Angels of Unknown

Chapter 9

Kay's POV

I sat on the sofa and watched the TV, gulping at every word that was mentioned in the hospital soap. I felt sick for not telling Ravi what happened in the doctors. I felt sad that I couldn't tell him. Sad that I didn't trust him enough. “Dear God, please distract me,” I thought, staring up at the ceiling.

As if by magic there was a knock on the front door; causing me to jump and run to it, and open it. Breathing heavily on the other side of it was Lyn-z. I took her hand and pulled her in, dropping her on the couch.

“Lyn? What's wrong, hun?” I enquired, thrusting a glass of water into her hand, and tilting it up to her lips.

“What do I do, Kay? What do I do? Gerard is being a bastard; but I still love him, and the whole of this damn city thinks I'm a whore!”

“I don't think you're a whore! And Gee is a good man! He's done a lot for me and Ravi”

“Really?”

“Yup! A few years ago, he helped us put that shed up!” I gestured to the back garden. “We all got hella drunk- but it was fun! He helped Ravi and I with our problems, too”

She sat and stared at the floor, gulping.

“But he's changed. He hit me earlier, and he started to get drunk again. I don't like it, Kay!”

I surrounded her with a tight hug, and calmly whispered: “I know, hun, I know.”

“What do I do, Kay?” She begged, clutching at my back.

“Just wait. Everything'll be okay in the end!”

“Promise?”

“Promise,” I smiled warmly at her, taking her glass from her, and washing it up. To my relief, she had changed the channel when I had returned. As “Wildlife on One” slowly enchanted us with the story of “How Camels Mate”, she turned to me.

“So... what went on at the doctors, Kay?” Her face lit up with expectancy, “Are you pregnant!?”

I gulped and looked at my feet, searching for something to say. I got myself together, and started to tell her the truth.

“Well... See... Lyn-Z, I mi-”

The door slammed closed, to my relief, and Ravi came running in, bent double, red in the face. I cleared my throat and sat up.

“Baby!? What's wrong!?”

“Gerard... tried to... kill me...” he panted, rummaging for his inhaler in the draw next to me.

What!?” Lyn-z screamed, causing me to jump.

Ravi puffed his inhaler, and started to calm down.

“He tried to kill me. He ruined my fucking finger!” He held up his finger, and it was so horrible that I almost puked. It was bend backwards, and part of it had snapped. Yuck.

“He also put a knife to my neck, and said something about a guy called 'Frank'”

Lyn-Z gulped, and glared, mumbling: “I knew it. I knew that that wretched bastard wasn't worth it!”

She leapt up, and stormed out, shouting: “Thanks, Ravi!”

He winced, and asked her what to do about his finger as she closed the door.

Great going, hubby.

I was truly worried; Lyn-z was volatile, and I was worried where she would go...