Through The Eyes Of Skye

Chapter Two

“Skye… can you hear me?”

I can faintly hear Aubrey’s voice over my racing thoughts.

“Why me,” I mutter softly.

I feel my moist tears slide like a landslide down my frozen cheeks.

“I don’t know Skye, just remember we will get through this together, I will help you,” she reassures me.

I sigh as she helps me up onto my feet. We begin to walk, going where we set to go in the first place. Destination nowhere was just a path that seemed to call me with temptation. The kind of temptation that led Adam and Eve to eat that piece of forbidden fruit off of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Temptation gives you the knowledge to see what is naked to your very own eyes. The evil we think is around us is really deep inside us. Even Aubrey knows this; she’s an excelling student when it comes to my teachings. How could I have left her alone? Her heart left broken so many times by others, it was my goal to prove to her that love can only be found with the person you trust the most. Two people who know all the bad within each other’s lives and still never judge each other are those whose love will change this cruel world.

“Thinking about me I’m assuming,” she says after a period of silence.

The thing I love the most about her is the way she can read my every thought, every move, and she knows how I feel just by looking into my eyes.

“When am I not,” I ask her.

She giggles and I watch the shade of her face turn to a beat red.

“I’m thinking about you,” she whispers into my ear while she stands on her toes to reach me.

“What about me,” I say, in a questioning voice.

She smiles and wraps her arm around my waist.

“Well sweetie…. How should I put this? I never got why you used to try to make me happy all the time until now. You thought that you’d never be able to get me but you still tried. I knew all along that you were falling for me and it was killing you even more than you had been killing yourself at the time. Day by day I found myself slowly falling into a whole new kind of love. I realized that I could not find one other person who shared more in common with me than you. All those times you’d hurt yourself; a part of me would break inside. I doubted my feelings all the time, because I was so stuck on being scared of what my friends would think if they knew that men weren’t the only thing on my mind. Then I found out that the only way I could save you is by confessing to you how I felt. The fact that my friends turned their backs on me hurt at first, but then you showed me that I always had a friend in you. You were always there to catch me when I was falling. When somebody or something was hurting me you were there to protect me and showed me that I was not alone. I think you deserve to know, that is why I loved you and always will.”

Tears pour from her eyes. She has once again left me breathless as I turn to face her.

“I guess it’s my turn to tell you how I feel. Life has always been a struggle for me. It was hard living with the pain I felt everyday. I was scared of anyone finding out my secrets, until you came along. You let me in so easily to your life. All those stupid things I used to do, you never told me to stop. You only told me that we would work on it and you were going to help me get through it, no matter what it took. There had been times where I felt like a waste of your time and there were times where I felt so ignored by you. I came to face the fact that you had your friends and whenever they were around I became invisible. I would stay up wishing every night that just maybe you’d see that you became one of the reasons I destroyed myself. As much as I tried to block my love for you out, whenever we spoke it came back even stronger. Each one of my days was spent thinking of you, sleep had become a rare event. I hated having these feelings and knowing that I would never have a chance so I muted the love I had for you with the sharp edge of a razor blade. Every cut though only brought you nearer, as much as I tried to push you away. You felt the necessity to try and make everything better, even when every attempt seemed to be hopeless. The only thing I needed you to do was love me. To let me show you a whole side of you that you never even knew existed. I wanted to show you not the troubled girl that you knew, but me, the one who would treat you like the angel you are. I wanted to hold your hands in mine and for a moment just make every problem in your world go away. Whenever you hugged me, it felt like nothing could ever get between us. Aubrey, that is why I want you to never leave. I didn’t think I would ever be able to love again until I met you, and I love you more than anything in the world.”

We remain silent as Aubrey wipes away the tears from my face. As much as I hate seeing her I cry, I find her tears beautiful at the moment. I let her cry. I watch her as she lays her head upon my shoulder. The sun is going down and darkness settles in around us. We wrapped in each other’s comfort; protected from the night. Any step could take us closer to danger. I listen as the crickets chirp their soft melodies.

“Would you like to dance,” I ask.

Aubrey grins and puts her hands on my waist. I place mine upon her shoulders. We sway to the music and for a minute everything is calm.