Motley

DNA

“Master Bruce, you have been down here for a while now. Perhaps it is time to rest,” Alfred says behind him.

Bruce sighs, turning off the computer. “I just don’t want to believe it, Alfred.”

“Believe what, sir?” Bruce thinks of the kid, his small, innocent face.

He holds up the blond strands of hair. “The Joker has...a son. By Harley Quinn.”

Alfred’s mouth twists. “Dear God.”

“He can’t be older than five. I thought Joker kidnapped him at first, but the boy seemed comfortable with him....He was holding a knife, Alfred.” Bruce yawns and stands, taking the tray Alfred holds out for him. “Bane is acting up again, too. It’s going to be a long day, Alfred.”

“Indeed, sir.”
+++
Joker kneels in front of Motley, hands on his shoulders. “I’m gonna, ha, have a few friends over.”

The kid nods, smiling. “Can I see them?” Joker swallows, thinking how Scarecrow would react, or Two-Face. Any of them, really. Motley may not be aware of it, but he’s the Joker’s weakness. As soon as the others see him, Motley’s screwed.

Joker grins, shaking his head. “Nah. You’re, haha, too cool for them. I’m gonna hand you off for a few hours, let you play with some, hoo, new people.”

“Kay, J.”

Joker gives Motley to Ernie, the only one of his men he can possibly trust him with. “Take good care of the kid, or I’ll stick a firecracker up your ass,” he says, eyes narrowed dangerously.

“O-Okay, boss.” He picks Motley up and starts to walk away.

“Bye, J.” Joker just sneers.
+
“Alright, kid. What do you wanna do?” Ernie asks. Motley shrugs, holding tight to Harley’s filthy blanket. Ernie sniffs, frowning. “That thing reeks, kid.” Motley glares defensively. “We could wash it, y’know.” The kid doesn’t say anything. Ernie sighs. “It would make, uh, J, happy.”

Motley’s eyes light up. “J? Okay.”

He takes Ernie’s hand, waiting for him to walk. Ernie thinks it’s kinda interesting, how Motley’s so eager to please Joker. Just like his mother. Ernie leads Motley to what passes for the laundry room. He tosses Harley’s blanket into the washing machine, trying to ignore Motley’s small whine of worry.

They crouch in front of it, watching the blanket go round and round. “See, kid? It’s like an amusement park for clothes.” Motley gives him a blank look. “You have no idea what that is, do you?” Motley nods. “Well, uh, never mind, then. When it comes out, it’ll be all clean.”

“And J will be happy?”

Ernie nods. “And J will be happy.”
++
Joker’s meeting is over in a few hours. He’s bored, now. Scarecrow and Killer Croc are never very good company. He stretches his hands out, noting the small scars that dot his skin, and stands. It’s time to retrieve Motley.

The kid’s down in the basement, with Ernie. Harley’s blanket is clean and wrapped around him. He’s laughing as Ernie tosses him high in the air, catching him before he falls. “Higher, higher!” It’s the kind of adorable scene that sickens the Joker.

“No higher, kid. If I drop you, the boss will kill me.”

“Indeed I will.” Ernie gasps, putting Motley down.

“Uh, uh...boss. Hello.”

Joker nods at him, bending to examine Motley. “The blanket is clean.” Motley bounces around his legs, hoping for a compliment.

“Clean, J! Happy?”

“Sure.” Motley beams and hugs Joker’s leg. He’s not pushed away, for once. “I’m leaving in a bit, kid. Got a job to do.”

“Can I come?”

Joker shakes his head. “Nah. Maybe another time. Came down to say goodbye.” He shakes Motley off his leg and leaves.
++
Joker is leaning against a safe, coins tumbling from his fingers. Gotham Mutual is an easy place to rob, almost fun. Joker hits it whenever he wants a relaxing day of slaughter. Of course, the Batman has to show up and ruin it. “Batman. I didn’t bring, HA!, the kid this time,” he tells the dark figure before him.

Batman glares and cracks his knuckles. “You, ah, believe me now? He’s MINE!”

“Shut up, Joker. Give the kid up while he’s still sane enough to have a normal life.”

Joker goes very still. “But, ah, you, hoo-boy!, you believe he’s mine, right? Cause, aha!, when something prec-i-ous belongs to me I like people to, haha!, knoooowwww!”

“He’s yours, Joker. Yours and Harley Quinn’s.”

Joker snarls and loses his smile. “Don’t talk about HARLEY QUINN. She’s DEAD, mhm. Haha, she’s dead dead dead dead dead. She, haha, killed herself.” He shakes his head with mock sympathy. “Always knew, HA, little Harley wasn’t, ah, strong enough for, haha, this world.”

Batman growls and lunges for him, catching his eye. Joker steps backward, tutting, “Naughty, naughty, Bats. What kind of boy do you, hoo, think I am?” He kicks at Batman with his knife shoes, gets a few good blows in while he’s distracted. Joker feels the puffy spot where Batman got his eye and frowns.

“Aw, Batsy, you hurt my pretty face. Not, hah, not very nice.” He hears the satisfying ‘snick’ of his blade going through Batman’s armor and laughs. “Oops! Gotta run, Batsy. See you later!” He gathers up some money and leaves.
++
Motley is sleeping when Joker gets home. The kid is curled up on the bed, head on Harley’s blanket, a knife in each fist. His face is very peaceful. Joker wonders if he ever looked that innocent. He hopes not. One of Motley’s eyes crack open as Joker slides his jacket off, checking for any major wounds. “J?”

“Mmph.”

Joker turns to him, not thinking about his new black eye. Motley’s jaw drops. “J! Your eye!”

“It’s nothing, Mot. Just a, ha, parting gift from the Batman.”

Motley frowns, fingers dancing along his knives. “I hate Batman!”

Joker chuckles as he heads to the bathroom. “Attaboy, Motley. Taking after your dad.” Motley’s asleep again when he returns.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been writing and writing this lately, already on the third season of Batman: The Animated Series. Really excited :D