think he was trying to pull a fast one. Has he threatened you?" Bert got up and stood behind Frank who was looking out the window to sea.

"No Bert, I swear." Frank sighed as he felt a pair of arms encircle him.

"You better not be lieing...You know what happens to you when you do." Bert smirked.

Frank closed his eyes at the memory and nodded his head. "Yes."

"Good boy...Now, bed time sweetie. Tomorrow we shall join the captain for breakfast." Bert turned Franks head and kissed him forcefully on the lips. Frank only pulled away and looked back at the sea. "You know once we're married you can't do much anymore...You'll be mine forever...And there will be nothing you can do about it. So, I insist you learn how to please me better." Bert traced a hand up the front of Franks shirt.

"When you learn to respect me..." Frank sighed as he felt that hand push him against Bert's wanting body.

"No...I'm the one in charge I say what goes. And I want you now...Understand?" Bert gripped Frank neck with his other hand and felt him nod.

"Good boy...Be ready once I'm out the bathroom." He kissed him once more before letting him go.

Frank took deep breaths and let tears slowly find their way down his face. Why didn't he jump before? If he did none of this would be happening...